By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SPOILERS The Last Of Us P2 SPOILERS

drkohler said:
kirby007 said:

COPIED FROM NEOGAF/RESETERA

Why are you threatening moderation in your very first post and then actively promote spoilering a yet to be released game?

Personally I think people like you should be permabanned for doing that.

The threat is from the mods, not from the OP. Mods edited the OP to add it. It means that this is the only thread where spoilers are permitted.



Around the Network

Wow... 😐

I grew tired of defending Joel's actions in the hospital scene. The Last of Us is set in a post apocalyptic world where at any given moment, every trace of one's humanity can disappear in favor of a pure survival instinct and a drive to protect what's dear to you; where the thin line separating good from evil is blurred further. It stands to reason that I would sympathize more with fleshed out and complex characters I invested in than some random daughter of an asshole surgeon who showed up for a couple of damned seconds trying to shove his shitty ideals on Joel's and Ellie's throats, and got killed in the process.

Who is the genius who thought it's a interesting idea to let a random bitch brutally murder the characters we came to love? If randomness/pointlessness is the point, then I'm sorry, but this has been done many times before more convincingly. It's as though they're trying to shock us for the sake of shock. It all sounds either forced, unnecessary, or cliche and is just there to evoke strong emotions.

I entered this thread expecting to be deeply saddened by Joel's inevitable death, but I'm exiting with profound disappointment and emptiness being my dominant emotions.

I know the context and buildup will make all of this much more tolerable than it sounds, but I'm skipping this game regardless. The main plot points are too pointless and dark to make this game worth it. Further depression is the last thing I want amidst the pandemic.



Heh, I was banned from the other thread even though I made sure to avoid spoilers in my posts. Feels pretty political, guess I had the wrong opinions then.



First of all, thank you to the leaker. I can't even imagine how it would have felt if I had bought the game blissfully ignorant of what's going to happen, and then seen it unfold in front of my eyes as it does, after years of anticipating this game and waiting to meet these characters again. I don't want to support this kind of thing in any shape or form.
Then, to the issues.
1)Ellie is gay. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever and we already knew this, at least if you played the DLC of the first game. It's just not really that important. Sure, there are people who have a problem with this, of course there are, but the vast majority of fans are not like that.
2)Joel dies. I kind of expected this to happen anyways, because gotta have that impact and tug on those heartstrings. It can also be said that Joel kind of carries some karmic debt from the first game as well, which kind of warrants his death. But I expected it to happen in a meaningful way. Like he trades his life for Ellie's or something, sacrifices himself in some way. Did not expect some rando coming out of the woodwork and just bashing his skull in. And to add insult to injury, I would then be forced to play as this shitbag of a character and hunt down the other character that I cared about from the original game. Who thought that this would be a good idea? It seems that people who are not actual fans don't really get this, unless they picture their own favorite franchise in the same situation. Try it out, put Harry Potter and Hermione in this scenario, or Link and Zelda, or whatever it is that you care about.
3)Ellie dies. I have seen some contradicting stuff about this, where Ellie might not die, but if it is true, then nope. Just no. Something has to remain of the two of them. Losing Joel would be quite enough for Ellie and for us. You can't just obliterate the whole thing that made this great in the first place. Maybe it should never had a sequel in the first place. One great story and that's it. How many great movies have been served well by sequels?
4)The political stuff. Let's compare the stories of the two games.
The first game: Two unlikely companions must travel a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by an infection in pursuit of a cure for mankind. A man and a girl must come to terms with their personal griefs and losses and grow to come together in the midst of both internal and external turmoil. A beautiful story, not something totally unique and unprecedented, but universally appealing and well executed none the less.
The sequel: Alphabet people and women are good people. Men are bad, and especially white hetero males. They cannot be trusted and they spend their time plotting to destroy the good alphabet people. Even in a destroyed world, they have nothing better to do. Oh, also revenge is bad, if you didn't know.

