By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Atelier Fans: Are you afraid to play an Atelier game?

Should I start playing Atelier Ryza?

Yes. 4 33.33%

No. 3 25.00%

Thick girls are cool. 1 8.33%

What...? 4 33.33%

Total:12

With the exception of Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy, I have every single North American released PlayStation platform Atelier game for the PS2 to the current PS4 including the VITA/PSTV versions in some form or fashion.  But that's the problem that it's in some form or fashion.  I'm sure you Atelier fans can agree that these games are NOT cheap.  The Limited Editions are always nice, but costly.  And when these titles go out of print, the prices skyrocket on the gray market.  It seems fairly common place now to have a vanilla (original) version of an Atelier title then later to be re-released as a "Plus" version.  Then later, again, releasing a "DX" (Deluxe) version of that same title.  What the hell??? Does Gust or Tecmo/Koei or whoever expects us to triple dip each time an Atelier title comes out?

So Atelier fans, are you afraid to start/purchase a vanilla version of an Atelier title, knowing in the back of your mind that there is a high probability of a Plus and/or DX version somewhere down the pipeline?  Do you chance paying for that vanilla version, chancing the release of that possible Plus or DX version?  Or do you chance missing out on an Atelier title by not buying the vanilla version in hopes that a Plus or DX version will be released?  Get my drift?

Do I overthink these things?  Yeah.  It's just who I am.  So I'm going to start playing Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout PS4.  But I was wonder if I should move on to another turned based JRPG for the time being so I don't "waste" my time playing the vanilla version in case a Plus/DX version gets released in the near future.  Kinda like Persona 5 Royal: Phantom Thieves was released after the original Persona 5.

Don't you just love first world problems?

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 04 May 2020

Around the Network

Like Rol said, the issue with vanilla Atelier is the fact that the DLC prices are really bad.

Is already terrible how the season pass of something like Lydie and Suelle costs more than the base game.

Then there is Ryza now locking out character episodes behind paid DLC, on top of the usual nonsense. 

This series is the ultimate example of "the one that got away". Been interested for years, but have missed physical launches over and over, and as time has gone by, and my library has grown, the likelihood of jumping in has decreased. It doesn't help that it always seems to be expensive on the digital front. I DO have the Vita versions digitally, but haven't played the Vita in about 18 months, and may never do so again. That's its own story.  But a combination of forgetfulness, high prices, and unbelievable bad luck with the Vita has probably deep-sixed any chance of getting into the series. Go for it! Nice avi Metal. :)

Last edited by COKTOE - on 04 May 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Bandorr said:
Not really sure what you're talking about.
Like I do - but not really with a time frame.

How many of them got DX versions? And what got improved with said DX version?
If persona is your example - then I'm not in your boat. Waiting 4 years for a better version is just insane to me.

That said Atelier Ryza was my first Atelier game. It was amazing. 10/10 for everything. Character, story, combat, how easy it was to use the alchemy, collectables etc.

Maybe 9/10 for some things. It wasn't really clear where to get what element. I need X to make my boots or my compass where do I get it? What do I use etc. I had to use a guide at the end for stuff like that. Don't get me started on 9999ing stuff etc.

I live in no fear of a game I'm playing getting "better". I am not patient. FF7r make absolutely insane on PC - I'm not waiting.

I'm probably somewhat of an anomaly here.  I'm a Persona fan after the re-release on the PSP, Innocent Sin, 3, and 4 Golden.  Plain and simple.  So it was a no-brainier for me to preorder the Persona 5 - "Take Your Heart" Premium Edition.  With certain franchises (like Atelier), I'm a sucker for Premium/Limited Editions.  So I've had the Premium Edition since launch. When the standard version dropped in price to $20 Greatest Hits, I still had no regrets paying $76.49 for the Premium Edition because the extras were well worth it.  What makes my situation somewhat of an anomaly is that when you're working full time, a parent, and a community "pillar" of sorts, certain hobbies take a back seat.  When I finally got around to playing Persona 5, the announcement of the Royal version was in the works.  So I refrained from Persona 5 to finish both Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank THIS YEAR (Yes, 2020.).  Then I'll later dive into the "definitive" version of Persona 5 in the form of the Royal release.  So time has ALWAYS been a major factor in deciding which game to play next.

Probably the biggest issue with the Atelier Series is that there have been so many titles of that series, and I've purchase almost every single Limited Edition of the PS3, VITA/PSTV, and PS4 titles there are.  The extra physical content has been nice.  But for me, so much time has elapsed from the original (vanilla) release to a "definitive" edition before I've had a chance to play the original.  So when I do hear of a Plus/DX version, it's more tempting to delve into those since I've yet to play the original releases.  But the ongoing costs.  Just feels like I keep getting burned with this.

I've heard a lot of nice things (undoubtedly) about Ryza (such as your 10/10 rating) which helps me see past the hype/anticipation of a Plus or DX version and just enjoy the damn game.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 04 May 2020

COKTOE said:

This series is the ultimate example of "the one that got away". Been interested for years, but have missed physical launches over and over, and as time has gone by, and my library has grown, the likelihood of jumping in has decreased. It doesn't help that it always seems to be expensive on the digital front. I DO have the Vita versions digitally, but haven't played the Vita in about 18 months, and may never do so again. That's its own story.  But a combination of forgetfulness, high prices, and unbelievable bad luck with the Vita has probably deep-sixed any chance of getting into the series. Go for it! Nice avi Metal. :)

As soon as I square away some yard work this week, more than likely I'll pull the trigger on this one.  It's always nice getting a "community push" now and then.  And the avy, I actually accidentally came across this one.

Around the Network

What even is this series? I only heard of it during the PS3 era and they look like the most generic JRPGs. Why are there so many of them and what about them do people love so much? What sets them apart? They don't look as bad as those Compile games but they don't look esp good either. Why I never tried them.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Gust stopped the DX versions after the Dusk trilogy. No "Plus" version of Atelier Sophie, or of any series title after that has been made. I think it's safe to say they move on entirely new entries now, not to mention they widen their activities with Fairy Tail, Blue Reflection and the likes.

COKTOE said:

Same. I love JRPGs was never sure if these games were for me though cause I know they are different. Now it just seems insane to try and get started. Even trying to work my way through Yakuza has not been easy although it  has been fun even if Kiwami 2 was a bit of a let down.

method114 said:
COKTOE said:

Same. I love JRPGs was never sure if these games were for me though cause I know they are different. Now it just seems insane to try and get started. Even trying to work my way through Yakuza has not been easy although it  has been fun even if Kiwami 2 was a bit of a let down.

Ha. I play games slowly for the most part, but even for players who finish faster, those Yakuza games are a commitment. Might seem crazy, but I usually spend about 130 hours in the 3 Yakuza games I've played ( 3, 4, and 5 ).

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Havnt played these games for a while. They always frustrated me how the quests were timed so you couldn't freely run around exploring and fighting enemies. If they took away the times part of the quests then I'd probably have another go at these.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website