By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - One of those nights, any help?

SvennoJ said:

Still there's lots of room for improvement in PC gaming. Controller support for one thing.
Forza Horizon 4 will not work even when simply having a DS4 plugged in to charge. Got to disconnect any peripherals and charging controllers to use a XBox controller to play. (It will not work with DS4, I have tried many workarounds)
Alt-tab, why can't MS ever get this right. Why does it work for some, not for others and some end up crashing hard. PC is supposed to be a multi tasking machine until you ask it to multi task... The PS4 never has this problem. Even when the shitty browser crashes yet again, you can always resume the game

I think DS4 trouble is at least partially because as far as I know, there still isn't an official driver for it on PC (right?). An annoying situation for sure, especially considering how good the controller is (or at least I think so).

I think I've read that Alt+Tab is traditionally a problem because in the past, games have taken exclusive ownership of the graphics context, so other programs can't use it. I think Alt+Tab requires the developer to add support for Alt+Tabbing explicitly. I'm not sure whether that's the case with borderless 'fullscreen' though, but I think not - but it ought to cost some performance last I heard. Anyway, I imagine the whole graphics context thing is weight from way back to who knows where, and wouldn't be a problem if Windows was designed today from scratch. But alas, backwards compatibility can be a double-edged sword...

Anyway, if you're using Windows 10, I've noticed that even the hardest to Alt+Tab games can often be Alt+Tabbed if you open a new desktop (Win+Tab -> New desktop or Ctrl+Win+D to create a new one and Ctrl+Win+L/R Arrow to switch between desktops). It's annoying but can help in some situations that might otherwise be difficult to resolve. I think you might have to Alt+Tab and kind of get stuck before doing the desktop trick though, but I can't remember because it's been a while since I had to do that.

SvennoJ said:

Someone who play frequently also has far less downtime for updates in percentage than someone who plays once a week. I stopped checking in on Elite Dangerous since every time I wanted play for a little bit, an update was waiting again, with possible new driver updates needed and new balancing of graphics settings. Once it lost all my controller bindings as well after an update, 6 pages of settings ugh.

That's actually my problem with console gaming, because the updates are huge, download speeds are relatively slow, and things are never updated when I start my PS4. That said, I haven't had any trouble with updates once I've managed to download them, so no losing... tons of settings like you have on PC. :-/

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Hey, I'm not saying there aren't problems with PCs in general, because there absolutely are. Every time I plug a USB stick in my computer, it seems to be random whether my PC can read it or not. If not, I switch it to different ports until it starts working. Of course there are other problems as well from time to time. However, it's PC gaming that I haven't had any major trouble in a long time, but I don't think it's a fair comparison to mention general PC problems in a gaming discussion unless all you have your computer for is gaming. My impression is that PC gaming these days is fairly easy - for more people than just me.

A post that seems completely different than your response to me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zkuq said:
SvennoJ said:

Still there's lots of room for improvement in PC gaming. Controller support for one thing.
Forza Horizon 4 will not work even when simply having a DS4 plugged in to charge. Got to disconnect any peripherals and charging controllers to use a XBox controller to play. (It will not work with DS4, I have tried many workarounds)
Alt-tab, why can't MS ever get this right. Why does it work for some, not for others and some end up crashing hard. PC is supposed to be a multi tasking machine until you ask it to multi task... The PS4 never has this problem. Even when the shitty browser crashes yet again, you can always resume the game

I think DS4 trouble is at least partially because as far as I know, there still isn't an official driver for it on PC (right?). An annoying situation for sure, especially considering how good the controller is (or at least I think so).

I think I've read that Alt+Tab is traditionally a problem because in the past, games have taken exclusive ownership of the graphics context, so other programs can't use it. I think Alt+Tab requires the developer to add support for Alt+Tabbing explicitly. I'm not sure whether that's the case with borderless 'fullscreen' though, but I think not - but it ought to cost some performance last I heard. Anyway, I imagine the whole graphics context thing is weight from way back to who knows where, and wouldn't be a problem if Windows was designed today from scratch. But alas, backwards compatibility can be a double-edged sword...

