By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Sonys Play Station is the standard for home consoles since 1994 ?

hinch said:
JWeinCom said:

I dunno.  Maybe you should go find some people who advocate that position, and ask them.

Nah.  I just don't really think the concept of generations really applies anymore, at least in regards to Nintendo, since they sort of abandoned that model arguably over a decade ago.  It makes sense when companies are maintaining hardware parity, or at least launching at around the same time.  When companies aren't doing that, and are introducing significant hardware revisions mid-"gen", it doesn't really work anymore.  Bottom line is that they're both the primary products being offered by their respective companies, and each company would much rather you spend money on their product (and games for it) than the other.  

It is Nintendo's 9th generation console though. Like Wii U was in line with 8th gen. They only cut its life short due to its sales (or lack thereof).

OT: They made/make consoles to attract third parties, which made PS such a hit. FFVII blew up and sold a lot of consoles and went from there. Strong first party support throughout the generations as well.

Meh.  I've said what I said about my thoughts on generations. It's not an important enough topic to me that I'm going to spend any more time talking about it, just because someone decided to strawman a position for me.

Around the Network
padib said:
JWeinCom said:

Meh.  I've said what I said about my thoughts on generations. It's not an important enough topic to me that I'm going to spend any more time talking about it, just because someone decided to strawman a position for me.

In the end, I think most of us want the Switch represented in the stats for home consoles as it should be, since it is home to many console game experiences be it in the games or in the way the machine plugs into the TV.

Well it's not like we could compare it to the other handhelds out there.

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've heard a similar sort of reasoning before.  This was a lot of people told me in the mid to late 2000s about the housing market in the US.  I kept saying, "You have to consider both the best case and worst case scenario when getting a home loan."  More people than I can count told me, "those old housing principles don't really apply anymore.  We're in a new housing market now.  You're guaranteed to significantly beat inflation, so getting the biggest possible loan that you can."  Then they'd try to convince me that I needed to buy a new house ASAP.  The most surprising thing to me is how quickly people dismiss established principles if things look different for a short time.  If something is off, then don't be dismissive.  Be suspicious.

Of course, in this case it's no big loss to be wrong.  Who cares, right?  But I still find it interesting how easy it is for people to dismiss established principles, whether the stakes are low or the stakes are high.

I don't think that's an apt analogy.

With the concept of generations we're not talking about a principle.  We're simply talking about categorization.  Whether we call the Switch an 8th generation console, a 9th generation console, or abandon the concept altogether, it doesn't change anything about how gaming actually works.  Whatever generation we consider the Switch should have no bearing on how we predict the gaming market will play out.

What is objective is that the Switch launched several years after the PS4 and XBox One and its processing capabilities are not on par with them.  Those underlying facts really don't change based on what generation you consider the Switch to be.  On the other hand, people were actually under a grave misunderstanding of the facts when it came to the housing markets.  

Kind of hard to have same processing power as consoles when your console is effectively a tablet.  It would be like comparing laptop to desktop.  

sethnintendo said:
JWeinCom said:

With the concept of generations we're not talking about a principle.  We're simply talking about categorization.  Whether we call the Switch an 8th generation console, a 9th generation console, or abandon the concept altogether, it doesn't change anything about how gaming actually works.  Whatever generation we consider the Switch should have no bearing on how we predict the gaming market will play out.

What is objective is that the Switch launched several years after the PS4 and XBox One and its processing capabilities are not on par with them.  Those underlying facts really don't change based on what generation you consider the Switch to be.  On the other hand, people were actually under a grave misunderstanding of the facts when it came to the housing markets.  

Kind of hard to have same processing power as consoles when your console is effectively a tablet.  It would be like comparing laptop to desktop.  

Ummmm... sure?  That's really neither here nor there.

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've heard a similar sort of reasoning before.  This was a lot of people told me in the mid to late 2000s about the housing market in the US.  I kept saying, "You have to consider both the best case and worst case scenario when getting a home loan."  More people than I can count told me, "those old housing principles don't really apply anymore.  We're in a new housing market now.  You're guaranteed to significantly beat inflation, so getting the biggest possible loan that you can."  Then they'd try to convince me that I needed to buy a new house ASAP.  The most surprising thing to me is how quickly people dismiss established principles if things look different for a short time.  If something is off, then don't be dismissive.  Be suspicious.

Of course, in this case it's no big loss to be wrong.  Who cares, right?  But I still find it interesting how easy it is for people to dismiss established principles, whether the stakes are low or the stakes are high.

If I'm hearing you right, it sounds like you never really believed in console generations to begin with.  Perhaps that is the disagreement?

I tend to think generations are more than a categorization.  They actually help describe sales behavior.  The Genesis launched in the US around the height of the NES's popularity.  It didn't affect NES sales at all.  But the Genesis had a huge impact on SNES sales.  The concept of generations is what explains this phenomenon.  

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
JWeinCom said:

Since when has processing power been a factor in determining what console fits what generation. We've had Wii, Wii U and now Switch. If we go by that metric we shouldn't even compare Wii with PS3 or Xbox in sales. We only compare PS4/Xbox One X with Switch because Wii U was discontinued and Switch is current available console from Nintendo. Switch is Nintendo home console and portable in one.

Its just another form factor but is designed to be used at home when docked as well as on the go.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

If I'm hearing you right, it sounds like you never really believed in console generations to begin with.  Perhaps that is the disagreement?

I tend to think generations are more than a categorization.  They actually help describe sales behavior.  The Genesis launched in the US around the height of the NES's popularity.  It didn't affect NES sales at all.  But the Genesis had a huge impact on SNES sales.  The concept of generations is what explains this phenomenon.  

It depends what you mean by believed in.

I think it is (or at least was) a useful tool for categorizing things.  The way that at least Nintendo is doing business right now, I don't think it's useful anymore, at least in regards to their products.

What is the purpose of debating whether the Switch is a 9th or 8th generation system?  How does this improve our understanding of the market?  Does it help us to make predictions?

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think it is (or at least was) a useful tool for categorizing things.  The way that at least Nintendo is doing business right now, I don't think it's useful anymore, at least in regards to their products.

What is the purpose of debating whether the Switch is a 9th or 8th generation system?  How does this improve our understanding of the market?  Does it help us to make predictions?

At most it would change a total sale in a generation. But agree with you that doesn't change how anything would happen from now to the future, as it also doesn't change anything if we agree it to be more table or more portable within its hybrid form.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hinch said:
sethnintendo said:

Since when has processing power been a factor in determining what console fits what generation. We've had Wii, Wii U and now Switch. If we go by that metric we shouldn't even compare Wii with PS3 or Xbox in sales. We only compare PS4/Xbox One X with Switch because Wii U was discontinued and Switch is current available console from Nintendo. Switch is Nintendo home console and portable in one.

Its just another form factor but is designed to be used at home when docked as well as on the go.

I'm not trying to debate processing power equals generation.  I was merely replying to his post that it doesn't keep up with other consoles due to it being a tablet.

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch a first of its kind from Nintendo, a hybrid. It is a home console as well a portable and should be treated as such, I don't know.

With how well the Switch is doing and how badly the Wii U has done. I don't see Nintendo going back to traditional home console design. Its the only device we can actually compare when talking sales verses other consoles. It kinda makes sense to line it up with other consoles in their respective release/roadmap, no?

Edit: anyway we can agree to disagree P: and we're going way off topic lol

Last edited by hinch - on 10 June 2020