By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Maker 2 – World Maker Update

Tagged games:

I agree Nintendo make shit tons of money from this cash grabs 2D Marios, that's why they are still making it

However, Mario Kart 8 deluxe sold three times more than the original game for Wii U, meaning public stills THIRSTY for a Mario Kart, no matter if it's a port or not. It's clear that while there is still a huge market for 2D Mario, this market is just not as big as it used to be.

I think a brand new 2D Mario game will sell better than a U Deluxe, and yes more than Mario Maker too, but I don't see 2D Mario been as dominant as in the past when they easily outsold their 3D counterparts, so I see 2D Mario's relevance slowly disappearing with time and becoming a more niche game, while the A-list Mario games from now will be wither 3D Marios or other Mario's series (like Mario Kart)

Around the Network

Odysseys sales indicate to me that casuals are moving on from 2d Mario and ready to really embrace the 3D games. It’s the first time a 3D Mario has sold on the level of a big 2d one and honestly NSMBU’s switch sales aren’t very impressive when you consider it essentially is a new 2d Mario to most people since so few owned a Wii U (especially casuals).

HyrulianScrolls said:
Odysseys sales indicate to me that casuals are moving on from 2d Mario and ready to really embrace the 3D games. It’s the first time a 3D Mario has sold on the level of a big 2d one and honestly NSMBU’s switch sales aren’t very impressive when you consider it essentially is a new 2d Mario to most people since so few owned a Wii U (especially casuals).

The fact that we're comparing a port to a new release, and that there was already another 2D Mario available on Switch are relevant here.  Do you think that 3D World will sell as well as Odyssey?

Sweet inclusion. I think between this and my arrival of the stylus I ordered, that'll get me finally going on this game and actually create stages rather than just knocking out the story mode.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

IcaroRibeiro said:

I agree Nintendo make shit tons of money from this cash grabs 2D Marios, that's why they are still making it

However, Mario Kart 8 deluxe sold three times more than the original game for Wii U, meaning public stills THIRSTY for a Mario Kart, no matter if it's a port or not. It's clear that while there is still a huge market for 2D Mario, this market is just not as big as it used to be.

I think a brand new 2D Mario game will sell better than a U Deluxe, and yes more than Mario Maker too, but I don't see 2D Mario been as dominant as in the past when they easily outsold their 3D counterparts, so I see 2D Mario's relevance slowly disappearing with time and becoming a more niche game, while the A-list Mario games from now will be wither 3D Marios or other Mario's series (like Mario Kart)

I agree that 2D Mario's influence and popularity is waning compared to 3D Mario. Part of this I think is because of the rise of indie games, a lot of which are 2D games. There's lots of cool 2D platformers to choose from now with unique concepts, so 2D Mario stands out less than it used to.

But also I wouldn't compare MK8D to NSMBU:D. MK8D was the second big title for the system, and so was fully accepted as THE Mario Kart of the Switch. NSMBU:D was kinda just thrown out there a couple weeks after the holidays last year as just another title in the library. I don't think anyone would expect NSMBU:D to sell like crazy, and yet it still might end up at 10 million. I consider those crazy sales for it. A brand new 2D Mario game would likely sell 15+ million. Less than Odyssey absolutely, but the success of NSMBU:D shows that a new 2D Mario game would be a mega seller as well. I'm surprised at how well NSMBU has sold on Switch, while surprised how low Mario Maker sales are so far. Mario Maker looks like it'll end up around NSMBU at maybe just over 10 million. I really thought it would be more like a 15 million seller. Hopefully this update helps boost sales though.

Around the Network
HyrulianScrolls said:
This is insane. There really is no reason for Nintendo to make a new 2d Mario at this point, they have made mario maker 2 capable of handling infinite new 2d Mario games

I remember hearing that said when the first Super Mario Maker released.  There are plenty of reasons why a 2D Mario would be more than profitable enough to be worth Nintendo's time such as more consistency from one course to the next (no hot garbage to wade through), introduction of more and unique game elements, etc.  Besides, several iterations of RPG Maker exist and none of them seem to have put Kemco out of business.

vs.

etc....

A good update, but still I'm missing the 100 Mario challenge from Wii U with unlockable playable outfits. There's not really a motivation to play Super Worlds with random difficulty. If someone deletes a Super World you have played (which happens quite a lot since you can only upload one Super World), you get the message "no Super World has been played". Thanks! The counter of finished Super Worlds doesn't reset, fortunately.

Medal system still sucks, online modes have lag, editor is not really better than SMM1. It's such a shame. I really want to love this game, played 500+ hours, made 40+ levels, but they really f*cked up basic things. Nice idea to play levels of friends 1 year after release. And then you even have to activate that function manually in a hidden menu. Why, Nintendo? Such security settings hurt the game. In Animal Crossing you can chat with friends you know from other games, so why these ridiculous security settings in SMM2?

This game could have been such a big hit. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

Mandalore76 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
This is insane. There really is no reason for Nintendo to make a new 2d Mario at this point, they have made mario maker 2 capable of handling infinite new 2d Mario games

I remember hearing that said when the first Super Mario Maker released.  There are plenty of reasons why a 2D Mario would be more than profitable enough to be worth Nintendo's time such as more consistency from one course to the next (no hot garbage to wade through), introduction of more and unique game elements, etc.  Besides, several iterations of RPG Maker exist and none of them seem to have put Kemco out of business.

Not to mention the fact that a brand new 2D Mario series starting on Switch would give Mario Maker 3 on Switch 2 a new game style to add to the available ones in SMM2.