By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - With Series X, Microsoft has no more excuses for first party software droughts

Dulfite said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

A major problem with the Xbox One was its poor first party support. While Sony and Nintendo released a steady stream of great games for their platforms, the XBO was routinely plagued with lengthy software droughts on Microsoft's end. If you don't like Halo, Forza, or Gears, you were lucky to get two or three games published by Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios a year that weren't those. XGS has bulked up for the next generation significantly, and this year sees a much more consistent first party release schedule. A step in the right direction, but Microsoft needs to prove that it's learned from the Xbox One. That being, no more 7 month software droughts of first party games anymore. Nintendo's gotten over that shit, Microsoft should too. 

If we ever see a year like 2018 or 2019 from them again, then something is clearly wrong. 

When has Nintendo ever had 7 months with no first party game? If we are counting both handhelds and home consoles I don't think ever?

And to not count both is something I don't agree with because more than Sony and way more than Microsoft, Nintendo has had to split it's software divisions in half to satisfy gamers on both platforms. Now, with the Switch and going forward with a unified platform, that has even less of a chance of happening.

I know this is mostly off topic, but I don't get the shot taken at Nintendo in the op. Can you give me some years in which there were 7 month droughts of no first party games from them? Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess he is talking about WiiU only because it was really abandoned.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

A major problem with the Xbox One was its poor first party support. While Sony and Nintendo released a steady stream of great games for their platforms, the XBO was routinely plagued with lengthy software droughts on Microsoft's end. If you don't like Halo, Forza, or Gears, you were lucky to get two or three games published by Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios a year that weren't those. XGS has bulked up for the next generation significantly, and this year sees a much more consistent first party release schedule. A step in the right direction, but Microsoft needs to prove that it's learned from the Xbox One. That being, no more 7 month software droughts of first party games anymore. Nintendo's gotten over that shit, Microsoft should too. 

If we ever see a year like 2018 or 2019 from them again, then something is clearly wrong. 

I think that was the goal of purchasing several studios.

Most notably, studios that mostly have a pretty good record of releasing games.

Furthermore, they need to keep content coming to encourage Game Pass subscriptions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Otter said:
It will be another year or 2 before we start seeing the fruits of their current aquisitions

Depends where you draw the line. The Outerworlds has been on Gamepass since day one. Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 are scheduled for this year, they are multiplat and I'm sure they will be on Game Pass.

Bleeding Edge already released which is an exclusive. Grounded is scheduled for 2020.

I think its possible other recent acquisitions may have content sooner than two years as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

vivster said:

Sorry, but I've heard just too many times the beautiful phrase of "We are pumping so many resources in acquiring 1st party games, but please be patient because making games takes years". Well, many years have passed and nothing happened, so excuse me if I don't have much confidence in anyone claiming the exact thing right now.

As for the sudden shift, I don't see it. If anything the X360 showed how much weaker their brand is compared to Playstation. If I get a 90m head start in a 100m dash against Usain Bolt and finish a millisecond behind him, that doesn't mean I'm suddenly close to equal with him. No, it highlights even more how great Bolt is by still being able to win with such a handicap. Not only had the 360 a massive head start, every sale after it was basically compound interest due to a more competitive base and so many more people already jumping on it because there was no alternative. XSX doesn't have a massive head start this time and it looks like prices of both are gonna be competitive. PS5 is even in a way better position that the PS4 was since it is able to leverage a substantial fanbase and reconfirmed trust by consumers.

X1 once again confirmed that even coming from the strongest position they ever had, they couldn't capitalize on it. Why? Because they did not have any competitive 1st party offerings. They couldn't even be arsed to do it when they most needed it, so why would anyone believe that right now that suddenly is going to change? The hope for XSX to turn things around is about as feeble as my hope for a failed Switch.

I wish nothing more than Xbox completely crushing Playstation into oblivion, but I just can't see it.

I would just like to point out the fact that according to vgchartz, and I generally trust their numbers on this since it was before digital sales really took off, PS3 sold about 1.6m more consoles than 360. However, 360 sold about 34m more software than PS3. So, in terms of revenue, I think it’s clear that 360 did in fact win over PS3 that generation. Just saying.

This generation could be the best first party support for an Xbox console ever.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 20 May 2020

Around the Network
vivster said:

Microsoft had 3 generations of showing a strong 1st party lineup, they never delivered. There is absolutely no reason to believe it's gonna be different this time around.

We've been hearing about MS beefing up their 1st party for 15 years now.

There was a window of a few years on the Xbox 360 where MS was nailing the first and second party mix.

But broadly I agree with the thread. MS has bought up game studios en masse. The first year of Series X can be expected to be a little dry given the timing of the purchases, but after that I'd expect to see multiple high quality exclusives with decent diversity each year.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

vivster said:

Sorry, but I've heard just too many times the beautiful phrase of "We are pumping so many resources in acquiring 1st party games, but please be patient because making games takes years". Well, many years have passed and nothing happened, so excuse me if I don't have much confidence in anyone claiming the exact thing right now.

Fair enough, but I would say that, seeing as they have 10 games already announced for the near future (with supposedly more to be announced on July) they appear to be keeping their promise on the quantity front.

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

When has Nintendo ever had 7 months with no first party game? If we are counting both handhelds and home consoles I don't think ever?

And to not count both is something I don't agree with because more than Sony and way more than Microsoft, Nintendo has had to split it's software divisions in half to satisfy gamers on both platforms. Now, with the Switch and going forward with a unified platform, that has even less of a chance of happening.

I know this is mostly off topic, but I don't get the shot taken at Nintendo in the op. Can you give me some years in which there were 7 month droughts of no first party games from them? Maybe I'm wrong.

They still came out with 3ds games during that time.

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

They still came out with 3ds games during that time.

I know, but for a costumer of WiiU the releases on 3DS doesn't really matter.

It is like saying that because MS was releasing Windows and Office products during that time alleviate they not releasing games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I just don't want to hear MS say yet again for the 15th year in a row "Greatest lineup in Xbox history" . Heard that promise forever and a day. I kinda wish they would revive Rare lesser-known stuff like Wizards and Warriors. Maybe Captain Skyhawk?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!