By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

iron_megalith said:
DonFerrari said:

And what would define them as not being genuine?

To answer your question, most reviews ended up praising all the time and had less about being critical to different aspects of the game. I simply found SkillUp explaining their opinion much better than most "reviewers" did given the insane amount of restrictions Sony has put up.

the restrictions to skillup were the same for everyone else.

the fact you preffer theirs critique doesn`t mean it is the only one genuine, just that it matches your taste.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Bonzinga said:
DonFerrari said:

And what you think of the 70 scores gave to this game?

Well I am not against low scores given, not every game is made for everyone. As long as they are not troll reviews like scoring a game a 2/10 than it might be going too far. 7/10 or even 6/10 are not bad scores, they are considered average scores so there are a few reviews that think the game is average. It comes down to your personal take, review scores are just guide lines, without the flexibility and freedom for reviewers, everyone will be just scoring games 10/10s.

BraLoD said:

GoW Ascension is the only console game that didn't score in the GOTY territory, and it was a prequel.

GoW1 (94), GoW2 (93), GoW3 (92), GoW4 (94)

Prequel or not, many were saying the God of War franchise was getting stale and Ascensions was exactly that. Why do you think Sony revamped the franchise? because the game design was just not carrying over anymore. Games can score high and still not be in contention for GOTY. 2018, Forza Horizon 4 scored a 92 and wasn't in the overall GOTY category and placed in a sub Racing genre which it did win, however wasn't even looked at for GOTY. 

Either way the point is, if Sony companies can turn there fortunes around, same can be said for any company. Capcom turned there fortunes around with Monster Hunter, RE2 Remake and DMC5 releases and so did Santa Monica with GoW4 coming from Ascensions. Things can happen, weather it does for 343, we can only wait and see.

See the summaries, they don`t match the score.

A 6 or 7 for a 10 game is a troll review. No one would take seriously a 2 review for almost any game.

Yearly like games don`t really go for GOTY, you are trying to make GOTY as if it were meta only. It goes for unique experiences.

And using if as potential no game could be sure to win or lose a GOTY until the end of the year. There could be a Candy Crush game release this year in IOS that could score 100 in metacritic and be GOTY using "any company could improve and put a GOTY contender"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

This Game is so beautiful, Gameplay/Story is fantastic !!!
With Ghost of Tsushima my Game of the Year 2020 then, i think. Cant wait of next week!!! = )

DonFerrari said:
iron_megalith said:

To answer your question, most reviews ended up praising all the time and had less about being critical to different aspects of the game. I simply found SkillUp explaining their opinion much better than most "reviewers" did given the insane amount of restrictions Sony has put up.

the restrictions to skillup were the same for everyone else.

the fact you preffer theirs critique doesn`t mean it is the only one genuine, just that it matches your taste.

Never said SkillUp had a different set of restrictions. But sure let's just it at that.

DonFerrari said:

A 6 or 7 for a 10 game is a troll review. No one would take seriously a 2 review for almost any game.

Yearly like games don`t really go for GOTY, you are trying to make GOTY as if it were meta only. It goes for unique experiences.

And using if as potential no game could be sure to win or lose a GOTY until the end of the year. There could be a Candy Crush game release this year in IOS that could score 100 in metacritic and be GOTY using "any company could improve and put a GOTY contender"

I haven't read the 7/10 reviews however I will say that 6 or a 7 are not troll reviews. Some people just don't like the game or think its a masterpiece, no one has to like the same things as everyone else. with your logic, every masterpiece should have a 100 metascore, is that what you want to see? After all, those 7/10 scores come from people who have actually played the game, how would you know what the games score is entitled when you haven't actually played it? You might hate it.

Your example of that Candy Crush IOS game that might score 100 meta will most likely be sub categorized into best mobile game and win that category. Iv seen a lot of GOTY awards and iv seen a lot of games get sidelined in favour of what's more fan pleasing. Its just me though, some people treat GOTYs like life and death while others like me don't care for them. My taste in gaming is very different to the majority.

I also highly doubt IGN Japan would be a troll reviewer, considering the brand. Also Polygons review doesn't sound good either and that's another major outlet.

Last edited by Bonzinga - on 13 June 2020

Around the Network
Hiku said:
iron_megalith said:

Most of the reviews I saw are not very critical as SkillUp. That was my basis for this being another over hyped game by critics. But we can't really prove if reviewers were paid to give these 10/10s.

Regardless, it's evident that Druckmann messed with the things that worked in the previous game's story. Let me be clear that I've seen the leaks so I know as much as what could happen in the game's story. I won't discuss that in detail here. Based on what SkillUp said, that this turned into a grimdark revenge story devoid of any light, pretty much confirms the biggest fear I had in the leak.

TLOU worked because of the great interaction between characters that acted in a really grounded manner. It also had a great balance between tragedy and hope. If this is gone, then the game is pretty much lost.

I'll just say there are too many positive reviews for this to be a conspiracy.
I felt the same way about God of War. I mostly found it boring, but that doesn't make me doubt that critics loved it. I'm sure they did.
Name recognition may influence the scores a bit, but not to the degree that it would make up the difference of how I felt about the game. Most critics definitely liked God of War significantly more than I did. And that will probably be the case with TLOU2.

