By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Detroit Become Human PC - Native 4K vs Checkerboard Rendering on PS4 Pro, why native 4k is useless

Tagged games:

vivster said:
DonFerrari said:
A little less clarity but costing half of the processing power it is a great trade-off.

Compromises are a good thing. I mean that's what consoles are; gigantic pieces of compromises for a good price. Things only get dangerous when people start claiming that compromises are the only proper way to do things.

Or when people start claiming that theres no reason at all to compromise with anything,
everyone should just fork out thusands of $ every few years, to keep a PC up to date, if not you shouldnt be playing games anyways.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
vivster said:

Compromises are a good thing. I mean that's what consoles are; gigantic pieces of compromises for a good price. Things only get dangerous when people start claiming that compromises are the only proper way to do things.

Or when people start claiming that theres no reason at all to compromise with anything,
everyone should just fork out thusands of $ every few years, to keep a PC up to date, if not you shouldnt be playing games anyways.

Haven't heard that one yet. If anything you need to upgrade PCs less frequent than consoles. I guess that's what choice is all about.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Thread is hilarious!

Anyways, it's funny they mention 1800p, because I generally go between 4K and 1800p (set up as a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel), depending on the graphical demand of a game. I haven't really come across a game in 1800p that doesn't manage to hit 60fps 95% of the time, and from the distance I game, I can't really tell other than noticing an ever so slight softening of edges. It's my compromise that doesn't really feel like a compromise, like 1440p does.

HollyGamer said:
Angelus said:
This thread is hilarious on so many levels. Not just because you're wrong, and completely misunderstood what was said in the video, but also because I'm pretty sure I saw you in another thread telling people they need to watch the PS5 game presentations in 4K on youtube to really appreciate how good they look. Now suddenly 4k is a waste of power. Classic.

Suddenly DSLL is waste on Xbox SX and Nvidia GPU . Now many GPU implemented DLSS which is checkerboard rendering 

DLSS 2.0 is not checkerboard rendering...It's an AI taking higher quality image like a 16k image and actually creating a lower resolution image like a 4k image. Or it will take a 540p image and reconstruct it to 1080p making it a very sharp 1080p image. 

Nvidia has a dedicated video explaining what DLSS actually is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1RtXCvPFQ

Yes, this is nvidia tech so it's not available on any non NVIDIA cards, the only console that may use it in the future is the switch 2. Nvidia uses DLSS 2.0 on their Nvidia Shield pro tv which mind you the shield is practically a nintendo switch. It's a nifty piece of technology that will free up a lot of resources. Checker boarding is no where near what DLSS 2.0 can do. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Native 4k is tough still. a 2080ti Can't max out all games 4k 60fps.

It's why I went for 1440p 144hz. Maybe another 2/3 years we can start seeing 4k high refresh rate max settings on high fidelity games soon.

That's pretty much where I'm at, and likely will be for a few years more. 1440p 144hz is just too good of a sweet spot for me to pass up. I'll probably go for 4k, when 4k OLED monitors are cheap and do 144hz. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

'Why Native 4K is Useless', the hit follow-up to, 'Why Low Framerate is More Cinematic'.

Native 4k > Checkerboard.

This video clearly shows this. Sure its a decent solution if a device doesnt have the resources however its still a backward step.

Bonzinga said:

This video clearly shows this. Sure its a decent solution if a device doesnt have the resources however its still a backward step.

Its a technique thats less demanding than running 1500p is, that beats base resolutions of upto 1800p.
Thats not a "backwards step" thats a technology that allows a console to punch above its weight.

Also sure 4k is the best.... but what if in this game, its too demanding to be realistic?
The PC with a 2080 ti struggles to keep above 60 fps in this game, at 4k.

4K native is obviously ideal. Just because some brands plan to hit that target more then others gives no reason to downplay it.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

JRPGfan said:
Bonzinga said:

Its a technique thats less demanding than running 1500p is, that beats base resolutions of upto 1800p.
Thats not a "backwards step" thats a technology that allows a console to punch above its weight.

Where do you come to the conclusion that 4K checkerboard is less demanding than running 1500p?

It is only less demanding than running 1800p.