Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 10 to 16

Chicho said:
This adjustment puts the switch less than 5M behind the NES. Switch sould be able to catch up before the year is out.

At this rate it could even do it before Q4 is upon us. The little system that could

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
MasonADC said:

No one predicted a global pandemic 

Well some predicted cataclism in 2018 or even 2019 predicting PS4 wouldn't pass Wii =p

No idea what this means 

kazuyamishima said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Imagine if Sony had cut to $199 in September of 2018. They'd probably be on track to rival PS2

September 2018 was too soon. But the system is still selling at $299 (slim) and $399 (pro).

But from now It all depends on Sony’s strategy, do they want to make the most profit possible or want to sell more units??

Selling more units generates more profits long term.  Also I don't think it was too soon they could've struck while the iron was hot and kept their baseline up for more years.  Also with BC in the next gen they're investing in the future as PS4 owners are more likely to upgrade to PS5 with all their games 

I am Iron Man

curl-6 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Imagine if Sony had cut to $199 in September of 2018. They'd probably be on track to rival PS2

Would've made a whole lot less money though. I mean Nintendo could drop the Switch to $199 and the Lite to $99 if they wanted, but then they wouldn't be making those juicy profit margins. Profit is more important to companies than sales numbers.

PlayStation plus and more games and probably more PS5 owners with BC next gen

I am Iron Man

MasonADC said:
DonFerrari said:

Well some predicted cataclism in 2018 or even 2019 predicting PS4 wouldn't pass Wii =p

No idea what this means 

On a thread predicting when PS4 would pass Wii in sales there were people saying never up until mid 2019.

The only way that would happen would be apocalypse.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Well the former CFO became the CEO that same year.

His focus base on his experience is managing the company finances. That type of CEO is more likely to not sell products at a loss, hence no PS4/Pro price cut.

And he likely wont cut prices on PS4 until well into next gen.

If sony did a price cut to 249 or even 199$ in 2018 or even 2019 it could help very much .. 2019 would be at least 16-17M and 2020 15M at least, then in 2021 when PS4 would start to drop to let's say maybe 10M for the year (because of the PS5 and because 2 years passed since last pricecut) they could do a pricecut again to maintaint at least 12-13M for that year and with another 3 years maybe 4 left on the market, PS4 would probably reached PS2 numbers.

Last edited by yo33331 - on 24 May 2020

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
curl-6 said:

Would've made a whole lot less money though. I mean Nintendo could drop the Switch to $199 and the Lite to $99 if they wanted, but then they wouldn't be making those juicy profit margins. Profit is more important to companies than sales numbers.

Well, I'm not privy to what goes on in the upper echelons of Sony but given they chose not to cut the  price I can only imagine they figured the profit margin they made on each console would bring in more than selling a greater number of systems at a loss.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Well, I'm not privy to what goes on in the upper echelons of Sony but given they chose not to cut the  price I can only imagine they figured the profit margin they made on each console would bring in more than selling a greater number of systems at a loss.

That is the most reasonable conclusion. Considering Sony have been doing well then we can only assume that whatever price point they kept the console is the one that on their projections generate the biggest profit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994