By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "Lack" of value on Final Fantasy VII Remake

Is FFVIIR part 1 enough of a game for full price?

Yes 23 60.53%

No 15 39.47%

No game is worth 60 USD 0 0%

Total:38

Value is subjective. A lot of people complained about the length of RE3 remake and I’ve played over 250 hours of the multiplayer. Are those people complaining about RE3 replay factor wrong? No. They just value things differently.

I’ll buy FF7R years from now when it’s a full product and can be completed. Idc how long you played part one, I won’t buy it. But I do this for most media. I didn’t watch the It remake until both chapters were out.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

I'm guessing you're doing the 3" person team vs top secrets"?

I've put in just about the same amount of hours as you have (just need to finish the game on hard to platinum it) and as a game itself has more than enough values to justify the full price and im happy with that.

Yes you are right. I didn`t the Aerith challenges on chapter 9 so when I reached 17 on hard this battle wasn`t available so I`m doing it after finishing on Hard. Any tips for 4 round? And you done the better way because the last chapter becomes much easier with the item you get from the top secret battle.

Ive seen some people use Tifa or Aerith as their main but I stuck with Cloud, so use the character you enjoy/know the best.  I would suggest giving Magnify+Regen for Aerith and make sure she keeps casting it to your party every chance you get/when the spell is done, and cast Manwall for every character before Bahamut's Mega Flare.  When Ifrit pops out keep attacking Bahamut and save Ifrit last.  Dodge and heal (if regen isn't enough) when you can and just keep hacking away at him with Cloud.  Once you get the hang of it it'll be a piece of cake.  Good luck! :)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Its better a RPG that is 40 hours and is like ff7 than a RPG that is a grind fest and is full of repetive shit but its like 80 hours like persona 5

I actually agree, for me 40h for platinum is a very good time.

But persona I also liked so it isn't really about the duration for me as well.

JWeinCom said:
DonFerrari said:

That is what she said...

Yes I would do with no sidequests if possible, didn`t like them (at most accepted the intel ones) but platinum required it.

On char development I will agree that Cloud is pretty stoic (I think they will reserve the development for the second title since we only got hints of his past, won`t say more for spoiler reasons). I felt the game was complete considering there will be continuation but the main plot for it was resolved, you had to stand against shinra and did, only to discover there are higher dangers for you to go on the next game.

I also didn`t felt the game had a lot of padding. Sure I would like I could walk faster in some parts and didn`t need to do some fetch and point a to b and back, but all the content for me felt meaningfull and tied down giving a full narrative.

There's nothing wrong with Cloud being stoic... but a character arc implies that a character grows as a result of what they have learned through a conflict.  It would be a stretch to say that happened in FF7 Remake.

As for padding, it depends on what you'd call "a lot".  For instance I'd say that the part where you *minor spoilers maybe* sabotage a boss was pretty unnecessary.  As was the whole train graveyard sequence (I know this was in the original game but it was much shorter).  The sequence where you control Barrett also added little to the game.  It's not absurdly excessive, but it's definitely there.  

Again, the main point is that a single 40 hour game could be as enjoyable as several 40 hour games.  We'll see when all is said and done if that's the case here.

Yes I do agree that there was little development for him on FF7R, for Barret there is some as well of him comprehending and accepting Cloud a little. For me Cloud is quite subtly the suggestions, he keeps distance and silence, but you can see he care.

About the 3 points on padding I do agree they could be without (but for me the worse was getting out of the room without noise, and that was in the original as well), but it makes sense to sabotage a boss to make it easier.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Its better a RPG that is 40 hours and is like ff7 than a RPG that is a grind fest and is full of repetive shit but its like 80 hours like persona 5

As a fan of Persona and Final Fantasy, i disagree. Both type of games are great. Persona 5 is one of the best games of all-time and Royal sealed the deal for the title. FF7R is a great, innovative game, but not top-gen rpg or something.

At least he said "like", and yes there is a lot of grind and repetition on the game even if we like it like that. On FFVIIR I was able to max level and materias without grinding, I just done all the battles while exploring and advancing.

Leynos said:

It's not the length. It's what they filled it with. Padding. A bunch of padding of crappy sidequests and a new stupid KH like plot.

