By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The "Lack" of value on Final Fantasy VII Remake

Is FFVIIR part 1 enough of a game for full price?

Yes 23 60.53%

No 15 39.47%

No game is worth 60 USD 0 0%

Total:38

We have heard a lot of complains about the game being split over several releases (some of us estimate 3 parts, others think it will be a lot more, and used an interview of making smaller portions to release faster, but that didn't said in comparison to part 1 but compared to original game), and feeling of incomplete game and short for a JRPG.

I'm one superboss win away from platinum (thinking how to deal with the 4th guardian before the superboss) and have put 80h on it watching all the cutscenes and dying a couple times per boss. For everyone to have an idea the first play I took about 40h on easy with all sidequests done, then another 25-30h for hard with no sidequest. Then chapter selection to do 2 sidequests, collect 3 final dresses and now some challenges to get the last trophy.

I will say that compared to other JRPGs 80h is very reasonable duration, it is much bigger than most games out there even without being open world, the story is pretty good, the Cutscenes are great enough to watch twice in a row, and the game is satisfying and enough to be called a full game with a reasonable ending for the arch of story and being clear that it will continue.

Do anyone that finished the game still think it isn't worth the pricetag compared to standard game out there?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Despite what my ex says, length doesn't matter... or at least it's not the only thing that matters.

The complaint about splitting it into parts wasn't so much about the game being short, it was about a) having a lot of filler and b)having to buy three or more games to experience the complete narrative.

To avoid accusations of bias, I'll use Xenoblade Chronicles as an example instead. There are a ton of sidequests in this game that you have to do if you want to unlock certain things... and a lot of them suck. Halving the number of sidequests would have meant less game, but it would actually make me enjoy it more.

FF7 Remake is just not a complete narrative. By the end of the story the conflict is completely unresolved, and aside from Cloud becoming maybe slightly less stiff, there's not a ton of character growth. Whereas a game like Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 is despite being being part of a larger story. It seems like to get the full narrative experience we're looking at at least 3 games for 180 bucks (if we buy them full price), and potentially upwards of 100 hours. Which... if you really love the game, I guess is a good thing. But in a world where I have limited time, limited funds, and a lot of games, there is something to be said for a more compact experience.

It's hard to judge whether or not the decision was a good one before seeing how the rest of the still undetermined number of parts are done. But again, it's really not about the length. The game's length is perfectly acceptable for an action RPG. That being said, I felt that the original game which took me about 25 hours with doing pretty much all the sidequests besides Chocobo racing (the 3x speed mode is a godsend) provided a more complete and ultimately fulfilling experience than the Remake, which to be clear I liked very much, provided.

DonFerrari said:

I'm one superboss win away from platinum (thinking how to deal with the 4th guardian before the superboss) 

I'm guessing you're doing the 3" person team vs top secrets"?

I've put in just about the same amount of hours as you have (just need to finish the game on hard to platinum it) and as a game itself has more than enough values to justify the full price and im happy with that.

JWeinCom said:
Despite what my ex says, length doesn't matter... or at least it's not the only thing that matters.

The complaint about splitting it into parts wasn't so much about the game being short, it was about a) having a lot of filler and b)having to buy three or more games to experience the complete narrative.

To avoid accusations of bias, I'll use Xenoblade Chronicles as an example instead. There are a ton of sidequests in this game that you have to do if you want to unlock certain things... and a lot of them suck. Halving the number of sidequests would have meant less game, but it would actually make me enjoy it more.

FF7 Remake is just not a complete narrative. By the end of the story the conflict is completely unresolved, and aside from Cloud becoming maybe slightly less stiff, there's not a ton of character growth. Whereas a game like Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 is despite being being part of a larger story. It seems like to get the full narrative experience we're looking at at least 3 games for 180 bucks (if we buy them full price), and potentially upwards of 100 hours. Which... if you really love the game, I guess is a good thing. But in a world where I have limited time, limited funds, and a lot of games, there is something to be said for a more compact experience.

It's hard to judge whether or not the decision was a good one before seeing how the rest of the still undetermined number of parts are done. But again, it's really not about the length. The game's length is perfectly acceptable for an action RPG. That being said, I felt that the original game which took me about 25 hours with doing pretty much all the sidequests besides Chocobo racing (the 3x speed mode is a godsend) provided a more complete and ultimately fulfilling experience than the Remake, which to be clear I liked very much, provided.

That is what she said...

Yes I would do with no sidequests if possible, didn`t like them (at most accepted the intel ones) but platinum required it.

On char development I will agree that Cloud is pretty stoic (I think they will reserve the development for the second title since we only got hints of his past, won`t say more for spoiler reasons). I felt the game was complete considering there will be continuation but the main plot for it was resolved, you had to stand against shinra and did, only to discover there are higher dangers for you to go on the next game.

