By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which 16/8 bit games do you think do/don't hold up?

So, I just got my Turbografx 16 mini in the mail this weekend. Like most people, I never had one of these growing up. Playing all these unknown games has reignited my passion for 8 and 16 bit games. There are a lot of obviously good games from this era. But then there's both a ton of games that aged terribly, as well as hidden gems. Filtering out the junk to find the diamonds in the rough is the most rewarding, difficult, and frustrating endeavor for me. Anyway I thought I'd post five games I think don't hold up, as well as five hidden gems that I think do hold up. 

Edit: Fine, people don't like my list. Please make your own. I wanted to hear what other people had to say, way more than I wanted to talk about my own opinions anyway. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 24 May 2020

Around the Network

Gunstar Heroes and Turtles In Time doesn't hold up?...….maybe retro gaming isn't for you?

KLXVER said:

Gunstar Heroes and Turtles In Time doesn't hold up?...….maybe retro gaming isn't for you?

I stopped reading the OP at that point. All credibility gone. 

Have to disagree with your games that don't hold up. All of 'em :)

I will say I think a lot a 16-bit platformers with spongy, drawn-out animations don't hold up very well from a game play perspective. From the 8-bit era, a lot of the arcade ports are still excellent, but some of the early (think 2600) multiplayer games are overly simplistic to the point of barely being what we would consider games today. Early 3D games also have a lot of examples of titles that are negatively impacted in retrospect due to devs not having a basis for how to handle 3D cameras and controls yet.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

KLXVER said:

That's fine if you disagree. What games from that era do you like, or not like? 

Around the Network

I would say that all 8/16-bit era games that weren't crap at the time of their release hold up pretty well by today's standards. And they definitely aged way better than early 3D era games. The fact that indie studios still pursue that look even today proves it.

I've been playing a lot of Sega Genesis games over the past year or two.  Here's what I've found:

Holds Up
Golden Axe, Sonic 1 & 2, Shining Force 2, Castlevania: Bloodlines

Doesn't Hold Up
Phantasy Star 4, Aladdin, World of Illusion (w. Mickey M. and Donald D.) 

Most NES/SNES games hold up pretty well today. Specially from the SNES, 16bits graphics are ageless as far as im concerned and almost all good games of that era still feel like good games today. Wouldnt do well to mention them since I'd be writing a huge list of them. That era is ageless. And yes, even TMNT Turtles in time, I have no idea what you are on about, that game is as entertaining today as it was back then, much more so than Streets of Rage 2, which has also aged pretty well. 

The original Star Fox for SNES and Battletoads of the NES are two that come to mind that I dont consider that have aged well, but maybe im biased, because I didnt like Star Fox back then. The original Pokemon Red/Blue have also not aged well in terms of graphics and the mechanics that the franchise uses now that it didnt back then, but since modern Pokemon games are made WAY too easy I'd say Red/Blue remain the most challening, so still worth revisiting if you are a fan.

Cerebralbore101 said:
KLXVER said:

That's fine if you disagree. What games from that era do you like, or not like? 

Way too many to list. 

Also its fine if you don't like certain games. There are plenty of games I don't like, but that doesn't mean they have aged badly. 

Don't really like the original Metroid or Zelda. Metroid just feels off and Zelda is a bit too aimless.

I think all the Gameboy Pokemon games hold up very well. Street Fighter 2 is still awesome. Pretty much all of the Mario games aside from Lost Levels. Mega Man 2. Sonic 2/3.