By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Switch could be Nintendo's second most successful generation ever, based on software sales.

It will sell a lot, but it HAD the potential to sell way more and even be number 1. Which is a shame as the Switch is a great console.

The piss poor efforts from third parties with their half games and digital codes only has meant that people like me who collect a lot of physical media games, have significantly reduced our purchasing.

There is at least 30 additional games I would have owned already if the full game come on the physical medium. Crapcom an 2K are the worst at it.

Around the Network

If we're talking physical game sales only (which we seem to be), Switch will likely not touch 1 billion. Think of it. The Switch will probably sell 100-110 million units. That's a software tie ratio of about 10-9. I don't see most Switch owners reaching that threshold, especially only including physical games. Switch will very much hit 700 million, as its already over halfway there. Also keep in mind that we'll get at least 250-300 more physical Switch games in its lifetime. I'll predict 750 million software sales.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Switch will be the first Nintendo system with 1B pieces of software sold IMO.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!