Forums - Sony Discussion - Atelier Fans: Are you afraid to play an Atelier game?

Should I start playing Atelier Ryza?

Yes. 4 33.33%
 
No. 3 25.00%
 
Thick girls are cool. 1 8.33%
 
What...? 4 33.33%
 
Total:12
RolStoppable said:
Bandorr said:

I see your side also. Infact I may be jealous of it. A better game is a better game.  I mean I get to go back and play all those atelier games with the plus or dx without waiting.

I don't even know what one I'm going to try next. I hear good things about Mysterious book. But right now I can't imagine playing an atelier trilogy.

One game is so long, playing three that are out already is a mighty investment.

I'm not going the original ateliers. Still time limit gun shy. So mysterious book or Dusk maybe.

Older Atelier games are around 30 hours long for a first playthrough. It's only since Escha & Logy (second game of the Dusk trilogy) that they went past 40 hours. Ayesha and Escha & Logy of the Dusk trilogy still feature time limits, Shallie is the only Dusk game without one; since Shallie there's no time limit in Atelier games anymore.

The positive side of time limits (well, I do like time limits very much, so here I mean positive for people who do not like them) is that grinding (be that EXP or materials) and very excessive synthesis sequences had to be left out, simply because there's no time for that. I think I've told you this before, but the time limits usually don't put much pressure on the player. There's plenty of time to do syntheses for better equipment and battle items. Even in the unlikely case that you fail on the three year period that you are given, you'd still be able to move on to new game+ with your current equipment and money along with special alchemy equipment that reduces the time it takes for certain tasks. You'd be so much faster on new game+ that you'd wonder what to do with your time. Failure on first playthrough would also mean that you spent 20-25 hours at most.

I consider it a bigger challenge to fail than to succeed with the time limits that you are being given in Atelier games. You'd have to deliberately waste time in order to fall short of the main objectives. Time limit sounds more daunting than it really is.

A good description of time limits. Still not sure that sales me on the first ones. Makes Dusk easier I guess. The time limit, limiting what is required of the game is nice though. I got tried of grinding exp and materials etc.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network
COKTOE said:

This series is the ultimate example of "the one that got away". Been interested for years, but have missed physical launches over and over, and as time has gone by, and my library has grown, the likelihood of jumping in has decreased. It doesn't help that it always seems to be expensive on the digital front. I DO have the Vita versions digitally, but haven't played the Vita in about 18 months, and may never do so again. That's its own story.  But a combination of forgetfulness, high prices, and unbelievable bad luck with the Vita has probably deep-sixed any chance of getting into the series. Go for it! Nice avi Metal. :)

As soon as I square away some yard work this week, more than likely I'll pull the trigger on this one.  It's always nice getting a "community push" now and then.  And the avy, I actually accidentally came across this one.



What even is this series? I only heard of it during the PS3 era and they look like the most generic JRPGs. Why are there so many of them and what about them do people love so much? What sets them apart? They don't look as bad as those Compile games but they don't look esp good either. Why I never tried them.



Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

Leynos said:
What even is this series? I only heard of it during the PS3 era and they look like the most generic JRPGs. Why are there so many of them and what about them do people love so much? What sets them apart? They don't look as bad as those Compile games but they don't look esp good either. Why I never tried them.

Story-wise, they hardly ever use the plot of crazy god/super evil villain is threatening the whole world like most JRPGs do. The main plots are usually laid back and the focus is on character dialogues that make fun of each character's quirks. It's not even uncommon that there's only a single town in an entire game.

Gameplay-wise, they have a two-pronged approach with a usually conditional turn-based battle system (conditional means that the kind of action taken influences how far back allies and enemies alike slide back on the turn order bar) that moves at a fast pace. Tedious grinding which is all too common in JRPGs is usually left out too. The other major feature is the complex alchemy system which provides a lot of room to experiment and therefore allows even weak items to be turned into something relatively powerful once the system is understood. Equipment can be created in similar fashion.

The Atelier series carved out a unique identity and emphasizes the fun aspects of JRPGs while reducing the things that aren't fun. That's why people can easily look past lacking production values, because the games are a joy to play. Also, the music is really, really good and the characters only become more likeable due to having an individual and memorable theme assigned to them.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Gust stopped the DX versions after the Dusk trilogy. No "Plus" version of Atelier Sophie, or of any series title after that has been made. I think it's safe to say they move on entirely new entries now, not to mention they widen their activities with Fairy Tail, Blue Reflection and the likes.



Around the Network
COKTOE said:

This series is the ultimate example of "the one that got away". Been interested for years, but have missed physical launches over and over, and as time has gone by, and my library has grown, the likelihood of jumping in has decreased. It doesn't help that it always seems to be expensive on the digital front. I DO have the Vita versions digitally, but haven't played the Vita in about 18 months, and may never do so again. That's its own story.  But a combination of forgetfulness, high prices, and unbelievable bad luck with the Vita has probably deep-sixed any chance of getting into the series. Go for it! Nice avi Metal. :)

Same. I love JRPGs was never sure if these games were for me though cause I know they are different. Now it just seems insane to try and get started. Even trying to work my way through Yakuza has not been easy although it  has been fun even if Kiwami 2 was a bit of a let down.



method114 said:
COKTOE said:

This series is the ultimate example of "the one that got away". Been interested for years, but have missed physical launches over and over, and as time has gone by, and my library has grown, the likelihood of jumping in has decreased. It doesn't help that it always seems to be expensive on the digital front. I DO have the Vita versions digitally, but haven't played the Vita in about 18 months, and may never do so again. That's its own story.  But a combination of forgetfulness, high prices, and unbelievable bad luck with the Vita has probably deep-sixed any chance of getting into the series. Go for it! Nice avi Metal. :)

Same. I love JRPGs was never sure if these games were for me though cause I know they are different. Now it just seems insane to try and get started. Even trying to work my way through Yakuza has not been easy although it  has been fun even if Kiwami 2 was a bit of a let down.

Ha. I play games slowly for the most part, but even for players who finish faster, those Yakuza games are a commitment. Might seem crazy, but I usually spend about 130 hours in the 3 Yakuza games I've played ( 3, 4, and 5 ).



Chinese food for breakfast

 

Havnt played these games for a while. They always frustrated me how the quests were timed so you couldn't freely run around exploring and fighting enemies. If they took away the times part of the quests then I'd probably have another go at these.



PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

StokedUp said:
Havnt played these games for a while. They always frustrated me how the quests were timed so you couldn't freely run around exploring and fighting enemies. If they took away the times part of the quests then I'd probably have another go at these.

Time limits were ditched with Shallie. Since then they've released Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle, Lulua and Ryza, so that's six games to choose from.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
StokedUp said:
Havnt played these games for a while. They always frustrated me how the quests were timed so you couldn't freely run around exploring and fighting enemies. If they took away the times part of the quests then I'd probably have another go at these.

Time limits were ditched with Shallie. Since then they've released Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle, Lulua and Ryza, so that's six games to choose from.

I really don't mind the time limits as long as I'm sure, maybe with a guide, which quests to take on and when.  Good to know those Ateliers before Ryza that got rid of the time limit just to know.  It's now Friday afternoon, and all I've done so far is updated Ryza and watched the opening intro.  It's raining this weekend so that should afford me some time to finally start this thing.