By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Official PS5 Reveal Leaks Topic

It's an Xbox One VCR.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
It's an Xbox One VCR.

lol that's what I was thinking that it looks like the xbox one. Which I liked how it looked actually. Liked how the PS4 looked also. I've liked how all consoles have looked honestly. Not sure about the new xbox though I don't want to stand it up. If I can lay it down though all good.

Guys, anytime we see a leaked PS5 image and its not white or has white on it... Its automatically fake. The console will match the controller.

Xxain said:

Guys, anytime we see a leaked PS5 image and its not white or has white on it... Its automatically fake. The console will match the controller.

This. There tends to be consistent design cues from console boxes to controllers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

https://www.psu.com/news/rad-bink-middleware-sdk-hits-1-0-suggests-ps5-nda-is-now-over/

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
shikamaru317 said:

It looks good, but also pretty much impossible. The thing about today’s leaked design that makes it seem somewhat plausible is the top vent. With the specs of PS5, there is just no way Sony would be able to properly cool it with tiny fans and vents on the back of the console. PS5 and Xbox Series X TDP’s are estimated to be in the high 200’s-300 watt range, considerably higher than PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which were rated around 170 watt TDP.

Xbox One X tower design was specially designed with cooling in mind, it has a design that allows airflow throughout the whole system from a single 140mm fan, the large fan size allows it to move more cubic feet of air per minute while not needing to spin as quickly, reducing noise. With a good blade design, a 140mm fan can move about 110 cubic feet of air per minute at less than 30 decibels of noise production.

I’d say that cooling should be even more important for Sony than it is for MS, as PS5’s CPU and GPU have variable clock rates, presumably if it gets too hot the system will reduce clock rates. That pretty much means that PS5 is going to need a top mounted vent over the heatsink, which will allow a large fan to exhaust heat directly up and out of the system. Smaller fans with back mounted vents likely won’t cut the mustard, unless they want PS4 Pro jet engine fans all over again.

The above mock-up design could possibly work though if the black triangular area was a top vent. System might need to be thicker than the mock-up though.

I agree with what you are saying. The concept above is too small to cool the console enough. If the final design was similar it would have to be thicker to be able to fit bigger fans. I wasn't a fan of the devkit, but like the idea of having a V somewhere in it. Just not as big as the devkit. 

Doesn't need to be bigger fans.

Cooling is generally a function of thermal conductivity of the cooler in conjunction with airflow.

So if all things other than fans are kept equal...
You can achieve the same amount of cooling with multiple fans instead of one large one.
Or you can achieve the same amount of cooling with a smaller, higher RPM fan rather than a larger, slower one.

Obviously the trade off is going to be additional noise, additional points of failure and/or a tiny increase in power consumption.
But considering the noise profile of the Playstation 4 typically exceeded the Xbox One, Sony may not see fit to prioritize on that front as it didn't hinder the Playstation 4's success at all.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

İt's fake.

Here's some new rumours. Bloodborne remaster and Demon's Souls remake for the ps5

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Here's some new rumours. Bloodborne remaster and Demon's Souls remake for the ps5

Nice. Was hoping for a new game from FromSoftware, but I'll take a DS remake for PC tyvm!

Shadow1980 said:
Leynos said:
It's an Xbox One VCR.

Speaking of which, I remember this skin that was produced for the OG Xbox One:

That wood veneer paneling and brushed nickel face reminds me so much of an 80s-era VCR. In fact, I remember a lot of home electronics had a similar aesthetic, including my father's old stereo system:

Honestly, I wish modern consoles had an official old-school edition with wood veneer paneling.

Well looked more like an Atari for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."