By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Kingdom Hearts Disney+ series seems to be in the works

Kind of interesting. I like the potential of Disney franchises that don't interact having a little crossover... I'm hoping they'll have someone to reign in the plot and make it more manageable. I like the KH story and its weird convoluted charm, but I don't think it would work for an actual series.

Around the Network

Maybe I'll actually understand the story. I quit the series after the first game.

shikamaru317 said:

Seems it is animated in Unreal engine:

That means the CG assets can be directly exported using Unreal Engine 5 to PS5 LOL, and Kingdom Hearts 4 is ready.

Can someone with more technical knowledge than me explain why a pilot should be made with unreal engine? Based on experience, I'd guess that the tools Disney has at their disposal are far more powerful. Maybe it was just quicker for a test of concept since Square would be more familiar with that, but I feel like using the tools that they typically use for CGI movies would be far better for an actual series.

This is really exciting. I haven’t actually used my Disney+ for anything yet so it’s nice to know I’ll be able to watch one of my favorite game series being adapted into a show on it.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
JWeinCom said:
Can someone with more technical knowledge than me explain why a pilot should be made with unreal engine? Based on experience, I'd guess that the tools Disney has at their disposal are far more powerful. Maybe it was just quicker for a test of concept since Square would be more familiar with that, but I feel like using the tools that they typically use for CGI movies would be far better for an actual series.

Well, it seems that Square will actually be developing the show themselves, rather than Disney. So maybe Square is planning on sharing assets between the show and the next gen KH5 project they seem to be working on? 

Maybe, but I just don't know enough about game development vs show development to know if that would be efficient.  Seems like it would make the show harder to develop and lower quality, but again, that's just my lay opinion.

JWeinCom said:

UE, being real-time, means they wouldn't need to rent out render farms to make it. Maybe it was cheaper/quicker to develop the pilot this way?

MasonADC said:
This is really exciting. I haven’t actually used my Disney+ for anything yet so it’s nice to know I’ll be able to watch one of my favorite game series being adapted into a show on it.

Disney + has generally been a big disappointment for me so far.  I was anticipating far more original content.  I only watch old Disney movies once in a while, so it would be more cost effective to simply rent one when I have the desire.

shikamaru317 said:
JWeinCom said:

Disney + has generally been a big disappointment for me so far.  I was anticipating far more original content.  I only watch old Disney movies once in a while, so it would be more cost effective to simply rent one when I have the desire.

They seem to have alot of original content in the works, there just wasn't much ready on launch. A list of interesting things that seem to be in development currently, some confirmed, some through leaks from reputable sources:

Original Movies

• Home Alone remake
  • Honey I Shrunk the Kids reboot focused on an adult Nick Zelinksi (played by Josh Gad) from the first movie who has become an inventor like his father, with Rick Moranis reported to be coming out of his retirement to reprise his role as Wayne Zelinski, now a grandfather
  • Parent Trap remake
  • Cheaper by the Dozen remake
  • Night at the Museum remake
  • Diary of a Wimpy kid remake
  • Sister Act 3
  • Aladdin live action spinoff focused on side character Prince Anders
  • Live action remakes of Disney's animated movies Robin Hood, Lilo and Stitch, and Sword in the Stone

TV Series

(Star Wars)

-The Mandalorian season 2 and 3

-Cassian Andor + K-2SO Rogue One prequel series

-Obi-Wan 6 episode mini-series on Tatooine

-Untitled Star Wars series with female lead

(MCU)

-The Falcon and Winter Soldier

-WandaVision

-Hawkeye

-Loki

-Moon Knight

-Ms. Marvel

-She-Hulk

(Disney/Pixar)

-Mighty Ducks reboot

-Gaston and LeFou series with actors from Beauty and the Beast live-action remake

-Lizzie McGuire reboot (currently on-hold due to a conflict between the shows creator and Disney over the age group the show should be aimed at, families or adults, creator wants it to be an adult focused M rated show aimed at fans of the original who are now adults, Disney wants it to be a family focused TV-PG or TV-14 rated show that fans of the original can watch with their own kids)

-Proud Family reboot

-Monsters Inc. series

(other)

-The Sandlot reboot

-National Treasure series

-Willow series

-True Lies series

-Percy Jackson series

-Ice Age series

-Doogie Howser reboot with female lead

I'm personally not interested in all these remakes and reboots, particularly of B and C Tier disney properties.  I think enduring the Parent Trap twice was enough.

JWeinCom said:

Economically, whatever tools Square-Enix can use the best would be the most efficient.  Disney proper should be making other content.  Overall it just means more content for Disney+ in general.  It's kind of like when Nintendo gets Ubisoft to make a Mario + Rabbids game.  Even if Nintendo developers could have done a better job, it's still better to have someone else make stuff for their platform, because then Nintendo devs can make other games.  In both cases it's just more content.