I've heard from another reviewer who loved TLOU2 that the spoilers he read made him think it would go in one direction, but it went in another. That he thought he knew a lot, but only knew a little. That doesn't mean it won't maintain being a grimdark revenge story throughout the whole game. But rather that he still liked it for that.

I can enjoy dark stories like that as well. Maybe I will here, or maybe I won't. But the keyword SkillUp used that made me concerned was that he called it a 'petty' revenge story. And that it could have been anyone's revenge story. Along with characters behaving in unbelievable ways, those are things that tend to break my immersion. But I know a lot of people either don't think about those things, or are not bothered by them. I'd say they may even be in the majority.

I'll wait for things to settle down at this point. There are scenarios where when the hype has died down, we get to hear more critical reviews. Also, I feel that the restriction on the reviews is a tad too much and just makes it harder for reviewers to express their opinion on the matter.

Bonzinga said:
DonFerrari said:

I haven't read the 7/10 reviews however I will say that 6 or a 7 are not troll reviews. Some people just don't like the game or think its a masterpiece, no one has to like the same things as everyone else. with your logic, every masterpiece should have a 100 metascore, is that what you want to see? After all, those 7/10 scores come from people who have actually played the game, how would you know what the games score is entitled when you haven't actually played it? You might hate it.

Your example of that Candy Crush IOS game that might score 100 meta will most likely be sub categorized into best mobile game and win that category. Iv seen a lot of GOTY awards and iv seen a lot of games get sidelined in favour of what's more fan pleasing. Its just me though, some people treat GOTYs like life and death while others like me don't care for them. My taste in gaming is very different to the majority.

I also highly doubt IGN Japan would be a troll reviewer, considering the brand. Also Polygons review doesn't sound good either and that's another major outlet.

So you didn`t read the reviews but are sure they aren`t trolls?

And again not liking a game is one thing totally different than doing a professional work. Also from 25 points bellow average the alternative of not liking but seeing the game is great there is a lot of leeway until you hit 100.

So you think major outlets don`t put troll reviews? Ok then.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

A 7 definitely is not a troll review, even as yes, it can be.

A 6 is quite in the muddy territory for such a game, not that it can't happen, but there is hardly any actual reason to drop a work of excellence a 6 just because it didn't meet a personal taste.

In my way of viewing things a critic review for a paid outlet is a professional work, and as such it must reflect objective standards instead of reflect a personal opinion only, even as it will always be bound to it, it should be technical first and foremost, so reserving as much as 40% of the score to your personal bias while you represent an organization... is quite too much, imo.

When a game average on 96 it is very likely that the review is trolling while trying to stay away of being to obvious. And when you see the summary and the person say the game is better than the original in all terms but he didn`t like the story then taking away 25 points from the average that game is getting (or 30 from the perfect) is quite excessive.

Hiku said:
iron_megalith said:

Never said SkillUp had a different set of restrictions. But sure let's just it at that.

So if every reviewer has the same capability of being as critical as SkillUp, why did you mention the 'insane' restrictions?
Which SkillUp did not refer to as insane, but rare. He says they're not unique to TLOU2, and that he has reviewed a handful of games like that before.

You also said "most reviews ended up praising all the time". Have you read through 43 other reviews?

And they are being allowed to release the review score a full week before the game releases and it is a very heavy story game so it certainly is expected to be a lot of restrictions for whoever wants to release early.

DonFerrari said:
Bonzinga said:

So you didn`t read the reviews but are sure they aren`t trolls?

And again not liking a game is one thing totally different than doing a professional work. Also from 25 points bellow average the alternative of not liking but seeing the game is great there is a lot of leeway until you hit 100.

So you think major outlets don`t put troll reviews? Ok then

I am not saying there are no troll reviewers, what I am saying is a 7 is not a troll score. A 7 is actually considered an average/good score and there is nothing wrong with that number. What's the point in having multiple different outlets doing reviews just so they can all give the same score.. than there is no real point. Just pick your favourite outlet and go by there score, you don't need every reviewer to agree with your own views.

I admit I didn't read the 7/10 reviews, I don't need to, however you are the one trying to criticize the review scores, maybe you need to read them yourself before jumping on the negative band wagon. I am still curious as to know why you think the game is better than the 7s when you haven't actually played it. Unless you are a reviewer yourself, you don't really have an opinion on someone else's work since its not your field.

A troll review would be the 4/10 given to Uncharted 4 or the 2/10 given to Halo 4 and Forza Horizon 2. They are questionable review scores, not a 7/10. Heck if they were trolling, they would give the game a lot worse than a 7.

Last edited by Bonzinga - on 13 June 2020

To Skillup his defence i must say ,he is one of the very rare reviewers that DOES have personal takes on things but does not involve any agenda in his reviews.
Honesty without agenda,sometimes i like it or not but i mostly always respect it.

BraLoD said:
eva01beserk said:

God of War beats everything else in my opinion. But as a dev team, as far as I know, santa monica is only known for GOW. As much as I love god of war I would not consider a team that makes the same game as one of the greats.

CDPR only released TW3 as a top tier game up until now and you considered them xP (yeah Cyberpunk is close tho)

I guess you have a point. Ill take back my recommendation of CDPR then. Until a couple more months :p 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.