By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apparently tech journalist Zenji Nishikawa has a revolutionary scoop; claims SEGA has a major announcement for their 60th anniversary. It is a Tech related announcement

sethnintendo said:
Be too expensive to put out a Dreamcast mini right now. They'd have to sell it for over 100. Considering Sony struggled with PS mini one could only assume most Sega could do would be 32X.

32X? The core idea of a retro mini is that it's something people look back on fondly and would actually want to revisit. 😯

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
sethnintendo said:
Be too expensive to put out a Dreamcast mini right now. They'd have to sell it for over 100. Considering Sony struggled with PS mini one could only assume most Sega could do would be 32X.

32X? The core idea of a retro mini is that it's something people look back on fondly and would actually want to revisit. 😯

Can the new raspberry pi with 8 gb ram emulate Dreamcast games?  Not sure if they put new processor in there also.  I'm just thinking about costs.  You can't release a mini more than 100 and expect to sell well.  Heck I got the Genesis mini and I believe that was 80 retail when it came out right.

sethnintendo said:

Sony struggled with PS1 mini because nobody wanted to buy it. PS1 games have mostly aged badly and as popular as Playstation is each generation they don't have anything close to the nostalgic clout that Nintendo has nor the sense of their old games being timeless classics like how a lot of Nintendo games are considered. So replicating anything close to the success of the NES and SNES classics was never gonna happen for them. I mean Sega also doesn't have either of those things for the most part outside of the original Sonic games but at the very least Dreamcast has aged a lot better than PS1 games. PS1 games, being at the crude start of the 3D era and most of them looking pretty bad even at the time compared to N64 games, I imagine are pretty hard to play now.

If Sega is gonna come out with hardware it should be a handheld that plays all their consoles. Preload it with like 15 games, sell it for $100 but then have an online store where you can download Master System, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games for like $1, $3, $5, $7 respectively. I don't know if that'd sell but it would be cool and I can't imagine a hardware idea for them better than that.

Xxain said:
Otter said:
The only thing that I can think is that Sega are getting into the handheld business/teaming up with a bigger player like Samsung etc to produce a Switch like tablet/gaming device.

This could be big.... but I dont see how SEGA has a chance in that battle.

I'm still betting on SEGA bringing arcade business home.

Why Samsung and not Nintendo?

Mod the Switch Lite to look like a Game Gear and start Sega Online for $9.99/year.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Ka-pi96 said:
kirby007 said:
I will bet 1000vg$ on the fact salnax is right

You mean about it being a Dreamcast Classic?

I'll take that bet!

yes

@TalonMan you sexy piece of man, wanna enforce this bet?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Saturn Mini
DC Mini
SEGA Arcade mini!

For real tho I do know some company was making brand new SEGA Nomads this year but that might have been delayed with the virus.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I’m thinking a console that plays legacy titles from each generation.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Sony struggled with the PS1 classic because they didn't put a lot of effort in it. 

The Sega announcement is probably a game launcher and store The Sega Store, Everyone seems to be doing that nowadays.

Slownenberg said:
sethnintendo said:

Sony struggled with PS1 mini because nobody wanted to buy it. PS1 games have mostly aged badly and as popular as Playstation is each generation they don't have anything close to the nostalgic clout that Nintendo has nor the sense of their old games being timeless classics like how a lot of Nintendo games are considered. So replicating anything close to the success of the NES and SNES classics was never gonna happen for them. I mean Sega also doesn't have either of those things for the most part outside of the original Sonic games but at the very least Dreamcast has aged a lot better than PS1 games. PS1 games, being at the crude start of the 3D era and most of them looking pretty bad even at the time compared to N64 games, I imagine are pretty hard to play now.

If Sega is gonna come out with hardware it should be a handheld that plays all their consoles. Preload it with like 15 games, sell it for $100 but then have an online store where you can download Master System, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast games for like $1, $3, $5, $7 respectively. I don't know if that'd sell but it would be cool and I can't imagine a hardware idea for them better than that.

Not really, it was more due to the bad choice of games on it. The PS1 Classics certainly sell good enough to keep coming all the time and a lot of remakes of that era being made and sold with success.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I remember years ago at a press conference they were going on about the potential of eye tracking and their research into it. I'd be surprised if they made a new console (unless it's another retro one), so maybe they're releasing an eye tracking peripheral for various systems? Long shot, but who knows.