By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Much Would Be Too Much?

What's the maximum you're willing to spend on a PS5/XBSX?

$400-$500 34 49.28%

$500-$600 20 28.99%

$600-$700 8 11.59%

$700-$800 4 5.80%

$800-$900 0 0%

$900-$1000 0 0%

$1000+ 3 4.35%

Total:69
SvennoJ said:

Considering my gaming laptop was CAD 1800, I have no problem paying CAD 1,000 for a ps5. Which is what I expect to pay for it here with 2 launch games. $500 is CAD 688 today, games are CAD 80, second controller CAD 75, total 923, add tax CAD 1,043 to get started...

Yeah I feel like this has changed my perspective a lot.

My 'gaming' laptop cost me £750 and my Gaming PC cost me £1600 so knwoing the PS5 will cost less much than my CPU/GPU combined, it's hard to think of it as a major deal.

Whereas 2/3 years ago I probably wouldn't want to spend any more than 500.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

500€ for PS5 for me is fine

I normally wait for 1-2 years. Price cut or a more efficient chip set. But if there’s a Halo Infinite Xbox, no price is too high :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I would pay a lot for a PC that plays exclusive Playstation games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
The poll needs to go lower. The most I've ever paid for a Playstation is $250 and I don't even know what games the PS5 will have yet.

Farsala said:
Depends on the games. But $400 is usually the limit. I got a lot more money nowadays, but I still want some good games.

Agree.  The first option should have capped at $399.  There really didn't need to be separate options for both $900-$1000 and $1000+ at the end of the poll.  If both consoles launch at $450-$499, I'll probably wait a year for the 2nd holiday sale prices.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
The poll needs to go lower. The most I've ever paid for a Playstation is $250 and I don't even know what games the PS5 will have yet.

Then you've got at least a 5 year wait I'm thinking, if not even longer.

As for me, $500 would be my limit. I'm not planning on getting the PS5 until 2022 or 2023 anyway because I finally got a PS4 in Summer 2019. No need to get to PS5 urgently when I have enough to play right now between PS4 and Switch.

I got a new PS3 for $250 in 2008, two years after launch.  There are opportunities that come up if you look for them, even if that opportunity is often a holiday deal or something.  

Poll is not asking for launch price.  It is asking "how much are you willing to pay?"  Those are two separate things.  A fairly small percentage of people buy a system before it's first price drop.  There needs to be lower options on the poll going down to at least $200.

Mandalore76 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Farsala said:
Depends on the games. But $400 is usually the limit. I got a lot more money nowadays, but I still want some good games.

Agree.  The first option should have capped at $399.  There really didn't need to be separate options for both $900-$1000 and $1000+ at the end of the poll.  If both consoles launch at $450-$499, I'll probably wait a year for the 2nd holiday sale prices.

This thread is clearly about the maximum price you'd be willing to buy at launch. If you're not willing to buy at launch then the thread poll is not for you. Obviously prices will go down in time.

I started it at $400 because there's no way the XSX or PS5 will be cheaper than the PS4. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
SvennoJ said:

Considering my gaming laptop was CAD 1800, I have no problem paying CAD 1,000 for a ps5. Which is what I expect to pay for it here with 2 launch games. $500 is CAD 688 today, games are CAD 80, second controller CAD 75, total 923, add tax CAD 1,043 to get started...

Yeah I feel like this has changed my perspective a lot.

My 'gaming' laptop cost me £750 and my Gaming PC cost me £1600 so knwoing the PS5 will cost less much than my CPU/GPU combined, it's hard to think of it as a major deal.

Whereas 2/3 years ago I probably wouldn't want to spend any more than 500.

Looking back at what I spend on Sony this gen also changes perspective.

Launch PS4, CAD 400
PS4 camera CAD 60
3 extra controllers CAD 60 x 3

Launch PSVR CAD 500
Launch PS4 Pro CAD 500
extra controller CAD 75
AIM controller CAD 120 (came with FarPoint)
Second PSVR CAD 250
new move controllers CAD 120

CAD 2205 on hardware, nearly CAD 2500 after tax, for 7 years of fun, a bit over 400 a year including ps+

Still less than gaming laptops that only last 4 years before falling behind. My 1060 laptop is nearly 2 years old and won't be able to keep up with ps5 / series x in another 2 years. Nor does it have VR. (It's mixed VR ready but fat chance at running HL Alyx in a satisfactory manner)

But thanks to the bad exchange rate, last gen I started with 400 + 4 x 60 (2 games plus 1 controller and camera) 723 after tax, will be 1043 next gen without a camera. Excluding the camera an extra CAD 388 to start next gen, 60% increase. (Although it depends on how stores will be rounding ps5 prices, CAD 688 at current exchange rates is likely 699 at launch, yet maybe 649 to make it a bit more enticing)

ArchangelMadzz said:
Mandalore76 said:

This thread is clearly about the maximum price you'd be willing to buy at launch. If you're not willing to buy at launch then the thread poll is not for you. Obviously prices will go down in time.

