By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your mind, what will the Xbox SX conference have to do to beat the PS5 conference?

Tagged games:

Answer the damned question!

Fantastic games 65 51.18%

100% backwards compatible with every Xbox 3 2.36%

VR Support 3 2.36%

Shockingly low price 21 16.54%

There's NOTHING they can do 31 24.41%

Other (please explain) 4 3.15%

Total:127

I'm quiet sure MS will do very well in their next Even in July. I believe Halo Infinite will be a big surprise for many people. Just my sixth Sense.

They could show Hellblade 2, Forza 8, a New Fable Game, Halo Infinite of course, a new IP, Project : Mara, a new Perfect Dark. MS need to wow everybody, it's a must after losing bad VS PS4.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Won’t take much tbh, just like it wouldn’t take much for Sony to beat the third party presentation MS had. The Sony even was just fine, certainly failed to live up to the hype a lot of PS fans built though. We were supposed to be flooded with amazing looking PS5 only games, elevated to heights not possible on PC or XSX. Instead we got a slew of multiplats and a pretty good looking Ratchet presentation that honestly could be done on either of those platforms.

What will get me most excited is a great looking Infinite showing. Forza whether it’s Motorsports or Horizon will be amazing. Fable showing. Something from Obsidian. Gears Tactics XSX footage and release date.

Also extremely interested in Smart Delivery upgrades to current gen MS games. Can’t wait to see how SoD2 or GoW play on the XSX but maybe they save this for the next one.

Well... the bar is super low to beat Sony for me. I was terribly disappointed by Sony’s reveal. Only thing that interested me from Sony was horizon 2, so just showing halo would probably match that. If they then brought out some games like a new fable? Perhaps obsidians next project? A next gen Minecraft? Showed some elder scrolls or a new BioWare game for third party stuff? Microsoft has the IP and the potential to have a decent showcase now. It’s just a question of whether Microsoft can actually realize their potential. They certainly didn’t this gen...

hinch said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

2) Have Rockstar come out and announce GTA6 as a timed exclusive.  It will come to Series X one year before PS5.

This makes my head hurt. Will never happen, Rockstar games are way too big to be money hatted. Hypothetically in some blizzaro alternate reality it would be true, they lose a lot of money from the revenue they would get from in-game purchases alone.

Already did happen and could easily happen again.  Rockstar is big in gaming terms.  It is small potatoes compared to a big tech company like Microsoft.

d21lewis said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Do they need to beat Sony's conference or beat Sony's console?  Those are two very different questions.  For the past couple of years I've been hearing Microsoft had the best show at E3.  Meanwhile their console sales are in the toilet.  Microsoft is really good at being "showy".  They figure out tricks like showing off a bunch of third party games first even though those same games are going to also be on Playstation.  So people say that have the best show and then turn around and buy a Playstation anyway.

The #1 thing a company can do to make their system successful is have great exclusive games.  For Microsoft this would be even better if they have exclusives that really show of their hardware capabilities and are also available in the first 12 months after launch including a launch exclusive that is at least as good as Spider-Man.  I think Sony has the long term advantage in game development with their SSD, but it's also going to be a few years before we really start seeing games that make full use of it's capabilities.  That means Microsoft has the advantage in the short term because their system is technically more powerful.  They need games (ideally really fun games) that show that off. 

Here are some other things that will put Microsoft on top.  If they did all of the things I'm suggesting they could launch with price parity and still crush Sony.

1) Leverage Minecraft to keep people from PS5.  They could say, "We are promoting cross-play with all of our platform partners."  Who would be their partners?  Series X, PC, Switch, and Mobile.  Everything but PS5.  On top of that they need to update the console versions of Minecraft to include the most popular mods from the PC.

2) Have Rockstar come out and announce GTA6 as a timed exclusive.  It will come to Series X one year before PS5.

3) Keep having a steady stream of exclusive games.  This is especially true for the first couple of years.  Eventually enough third party games will release, and that will be the main driver of sales, but in the first couple of years they can really distinguish themselves from Sony with exclusive content.