I don't hate the idea of breaking the game up but not overly fond of it either. Then Xenoblade DE spoils me. A remake with the entire game with QOL fixes and an additional 20-hour post-game story. Where FF7R is sidequests the game and they are so damn dumb. Nomura has a way of just making everything worse to me.

Have you played it? And you first paragraph contradicts the second. You say lenght isn`t a problem but then makes sure to touch that for you it is important.

Finally plat with 82h of gameplay. If I were better player probably could reduce to 75 and if I skipped all the cutscenes on the second playthrough would get to 70 (the estimative for plat was 60-70 on the page), but since I enjoyed most of the 82h I don`t mind taking longer to plat (P5 I probably got 120h, royal will be 150 then).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes you are right. I didn`t the Aerith challenges on chapter 9 so when I reached 17 on hard this battle wasn`t available so I`m doing it after finishing on Hard. Any tips for 4 round? And you done the better way because the last chapter becomes much easier with the item you get from the top secret battle.

Ive seen some people use Tifa or Aerith as their main but I stuck with Cloud, so use the character you enjoy/know the best.  I would suggest giving Magnify+Regen for Aerith and make sure she keeps casting it to your party every chance you get/when the spell is done, and cast Manwall for every character before Bahamut's Mega Flare.  When Ifrit pops out keep attacking Bahamut and save Ifrit last.  Dodge and heal (if regen isn't enough) when you can and just keep hacking away at him with Cloud.  Once you get the hang of it it'll be a piece of cake.  Good luck! :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/g4olv1/how_to_beat_threeperson_team_vs_top_secrets_pride/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

This solved for me, only change was instead of lightining (to damage better the last boss and leviathan) I used ice on armor on barret. So Barret killed Shiva alone, Chocobo is irrelevant, Leviathan I blasted with Barret as well (didn`t even need manawall and haste for the 3 first fights). Cloud with the fire armor was easy to kill Ifrit and do a lot of damage on last Pride. The only issue really was killing bahamut, but yes staying close to it and holding defense for the auto counter made it a lot easier. And worse yet I thought that when he reached 50% the megaexplosion would be negated (since he called Ifrit), but lucked that I had my autorecovery from the weapon available), got in trouble for like 1 min but was able to use cloud to recover Aerith, Aerith to revive cloud and then revive barret, after that the battle was actually quite easy as I had recovered 2 LBs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

JWeinCom said:

There's nothing wrong with Cloud being stoic... but a character arc implies that a character grows as a result of what they have learned through a conflict.  It would be a stretch to say that happened in FF7 Remake.

As for padding, it depends on what you'd call "a lot".  For instance I'd say that the part where you *minor spoilers maybe* sabotage a boss was pretty unnecessary.  As was the whole train graveyard sequence (I know this was in the original game but it was much shorter).  The sequence where you control Barrett also added little to the game.  It's not absurdly excessive, but it's definitely there.  

Again, the main point is that a single 40 hour game could be as enjoyable as several 40 hour games.  We'll see when all is said and done if that's the case here.

Yes I do agree that there was little development for him on FF7R, for Barret there is some as well of him comprehending and accepting Cloud a little. For me Cloud is quite subtly the suggestions, he keeps distance and silence, but you can see he care.

About the 3 points on padding I do agree they could be without (but for me the worse was getting out of the room without noise, and that was in the original as well), but it makes sense to sabotage a boss to make it easier.

JapaneseGamesLover said:

As a fan of Persona and Final Fantasy, i disagree. Both type of games are great. Persona 5 is one of the best games of all-time and Royal sealed the deal for the title. FF7R is a great, innovative game, but not top-gen rpg or something.

At least he said "like", and yes there is a lot of grind and repetition on the game even if we like it like that. On FFVIIR I was able to max level and materias without grinding, I just done all the battles while exploring and advancing.

Leynos said:

It's not the length. It's what they filled it with. Padding. A bunch of padding of crappy sidequests and a new stupid KH like plot.

I don't hate the idea of breaking the game up but not overly fond of it either. Then Xenoblade DE spoils me. A remake with the entire game with QOL fixes and an additional 20-hour post-game story. Where FF7R is sidequests the game and they are so damn dumb. Nomura has a way of just making everything worse to me.