I also didn`t felt the game had a lot of padding. Sure I would like I could walk faster in some parts and didn`t need to do some fetch and point a to b and back, but all the content for me felt meaningfull and tied down giving a full narrative.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

V-r0cK said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm one superboss win away from platinum (thinking how to deal with the 4th guardian before the superboss) 

I'm guessing you're doing the 3" person team vs top secrets"?

I've put in just about the same amount of hours as you have (just need to finish the game on hard to platinum it) and as a game itself has more than enough values to justify the full price and im happy with that.

Yes you are right. I didn`t the Aerith challenges on chapter 9 so when I reached 17 on hard this battle wasn`t available so I`m doing it after finishing on Hard. Any tips for 4 round? And you done the better way because the last chapter becomes much easier with the item you get from the top secret battle.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
JWeinCom said:

That is what she said...

Yes I would do with no sidequests if possible, didn`t like them (at most accepted the intel ones) but platinum required it.

On char development I will agree that Cloud is pretty stoic (I think they will reserve the development for the second title since we only got hints of his past, won`t say more for spoiler reasons). I felt the game was complete considering there will be continuation but the main plot for it was resolved, you had to stand against shinra and did, only to discover there are higher dangers for you to go on the next game.

I also didn`t felt the game had a lot of padding. Sure I would like I could walk faster in some parts and didn`t need to do some fetch and point a to b and back, but all the content for me felt meaningfull and tied down giving a full narrative.

There's nothing wrong with Cloud being stoic... but a character arc implies that a character grows as a result of what they have learned through a conflict.  It would be a stretch to say that happened in FF7 Remake.

As for padding, it depends on what you'd call "a lot".  For instance I'd say that the part where you *minor spoilers maybe* sabotage a boss was pretty unnecessary.  As was the whole train graveyard sequence (I know this was in the original game but it was much shorter).  The sequence where you control Barrett also added little to the game.  It's not absurdly excessive, but it's definitely there.  

Again, the main point is that a single 40 hour game could be as enjoyable as several 40 hour games.  We'll see when all is said and done if that's the case here.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Its better a RPG that is 40 hours and is like ff7 than a RPG that is a grind fest and is full of repetive shit but its like 80 hours like persona 5

As a fan of Persona and Final Fantasy, i disagree. Both type of games are great. Persona 5 is one of the best games of all-time and Royal sealed the deal for the title. FF7R is a great, innovative game, but not top-gen rpg or something.

It's not the length. It's what they filled it with. Padding. A bunch of padding of crappy sidequests and a new stupid KH like plot.

I don't hate the idea of breaking the game up but not overly fond of it either. Then Xenoblade DE spoils me. A remake with the entire game with QOL fixes and an additional 20-hour post-game story. Where FF7R is sidequests the game and they are so damn dumb. Nomura has a way of just making everything worse to me.

Last edited by Leynos - on 09 June 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I enjoyed every bit of it so that's enough value for me. I will probably play it again on PS5 or PC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The game was a full 41 hours for my playthrough on normal, doing all the side quests. People defended REmake 3 having 6 hours of gameplay during a single run, so that alone should say something. But alas, they are not very comparable are they?

God of War is a game that takes little more than that to plat, and while not a jrpg, is a much more comparable title to establish value. They both ended with a cliffhanger to lead into the next game, they both can be beaten in under 30 hours if your rush through and ignore side content, they both played differently than the games they were based on (or in GoW case, the IP it came from), and both were a joy to play (for me). I would say that FFVIIR is very much worth the 60 bucks.

And there is more to it. It is an entirely new game, that is based on events that already took place, that is going its own direction. Without spoilers FFVIIR is more of a spin off/sequel to the original game, and where we go from here is anyone's guess. It does not have a part 2 of the remake subtitle, because there will be no part 2. The FFVIIR was simply setting the stage for what is to come, rather than just retelling the same story. If it ends up being a trilogy, their stories will tie together more like three different games rather than three parts to a story we already know. If you do not believe me, actually play the game, watch the ending, and take in everything that happened. It is hinted at constantly, and made clear as rain what SE is intending to do.

So all in all, new mainline Final Fantasy with average playtime. New plot based as a spin off/follow up to the original...but not the same. Unique gameplay mechanics that is an evolution/combination of past FF games that feels like a natural progression.

Look I have my nitpicks with the game, and it is certainly not GotY material. But it is a complete experience that I enjoyed, and worth the full 60 bucks. People are focusing on the word "remake" too much, and tricking themselves into thinking that this game is somehow different than other franchises that have direct sequels and a roadmap already planned for them.

Last edited by Shiken - on 09 June 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261