Anyway, if you're using Windows 10, I've noticed that even the hardest to Alt+Tab games can often be Alt+Tabbed if you open a new desktop (Win+Tab -> New desktop or Ctrl+Win+D to create a new one and Ctrl+Win+L/R Arrow to switch between desktops). It's annoying but can help in some situations that might otherwise be difficult to resolve. I think you might have to Alt+Tab and kind of get stuck before doing the desktop trick though, but I can't remember because it's been a while since I had to do that.

SvennoJ said:

Someone who play frequently also has far less downtime for updates in percentage than someone who plays once a week. I stopped checking in on Elite Dangerous since every time I wanted play for a little bit, an update was waiting again, with possible new driver updates needed and new balancing of graphics settings. Once it lost all my controller bindings as well after an update, 6 pages of settings ugh.

That's actually my problem with console gaming, because the updates are huge, download speeds are relatively slow, and things are never updated when I start my PS4. That said, I haven't had any trouble with updates once I've managed to download them, so no losing... tons of settings like you have on PC. :-/

The only time I have to wait for an update is when I just install a game and want to wait (because any non-MP game I have been able to start without update), other than that my PS4 games are all on auto update. So I never notice the need, just from time to time see a pop up saying X game was updated.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:
Hey, I'm not saying there aren't problems with PCs in general, because there absolutely are. Every time I plug a USB stick in my computer, it seems to be random whether my PC can read it or not. If not, I switch it to different ports until it starts working. Of course there are other problems as well from time to time. However, it's PC gaming that I haven't had any major trouble in a long time, but I don't think it's a fair comparison to mention general PC problems in a gaming discussion unless all you have your computer for is gaming. My impression is that PC gaming these days is fairly easy - for more people than just me.

True, sorry about that. I was assuming a gaming context from the start because we're on a gaming forum and this thread was about a gaming problem, so I suppose at least it was an easy mistake to make.

DonFerrari said:
Zkuq said:

The only time I have to wait for an update is when I just install a game and want to wait (because any non-MP game I have been able to start without update), other than that my PS4 games are all on auto update. So I never notice the need, just from time to time see a pop up saying X game was updated.

I usually want to wait even when installing a new game because those updates sure do bring lots of good stuff these days (partially because sometimes games are barely ready when they're released). I don't have auto-update though, because it's ridiculously locked behind a paywall, and I'd get maybe a few hours of worth every few months so it's not even nearly worth the cost to me. That 'few hours' is how much I'd maybe play online on consoles if I had access to online gameplay, and no, PS+ games don't help because my backlog is so huge that I'd never get to play them anyway. If PS+ is worth it for you though (and it seems to be for a lot of people), I guess auto-updates are quite handy.

Zkuq said:

I usually want to wait even when installing a new game because those updates sure do bring lots of good stuff these days (partially because sometimes games are barely ready when they're released). I don't have auto-update though, because it's ridiculously locked behind a paywall, and I'd get maybe a few hours of worth every few months so it's not even nearly worth the cost to me. That 'few hours' is how much I'd maybe play online on consoles if I had access to online gameplay, and no, PS+ games don't help because my backlog is so huge that I'd never get to play them anyway. If PS+ is worth it for you though (and it seems to be for a lot of people), I guess auto-updates are quite handy.

I have ps+ (for GT Sport online races and my kids use it on the primary ps4) play often but also don't have auto updates enabled. For that the system needs to be in standby mode. Since I use the ps4 pro in different places depending on the game and time of day it needs to be off or it gets very angry for unplugging it while in standby mode. Most updates fail anyway because of the stupid disk space requirements. GT Sport is 108 GB, requiring another 108 GB to update and it takes 35 minutes to install the update (copy the game over). SSD next gen will be a blessing, it only being 850 GB will be a curse.

Steam keeps everything up to date by itself, which is how I wrongly assumed the game had the new update (which was for the beta branch) or I wouldn't have even tried to get it running again.

