By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "Lack" of value on Final Fantasy VII Remake

Is FFVIIR part 1 enough of a game for full price?

Yes 23 60.53%

No 15 39.47%

No game is worth 60 USD 0 0%

Total:38

I’m not a fan of the game being split up. I actually haven’t bought it and probably won’t until all the parts are released. I’m also not a fan of the combat system. I enjoyed the original turn based style much more.

I actually feel dumb for being one of the fans that petitioned for a remake. I should have known square would ruin my childhood...

Around the Network
gergroy said:
I’m not a fan of the game being split up. I actually haven’t bought it and probably won’t until all the parts are released. I’m also not a fan of the combat system. I enjoyed the original turn based style much more.

I actually feel dumb for being one of the fans that petitioned for a remake. I should have known square would ruin my childhood...

I will never understand this sentiment. If a remake or reboot of a movie or game ruins your childhood. Maybe your childhood wasn't very good, to begin with? You always have the original. Star Trek is one of my fave franchises and they have destroyed it with the JJ films and recent TV series. I just pretend they don't exist and still enjoy the older films and TV shows.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I wasn't a fan when StarCraft 2 got split into 3 parts, definitely not a fan of other games doing it either.
It feels like a cash grab in order for a company to make the absolute largest return on their investment, it's good for the company, but I don't feel it's beneficial for the consumer.

What will probably suck is that... The future releases for the game will probably not release on the Playstation 4, so PS4 gamers might not be able to get the entire FF7 remake experience.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Leynos said:
gergroy said:

I will never understand this sentiment. If a remake or reboot of a movie or game ruins your childhood. Maybe your childhood wasn't very good, to begin with? You always have the original. Star Trek is one of my fave franchises and they have destroyed it with the JJ films and recent TV series. I just pretend they don't exist and still enjoy the older films and TV shows.

I do consider they all parallel world stories liking or not (if they are not sequels they are what if scenarios to me). Like Saint Seiya CGI movie that retold in summary the sanctuary war. I really liked it because I considered isolated from the original story and laughed at some differences and liked some similarities and deviations, if I was going to be upset by all changes I would be really upset. Now the Netflix remake is a lot worse case. They even changed the entry song and several voice actors, besides all the story changes that were very bad.

Pemalite said:
I wasn't a fan when StarCraft 2 got split into 3 parts, definitely not a fan of other games doing it either.
It feels like a cash grab in order for a company to make the absolute largest return on their investment, it's good for the company, but I don't feel it's beneficial for the consumer.

What will probably suck is that... The future releases for the game will probably not release on the Playstation 4, so PS4 gamers might not be able to get the entire FF7 remake experience.

Well many games have crossed gens without having a release on the previous one for the new entry, like Tomb Raider newer trilogy or Legacy of Kain (I do remember to this day finishing Soul Reaver 1 and at the end no cutscene just a continue on Playstation 2... at the time I didn't even know there would be a PS2).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Leynos said:

I do consider they all parallel world stories liking or not (if they are not sequels they are what if scenarios to me). Like Saint Seiya CGI movie that retold in summary the sanctuary war. I really liked it because I considered isolated from the original story and laughed at some differences and liked some similarities and deviations, if I was going to be upset by all changes I would be really upset. Now the Netflix remake is a lot worse case. They even changed the entry song and several voice actors, besides all the story changes that were very bad.

Pemalite said:

Well many games have crossed gens without having a release on the previous one for the new entry, like Tomb Raider newer trilogy or Legacy of Kain (I do remember to this day finishing Soul Reaver 1 and at the end no cutscene just a continue on Playstation 2... at the time I didn't even know there would be a PS2).

The difference here it's a single game split up into multiple parts, so I would personally believe there should be a stronger emphasis on releasing all those parts on a single platform.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

The difference here it's a single game split up into multiple parts, so I would personally believe there should be a stronger emphasis on releasing all those parts on a single platform.

Split compared to FFVIIR sure, still LOTR for example is a single book and Godfather as well both were turned in 3 movies (and in godfather case took a long time). It is just a matter of perspective, a trilogy is still one story split in 3. It is just that you are hang on the original being single piece. Still the remake is enough content and self-contained to be satisfying by itself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Leynos said:
gergroy said:

It’s obviously a form of hyperbole, used to emphasize a point.  It did not literally ruin my childhood.  Basically, I’m not happy with the way square went about remaking this game.  

I didn't even know this games comes in multiple pieces. Well, not buying this Humpty Dumpty until the king's men have put it back together.

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Split compared to FFVIIR sure, still LOTR for example is a single book and Godfather as well both were turned in 3 movies (and in godfather case took a long time). It is just a matter of perspective, a trilogy is still one story split in 3. It is just that you are hang on the original being single piece. Still the remake is enough content and self-contained to be satisfying by itself.

I dunno. Just doesn't sit well with me.

I mean... Mass Effect was amazing because there was no "generational leap" in all three games, they all use the same game engine and they were all released on the same hardware, so playing through all three games is great and not jarring.

I would have preferred it being a single release though... And one day I might get that opportunity if Bioware pulls it's finger out.

JWeinCom said:
Despite what my ex says, length doesn't matter... or at least it's not the only thing that matters.

The complaint about splitting it into parts wasn't so much about the game being short, it was about a) having a lot of filler and b)having to buy three or more games to experience the complete narrative.

To avoid accusations of bias, I'll use Xenoblade Chronicles as an example instead. There are a ton of sidequests in this game that you have to do if you want to unlock certain things... and a lot of them suck. Halving the number of sidequests would have meant less game, but it would actually make me enjoy it more.

FF7 Remake is just not a complete narrative. By the end of the story the conflict is completely unresolved, and aside from Cloud becoming maybe slightly less stiff, there's not a ton of character growth. Whereas a game like Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 is despite being being part of a larger story. It seems like to get the full narrative experience we're looking at at least 3 games for 180 bucks (if we buy them full price), and potentially upwards of 100 hours. Which... if you really love the game, I guess is a good thing. But in a world where I have limited time, limited funds, and a lot of games, there is something to be said for a more compact experience.

It's hard to judge whether or not the decision was a good one before seeing how the rest of the still undetermined number of parts are done. But again, it's really not about the length. The game's length is perfectly acceptable for an action RPG. That being said, I felt that the original game which took me about 25 hours with doing pretty much all the sidequests besides Chocobo racing (the 3x speed mode is a godsend) provided a more complete and ultimately fulfilling experience than the Remake, which to be clear I liked very much, provided.

Captain_Yuri have you taken to editing the beginning of JWeincom's posts or is it a case where you may need to speak with your lawyer.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot