By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Sonys Play Station is the standard for home consoles since 1994 ?

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

You are on this forum long enough and that was certainly the vibe of the post. Nintendo is the creator and Sony is the ripper. But when anyone point out that Nintendo was using someone else idea that is ignored.

Except if you read the actual post you'd see that was never said so this vibe that you're on about is more down to you as the fact that SEGA, MS and NEC were credited for things and the reply he even did itself moved things away from SEGA's side of things tells me this Nintendo vs Sony vibe was more in your own head and mind set to begin with than any post having any such vibe.

The one that pointed that several of the "inventors" was wrong said himself he wasn't going to point because since it was against Sony he was fine, the one that posted didn't acknowledge he was wrong.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

The one that pointed that several of the "inventors" was wrong said himself he wasn't going to point because since it was against Sony he was fine, the one that posted didn't acknowledge he was wrong.

If you read the post it's about what became standard not who invented what and the overall point was unaffected because it highlighted other companies came up with the implementation of standard features, as someone pointed out PS brand stuck to tried and tested before adding what would become standard, his reply didn't change this it only changed two of the credits to other companies not to the PS brand.

Even if you took time to review his post like the YT video he linked non of that was mentioned in the post only thing that can be argued is the analogue like controller and that implementation is not the same as the N64 one which was an evolution of the NES Max. So again this Nintendo vs Sony thing was already in your mind set to begin with as the context of the post wasn't that if you have a problem with what he said about Sony take it up with him.

Sorry , but Nintendo only failed with the Wii U and the Gamecube and all the other consoles were successful so Nintendo is dominating more than the PS4 , The Switch will outsell the PS4 guys

Wyrdness said:
d21lewis said:

-Johnny Turbo (TurboGrafx-16 mascot for a short while, worth a Google if you want a laugh) said that the Turbo CD was out two years before the Sega CD.

-Neo Geo had memory cards before Sega

-There were wireless controllers (that sucked) way before the Wavebird. I remember many for the NES.

-Not sure about retro video game service but there were plenty of old games on the XBL service prior to the Virtual Console. I guess you could say Nintendo did it more thoroughly.

-There's a lot of "unnofficial" attempts at online gaming. Some were just digital downloads. Some actually allowed head to head play like Xband and Sharkwire. According to a quick Google search, the Apple Pippin was the first out of the box with built in online.

-Guru Larry (Larry Bundy Jr.) had a video that blew my mind about things I thought Nintendo did first, including the NES controller.

https://youtu.be/56AoH-ZPk9s

(I keep having to flip back to the last page to see the post)

We're talking about the executions that consoles used which are now the standard not what came first so outside of the TurboGrafx and NeoGeo example what's said is correct because the implementations used are the executions by the said companies for example online services today are all based on on Live's execution and platforms are online gaming capable out the box due to DC's execution which MS followed suit the Pippin I hear was a mini PC and not a online gaming console it was for browsing and development.

XBL didn't have retro games before VC as XBL store was only introduced in 2009 before that it was purely an online gaming platform, VC launched in 2006 with the Wii the were no retro games on Live at this point in fact Sony even had retro titles before Live from what I recall as they were quick to implement their own service.

I specifically avoided the ones that said things like "Modern analog stick" or "modern motion controls" etc. I'll have to go back and look at the post to even see what I was answering but even if the Pippin wasn't considered an console, there was at least one other that I'm forgetting. I'll edit later.

I never owned an original Xbox but, from what I understand, it had downloadable classic games like Ms. Pac-Man. I owned an Xbox 360 and it had downloadable classic games like Contra in at least 2006 because I bought it. I'm pretty sure Sega channel had downloadable games even earlier but I don't feel like checking. At the very least, there were Digital Download games before 2006. As far back as the 80s but I assume the original post is specifically talking about "legacy games".

d21lewis said:

I specifically avoided the ones that said things like "Modern analog stick" or "modern motion controls" etc. I'll have to go back and look at the post to even see what I was answering but even if the Pippin wasn't considered an console, there was at least one other that I'm forgetting. I'll edit later.

I never owned an original Xbox but, from what I understand, it had downloadable classic games like Ms. Pac-Man. I owned an Xbox 360 and it had downloadable classic games like Contra in at least 2006 because I bought it. I'm pretty sure Sega channel had downloadable games even earlier but I don't feel like checking. At the very least, there were Digital Download games before 2006. As far back as the 80s but I assume the original post is specifically talking about "legacy games".

I had an original Xbox it was online and DLC back then I'm pretty certain of this as original Xbox's dashboard only had options for music, memory, settings and live the was no store on original Xbox, image below, Xbox was often used for homebrew to download emulated games so you might be thinking of that. Even early 360 wasn't a retro dedicated service like VC which focused solely on older platforms I think the Contra game was more of a rerelease on a newer platform as opposed to getting older games to be emulated on new platforms like hence why VC and Wiishop were separate with the former dedicate to multiple platforms.

Having looked it up Sega Channel was to play game online in fact it's more comparable to cloud services today and it wasn't retro games service either they were at the time current games it was a service for Megadrive games started in 88 it lasted until 3 years after the Saturn but owners of the latter had no access to it. How it worked was consumers paid a fee and were then sent an adapter which connects to the TV line to download the data to play the game, when you turned the console off the data was erased making it more of a streaming feature than digital distribution but at least we can credit SEGA with cloud feature now.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
d21lewis said:

I had an original Xbox it was online and DLC back then I'm pretty certain of this as original Xbox's dashboard only had options for music, memory, settings and live the was no store on original Xbox, image below, Xbox was often used for homebrew to download emulated games so you might be thinking of that. Even early 360 wasn't a retro dedicated service like VC which focused solely on older platforms I think the Contra game was more of a rerelease on a newer platform as opposed to getting older games to be emulated on new platforms like hence why VC and Wiishop were separate with the former dedicate to multiple platforms.

Having looked it up Sega Channel was to play game online in fact it's more comparable to cloud services today and it wasn't retro games service either they were at the time current games it was a service for Megadrive games started in 88 it lasted until 3 years after the Saturn but owners of the latter had no access to it. How it worked was consumers paid a fee and were then sent an adapter which connects to the TV line to download the data to play the game, when you turned the console off the data was erased making it more of a streaming feature than digital distribution but at least we can credit SEGA with cloud feature now.

Gonna take your word for everything. Not a hill I feel like dying on today. But, like somebody else said, everyone borrows from everyone. 

d21lewis said:

Gonna take your word for everything. Not a hill I feel like dying on today. But, like somebody else said, everyone borrows from everyone. 

Never said no one doesn't I just highlighted that many standards were implemented by other companies PS just adds the new execution to their tried and tested approach which makes the thread title exaggerated, I even give Sony credit for dual analogues and clickable analogue buttons as everyone copied that.

YanisFromFrance said:
Sorry , but Nintendo only failed with the Wii U and the Gamecube and all the other consoles were successful so Nintendo is dominating more than the PS4 , The Switch will outsell the PS4 guys

Switch is a portable console mainly. 3DS having no successor confirmed it in 2019.

From failures Nintendo has 3 in their stock

N64 (1996-2001)

GameCube(2001-2006)

WiiU(2012-2017)

Thats 15 years, if i count correct.

Sony has none in real numbers, since 88 million consoles only successful Wii managed to sell from all released Nintendo home consoles until this point.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
YanisFromFrance said:

Switch is a portable console mainly. 3DS having no successor confirmed it in 2019.

N64 (1996-2001)

GameCube(2001-2006)

WiiU(2012-2017)

Sony has none in real numbers, since 88 million consoles only successful Wii managed to sell from all released Nintendo home consoles until this point.

No love for virtua boy?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JapaneseGamesLover said:
YanisFromFrance said:

N64 (1996-2001)

GameCube(2001-2006)

WiiU(2012-2017)

So... the Switch is portable because the 3DS had no successor... then what is the Wii U's successor?