By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Project Athia next gen's Deep Down?

So every generation there is a game thats showcased around the launch period that looks amazing but is stuck in development hell and never comes out. Last year we had Deep Down which was actually one of the reasons I got a PS4. Is Project Athia this gen's vapourware? I don't know why but I just feel it is, especially considering how early it is in development.

Around the Network

Deep Down had a 2 minute CGI trailer that showcased a game looking like it ripped off of Dark Souls, that got you to buy a ps4...?Project Athia is by Square Enix whom I don't remember half ass their projects nor cancel their projects and by a new studio to boot.

I hope not.

Was Deep Down ever officially cancelled?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I have a few candidates for the next will never come out game like a Deep Down or Frame City Killer.

Pragmata

Athia

Project Mara

Why I hate CGI trailers and I hate showing stuff off early. I don't think a game should be shown unless it's a few months to a year from release and ALWAYS show gameplay in trailers. Bonus points for real hud.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Was Deep Down ever officially cancelled?

No, but many canceled projects don't. The engine was abandoned and people who worked on it went to work on other games. I think Capcom wants to return to the idea someday but don't bet on it. Agent was never officially canned but it's pretty clear it is unless they pull a Ni-oh on us. (Ni-Oh was announced in 2004 for PS3)

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by Leynos - on 19 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm still waiting for Agent to alert me to new missions on my cellphone at work. A cellphone is the precursor to the smartphone.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

twintail said:
Drakrami said:
Deep Down had a 2 minute CGI trailer that showcased a game looking like it ripped off of Dark Souls, that got you to buy a ps4...?Project Athia is by Square Enix whom I don't remember half ass their projects nor cancel their projects and by a new studio to boot.

Well I've actually played Deep Down before though. 

Hot damn.. I forgot it had a demo. The game looked so good. Its a shame they scrapped the engine/and game.

">

Deep down is playable and got a 30min - 1 hour gameplay on youtube. Project athia on the other hand is a square enix title which means we may never see it next gen.

Please be excited.. 10 years later!