It's a pita either way. Auto updates plus bandwidth caps don't mix (I'm glad to have unlimited internet now at least). Auto updates with limited disk space don't mix either. Choosing what to update sucks as well since often when I launch an older game it wants to update first. (Doesn't matter for single player but anything online like GT Sport won't work until updated)

PS+ games, I downloaded Uncharted 4, then deleted it again because I needed the disk space to update ARK to play with my kids. By the time it was done updating my kids had moved on to Fortnite. Fun times.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Zkuq said:

I have ps+ (for GT Sport online races and my kids use it on the primary ps4) play often but also don't have auto updates enabled. For that the system needs to be in standby mode. Since I use the ps4 pro in different places depending on the game and time of day it needs to be off or it gets very angry for unplugging it while in standby mode. Most updates fail anyway because of the stupid disk space requirements. GT Sport is 108 GB, requiring another 108 GB to update and it takes 35 minutes to install the update (copy the game over). SSD next gen will be a blessing, it only being 850 GB will be a curse.

Steam keeps everything up to date by itself, which is how I wrongly assumed the game had the new update (which was for the beta branch) or I wouldn't have even tried to get it running again.

It's a pita either way. Auto updates plus bandwidth caps don't mix (I'm glad to have unlimited internet now at least). Auto updates with limited disk space don't mix either. Choosing what to update sucks as well since often when I launch an older game it wants to update first. (Doesn't matter for single player but anything online like GT Sport won't work until updated)

PS+ games, I downloaded Uncharted 4, then deleted it again because I needed the disk space to update ARK to play with my kids. By the time it was done updating my kids had moved on to Fortnite. Fun times.

Oh, I had already forgotten about the standby requirement... Yeah, I don't keep my PS4 in standby mode either because I'm worred about accidentally disconnecting the power cable e.g. when cleaning or when switching the HDMI cable (because there's only one HDMI port in my TV).

Space requirements in general and updates are why I don't consider console gaming these days very convenient. Almost every game requires me to waste time deciding what game I want to delete, and then I need to wait for the new game to install and preferably update as well. It's annoying also because it's very unpredictable: When starting up my PS4, I never know if there's an update waiting for me and how long I might have to wait for the update to finish downloading.

Steam's auto-update is really unreliable, I feel. I mean, I guess it probably keep games up-to-date pretty well, but too often I see 'Update queued' next to my games in my library, wondering whether it's going to update by itself later or if something's bugged. There are only a few of those at most at once, so I'm guessing Steam generally keeps things updated on its own, but thoses cases where it's not updating something are somewhat baffling.

I'm really happy we pretty much never got bandwidth caps here in Finland. Not even the cheapest plans have any bandwidth caps. There was a short moment when some were attempted to be introduced, but apparently they died quite quickly.

Zkuq said:
DonFerrari said:

True, sorry about that. I was assuming a gaming context from the start because we're on a gaming forum and this thread was about a gaming problem, so I suppose at least it was an easy mistake to make.

DonFerrari said:

No problem. My PC for gaming I only use emulation of android and that is a hog and crashes to frequently, but well that isn't something I fault the PC for.

I agree it is ridiculous to lockdown the auto-update when so many games have updates so frequently. And yes I can imagine how much of a bother it would be to wait for it everytime I want to play a game. I guess that is a lot easier with steam.

PS+ is worth because of the discounts and free games, I don't play MP games and I don't like the fact they are behind a paywall as well, PC is better on this as well (besides Mods if you care about it and have the experience to chose the best ones).

I wonder if there is a shortcut to change max processor state.

I bought KSP finally (on sale) and it literally cooks my CPU with 144hz refresh rate, shot up to 93c in a few minutes with the fans going into turbo mode. Setting max processor state to 99 instantly cooled it down to 64c without any noticeable changes to the frame rate (still buttery smooth). However other games get a lot more stutter without turbo mode on the CPU (old stuff that doesn't use multiple cores and brute forces everything through a single core)

Anyway fans quiet now, CPU 57c, GPU 54c, simple fix. Just got to remember to change it again for single core games.