Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts May 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

The not uncommon "Switch will sell on par with 3DS" claim, which I still saw crop up as recently as late last year, is ageing like milk in a greenhouse.

Should outsell it lifetime before the FY is out.

By the end of FY? So by March 31, 2021. If demand stays high enough and Nintendo can ship enough consoles, it wouldn't be impossible for the Switch to surpass it by the end of the year. Slim chance, but not impossible now with how well the first half of 2020 has been. 

It's possible, but I'm still skeptical of that given it's June and Nintendo has yet to reveal any big games for beyond July.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

By the end of FY? So by March 31, 2021. If demand stays high enough and Nintendo can ship enough consoles, it wouldn't be impossible for the Switch to surpass it by the end of the year. Slim chance, but not impossible now with how well the first half of 2020 has been. 

It's possible, but I'm still skeptical of that given it's June and Nintendo has yet to reveal any big games for beyond July.

I am hoping we get something announced this month or next. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Me too, it's horrible having no clear schedule beyond a month into the future. I worry about it being a wasteland from August onwards due to pandemic delays.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Me too, it's horrible having no clear schedule beyond a month into the future. I worry about it being a wasteland from August onwards due to pandemic delays.

We know more about the launches for the PS5 and Xbox Series X than we do the Switch for this holiday. And that is with Sony and Microsoft not having their big events yet. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

The not uncommon "Switch will sell on par with 3DS" claim, which I still saw crop up as recently as late last year, is ageing like milk in a greenhouse.

Should outsell it lifetime before the FY is out.

The real question I have is, "Will Switch outsell it before 3DS is taken off the market?"  That would be kind of surreal to me.  Kind of like the 3DS getting lapped.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

The real question I have is, "Will Switch outsell it before 3DS is taken off the market?"  That would be kind of surreal to me.  Kind of like the 3DS getting lapped.

I don't see Nintendo manufacturing the 3DS much longer. Sales for the handheld are tiny nowadays. 

trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't see Nintendo manufacturing the 3DS much longer. Sales for the handheld are tiny nowadays. 

Heh, if I were them I already would have stopped.  I never can tell how long they are going to drag these things out.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Clubhouse Games has released now and it might be coincidence but they did their Nindies thing a day before the PS5 GDC event and Paper Mario was announced the day after the Unreal Demo so we might get something after the Sony showcase.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

Heh, if I were them I already would have stopped.  I never can tell how long they are going to drag these things out.

I am amazed they didn't stop at the end of 2019.

Read and share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison – DS Lead Grows May 2020 

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 210,990 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,644,145 - DS

Total Lead: 8,321,015 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 57,526,267

DS Total Sales: 65,847,282

May 2020 is the 39th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the DS by 210,990 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the DS has outsold the Switch by 6.64 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.32 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 39th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is May 2020, while for the DS it is January 2008. The Switch has sold 57.53 million units, while the DS sold 65.85 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 96.49 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.