Have you played it? And you first paragraph contradicts the second. You say lenght isn`t a problem but then makes sure to touch that for you it is important.

Finally plat with 82h of gameplay. If I were better player probably could reduce to 75 and if I skipped all the cutscenes on the second playthrough would get to 70 (the estimative for plat was 60-70 on the page), but since I enjoyed most of the 82h I don`t mind taking longer to plat (P5 I probably got 120h, royal will be 150 then).

Doesn't contradict at all. Length is not the issue. It's what you fill it with. 5 hours. 30 hours. 80 hours. I don't care but if you fill it with meaningless crap, it's just crap just longer crap. A game that would be 10 hours without the lazy sidequests beefed up to 30 hours instead of 20-25 hours of substantial story and 5-10 hours of side quests. Much like the size of an open world doesn't matter. it's what you fill it with to do. Those sidequests should the distraction. FF7R makes it feel like the story is a distraction from the sidequests. Not that the story is much good anyway.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/g4olv1/how_to_beat_threeperson_team_vs_top_secrets_pride/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

This solved for me, only change was instead of lightining (to damage better the last boss and leviathan) I used ice on armor on barret. So Barret killed Shiva alone, Chocobo is irrelevant, Leviathan I blasted with Barret as well (didn`t even need manawall and haste for the 3 first fights). Cloud with the fire armor was easy to kill Ifrit and do a lot of damage on last Pride. The only issue really was killing bahamut, but yes staying close to it and holding defense for the auto counter made it a lot easier. And worse yet I thought that when he reached 50% the megaexplosion would be negated (since he called Ifrit), but lucked that I had my autorecovery from the weapon available), got in trouble for like 1 min but was able to use cloud to recover Aerith, Aerith to revive cloud and then revive barret, after that the battle was actually quite easy as I had recovered 2 LBs.

That's awesome congrats!! Pride and Joy was way too easy.  Not sure if i just got lucky but all I did was kept standing behind him the entire fight and hacked him to death lol

Leynos said:
DonFerrari said:

Doesn't contradict at all. Length is not the issue. It's what you fill it with. 5 hours. 30 hours. 80 hours. I don't care but if you fill it with meaningless crap, it's just crap just longer crap. A game that would be 10 hours without the lazy sidequests beefed up to 30 hours instead of 20-25 hours of substantial story and 5-10 hours of side quests. Much like the size of an open world doesn't matter. it's what you fill it with to do. Those sidequests should the distraction. FF7R makes it feel like the story is a distraction from the sidequests. Not that the story is much good anyway.

Eeerrrr the sidequests in total probably don`t take 3h so the 82h I had the sidequests where a very small portion of it even if they were 26 sidequests.

I have no idea of which version of FFVIIR you played if you felt the story was a distraction from the sidequests (even more since you can ignore all but a single sidequest on chapter 3).

But we get it you don`t like FFVIIR.

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

That's awesome congrats!! Pride and Joy was way too easy.  Not sure if i just got lucky but all I did was kept standing behind him the entire fight and hacked him to death lol

I didn`t even stand behind his leg, he used like 3 times the attack he smash you for like 4.5k damage, 4 times he grabbed me, but barret shooting the hand made it almost irrelevant. Having the fire armor probably made it a breeze.

I just wish there had been a way to keep at least some of the scope and scale of the remake while providing the entire story of the original game from Cloud getting off the train to Cloud omnislashing Sephiroth. I'd have accepted a remake with graphics equivalent to Dragon Quest XI if it had the entire game in it. I enjoyed Part I, and it looks pretty as hell, but it seems like there was a lot of feature creep in it.

Much like many others, I enjoyed every bit of it so that's enough value for me.
I dont make any correlation between playtime and price. I can think of AAA games that can be finished in 10-15 hrs and are still worth the price tag.
If we are to expect the same quality and similar amount of content for part 2, I'll gladly pay $60 for it.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Leynos said:

FF7R makes it feel like the story is a distraction from the sidequests. 

First time i Saw Someone saying the story is a distraction from the sidequests. From all the hotakes about this game this has to BE the weirdest, most irracional and wrong. Are you sure you played the same game the other millions of players played?

irracional?

Is that some word for something race related? What does race have to do with anything? :/

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!