There are two notable male characters, Joel and Jesse, that are not card carrying members of the evil men's club, but they are both killed off, because who needs men. Well, Jesse is needed to give the lesbian couple a baby, so he has some use before he can be disposed of. The character who kills Joel is a transperson, so it's ok because alphabet is good and white male is evil. That's why you then get to play as your new hero, the transperson, because who wouldn't like to be a transhero that destroys white male scum? By the way, it's totally believable that in the middle of a chaotic apocalypse, this character has a managed to go through his/her/whatever transition, hormone treatments and all. It's totally not a brazen, political statement just bolted on forcefully, along with all the other similar stuff. Great story, guys. Gripping and compelling.

Now, I admit that most of my ranting is based on the just the leaks, and if those were all that we had, I would be more reserving with my judgment. However, we also have an account of what it was like to work on this project. There seems to have been a very politicized atmosphere, where any kind of questioning of the narrative has not been allowed. Get with the program or shut up. There is no doubt that Naughty Dog is completely run by the woke cult at this point and anyone working there will be forced to submit to their agenda or suffer the consequences. It's not hard to imagine some of the people going "I'm not sure that this is a direction that the fans are going to like very much" and then getting nothing but backlash and threats in return. This phenomenon has claimed many things from Star Wars to Doctor Who to Terminator to Star Trek and whatever else, and The Last of Us is no different in this regard. Another good thing tainted and sacrificed for the cause. The road to hell is truly paved with good intentions, and on both sides of that road there are all these different fandoms looking on with confusion and disbelief.



You do realize there is a skip cutscene button?  the technical marvel and gameplay alone is worth the price.



Around the Network

The problem is that once you give up to the woke movement, they always want more. Everything is not enough.
Could be a nice lesbian story with Ellie, and how that relationship would develop in that crazy world. Probably just a few (crazy) people would complain.
But no... we need to also have a white people religious evil group. And a trans (or a very male female) new character out of the blue. Then you play as the trans because of course you need to sympathize with her, if not she would be the villain of the game. And you can be sure there will be a lot of people later complaining the game should have gone even further of whatever.
Everything is never enough.



EnricoPallazzo said:
The problem is that once you give up to the woke movement, they always want more. Everything is not enough.
Could be a nice lesbian story with Ellie, and how that relationship would develop in that crazy world. Probably just a few (crazy) people would complain.
But no... we need to also have a white people religious evil group. And a trans (or a very male female) new character out of the blue. Then you play as the trans because of course you need to sympathize with her, if not she would be the villain of the game. And you can be sure there will be a lot of people later complaining the game should have gone even further of whatever.
Everything is never enough.

Based on the leaks she's the villain of the game regardless of the fact that you play as her...



Ka-pi96 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:
The problem is that once you give up to the woke movement, they always want more. Everything is not enough.
Could be a nice lesbian story with Ellie, and how that relationship would develop in that crazy world. Probably just a few (crazy) people would complain.
But no... we need to also have a white people religious evil group. And a trans (or a very male female) new character out of the blue. Then you play as the trans because of course you need to sympathize with her, if not she would be the villain of the game. And you can be sure there will be a lot of people later complaining the game should have gone even further of whatever.
Everything is never enough.

Based on the leaks she's the villain of the game regardless of the fact that you play as her...

I dont know, it seems to me base dont the leak everybody is a villain, everybody is looking for revenge. She is a villain just as Ellie is when she starts looking for revenge.



Two general questions regarding terms that have been brought up in response to this leak:

1. What is cancel culture?
2. Who are alphabet people?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
Two general questions regarding terms that have been brought up in response to this leak:

1. What is cancel culture?
2. Who are alphabet people?

1. Cancel culture is when there are people who say or have said, do or have done something problematic (sexism, homophobia etc) and are cancelled because of it meaning basically a boycott of that individual and perhaps even trying to destroy that persons livelihood. 
2. Alphabet people is a dogwhistle by the right for LGBT people.