I started it at $400 because there's no way the XSX or PS5 will be cheaper than the PS4. 

If one of them launches at $399, then I would be willing to buy at launch.  And, it's not like there isn't speculation that Microsoft might try to undercut Sony's price this gen.  Sony used the exact same tactic against both the Sega Saturn (announcing PlayStation being $100 cheaper just minutes after Saturn's reveal) and against the Xbox One (announcing being $100 cheaper the day after Microsoft's XB One's price reveal).  Xbox lost a ton of marketshare this gen.  There are two ways to gain that back.  Timing, like they did with getting the 360 out a year earlier than the PS3.  Or price point.  Since both systems are releasing simultaneously again, the only thing they can go after is price point.  So yeah, it actually is potentially possible that the XSX launches at $399, in which case, yes, that is what I would be willing to pay at launch.

PUBLISHED: 10:20, Wed, May 13, 2020 | UPDATED: 10:21, Wed, May 13, 2020

During its E3 conference in 2013, Microsoft told fans that the Xbox One would launch at $499 in the US. Sony announced a $399 price tag for the PS4 a day later.
According to industry analyst Michael Pachter, Microsoft will adopt a similar strategy for the launch of the Xbox Series X. Furthermore, the Wedbush Securities analyst said that Microsoft will wait for Sony to reveal its price before making the next move.
"Microsoft is being pretty smart about waiting Sony out here," Pachter said. "From what I've seen, Sony is going to have to charge $500 for their PS5, and Microsoft has a big balance sheet.
"If they [Microsoft] want to cut the price by $100 – just price below [PS5] and subsidise the first 10 million [units] – they will.
"So, I think that they’re waiting to have Sony blink first and then they’ll reveal the price and the launch date. It's going to be holidays, so very likely sometime in November.
"Very likely $400. And fans are going to get a lot for their $400."

PS5 v Xbox Series X PRICE WAR: Microsoft to use Sony's PS4 strategy against them

PS - Don't take this as me endorsing anything Michael Pachter says.  I'm just using it to show that it is something that is in discussion, so not completely out of the question or irrelevant to the discussion.

Mandalore76 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

If one of them launches at $399, then I would be willing to buy at launch.  And, it's not like there isn't speculation that Microsoft might try to undercut Sony's price this gen.  Sony used the exact same tactic against both the Sega Saturn (announcing PlayStation being $100 cheaper just minutes after Saturn's reveal) and against the Xbox One (announcing being $100 cheaper the day after Microsoft's XB One's price reveal).  Xbox lost a ton of marketshare this gen.  There are two ways to gain that back.  Timing, like they did with getting the 360 out a year earlier than the PS3.  Or price point.  Since both systems are releasing simultaneously again, the only thing they can go after is price point.  So yeah, it actually is potentially possible that the XSX launches at $399, in which case, yes, that is what I would be willing to pay at launch.

PUBLISHED: 10:20, Wed, May 13, 2020 | UPDATED: 10:21, Wed, May 13, 2020

During its E3 conference in 2013, Microsoft told fans that the Xbox One would launch at $499 in the US. Sony announced a $399 price tag for the PS4 a day later.
According to industry analyst Michael Pachter, Microsoft will adopt a similar strategy for the launch of the Xbox Series X. Furthermore, the Wedbush Securities analyst said that Microsoft will wait for Sony to reveal its price before making the next move.
"Microsoft is being pretty smart about waiting Sony out here," Pachter said. "From what I've seen, Sony is going to have to charge $500 for their PS5, and Microsoft has a big balance sheet.
"If they [Microsoft] want to cut the price by $100 – just price below [PS5] and subsidise the first 10 million [units] – they will.
"So, I think that they’re waiting to have Sony blink first and then they’ll reveal the price and the launch date. It's going to be holidays, so very likely sometime in November.
"Very likely $400. And fans are going to get a lot for their $400."

PS5 v Xbox Series X PRICE WAR: Microsoft to use Sony's PS4 strategy against them

PS - Don't take this as me endorsing anything Michael Pachter says.  I'm just using it to show that it is something that is in discussion, so not completely out of the question or irrelevant to the discussion.

If you're willing to buy for $399 then the $400-$500 option is for you.

There's no chance either XSX or PS5 will be launched at under $399. Regardless of them trying to undercut each other.