If they did everything I suggested, then they would crush Sony in Generation 9.  If they only do some of the things then they'd be competitve, assuming price parity.  On the other hand if their conference mostly shows a lot of third party games and maybe just a couple of exclusives, most games don't have a soon release date, and they've got nothing at launch that can compete with Spider-Man, then Sony is going to hand their ass to them again.

Let's just get this out of the way: at least in sales, they're never gonna beat Sony worldwide. Right now, the best thing they can do is have a conference next month where people with a "Microsoft won E3" mindset. Better games, noticably more impressive hardware, a few tricks that Sony hasn't thought of yet, a mind-blowing game pass announcement, maybe a partnership with a prominent company. Something that gets the attention off of Sony and getting everyone to talk about M$.

I don't believe that statement is even remotely correct.  In Generation 6, franchises like GTA and Final Fantasy were Sony exclusives.  In Generation 7 they became multiplat.  In fact, most third party games became multiplat.  That was considered impossible until it actually happened.  If Microsoft is willing to spend a lot of money then they can seriously change the gaming landscape.  On the other hand it felt like they gave up after a few years with the XBox1.  If we get this kind of effort again with Series X then I have to agree with you.  Microsoft can't beat Sony with the same kind of effort they put forward with the XB1, but they can with the effort they put behind XB360.  Who knows which version of Microsoft we are going to get this time?

Also there is a reason why I outlined the strategy I did.  It is designed more to attack PS5 than it is to help Series X.  If they take Minecraft and GTA6 off of the PS5, then people might get a Series X or they might get a Switch or PC instead.  All of this still helps Microsoft.  In fact, I think they would prefer people to be on the PC over an XBox system anyway.  

This all depends on what they are willing to do and what their goals are for the Series X.  We won't really know until we get all of their console details.  It's all specuation at this point.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 13 June 2020

Show more big console exclusives other than gears halo and Forza.

And shockingly low price.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
It's simple.
Sony has announced 20 exclusive titles. https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9164448
MS needs to announce more than 21 exclusive titles.

Technically MS has already announced 8 timed or fully exclusive titles (The Ascent, Call of the Sea, Project Mara, Hellblade 2, Everwild, Halo Infinite, Scorn, and The Medium), so wouldn't they only need to announce 13 more on the July show to surpass Sony? 

Did you think Sony had published all of thier exclusives ?
They'll have another announcement in the future.

shikamaru317 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Did you think Sony had published all of thier exclusives ?
They'll have another announcement in the future.

MS will also be announcing more games in the future though, they're not going to announce everything they have at the July event. If Sony announced 20 timed or full exclusives at their reveal event this past week, and MS has already announced 9 timed or full exclusives between X019, The Game Awards 2019, and their May event, then that means that MS only need to announce 12 more timed or full exclusives on their July event to surpass what Sony has already announced. 

Why would you lump together 2 events to suit your narrative? You either compare it to that weak ass event they show in june or you compare it to the potential event in july. Because if you use your example any future event could determine how a past event is received. That just does not make sense. Once you got that fowl taste on your mouth from the may event, nothing shone in the future will cleanse it. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

They would need to dig deep into that war chest and purchase Take Two, Nintendo & Square Enix!

hinch said:

It really isn't that hard to build a PC. But the amount of time people spend on here talking exclusives, you could just buy a PC and you would have had the chance to play more games and end up costing you way less in the long run. Most of these console 'exclusives' are available on there anyway. You can just buy a console when there's a game that you really want to play launches on it.

Granted I know it isn't for everyone and not everyone like to tinker. Anyway we shouldn't derail the thread anymore xP

The issue is that it would cost the same, or maybe even a little more, to buy a PC with matching specs to the PS5/XBsX as it would to just buy both consoles. Plus, unless crossplay becomes more widely implemented, he most likely won't be able to play a lot of games with his friends, if he's into that. He'll also be locked into digital only, which may be an issue depending on where he lives and what kind of internet he can afford.

Also, the consoles can play 4k Blu Rays without struggling with the dumbass DRM these companies have in place. I dunno about him, but still a selling point for me.

Anounce Uncharted 5, Syphon Filter 4 and some others, so impossible for me =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."