By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Outer World game design are held back by PS4 and Xbox One , another prove that Next gen will be held back by current gen if games are made for cross gen

Tagged games:

What do you think

Cross gen games will held... 9 52.94%

Yes it suck to have cross... 6 35.29%

I don't care because the ... 1 5.88%

i don't agree with game d... 1 5.88%

Total:17
GaoGaiGarV said:
Don't know what this guy means, but Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, Horizon or even Assassin's Creed are much bigger and much more detailed than Outer Worlds and are running just fine on current gen consoles. It is just a sorry excuse for the lack of time, money and talent.

Feel free to make a game and show them how it is done.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

How would MS first party still not be taking advantage of next gen hardware? We’ve already given you an example in Horizon 2 of MS supporting next gen hardware AND releasing a game on previous hardware. There are plenty of other examples too, whether you want to think they qualify or not 😆

Of course it’s all moot because as countless games have shown throughout history, developers can still make whatever game they want and then alter it to fit weaker hardware. But either way, explain how you expect MS to sell $500-600 hardware with no next gen games 😆

Why i have hunch that you cannot differentiate between a cross gen games (Halo infinite), games that made for two version (Forza Horizon 2),  and also games that ported to low end (The Witcher 3 on Switch)  

So seem does not grap what the meaning of cross gen is.

I've never once called Witcher 3 a cross gen game. If you need to make stuff up to prove a point, don't bother.

I know how cross gen games work. I also know you're applying the meaning differently game by game to suit your agenda. You have no idea if Halo Infinite is a game like Destiny for example, or if it's a game like Horizon 2. We've seen nothing of the game. You can disqualify games all you want or argue semantics, it doesn't change what I said. A developer can make a game with all the "next gen" bells and whistles they want, and also have the ability to scale it back for weaker hardware. It's only how games have been designed for decades.

You're making too big a deal out of cross gen games. Do you think Ass Creed Ragnarok coming to PS4 and Xbone will hold back next gen? Why would third party publishers ignore 150,000,000+ consoles? Who buys third party cross gen titles early in the generation expecting greatness? Sensible people understand that in the vast majority of cases it's the same game as last gen, just looks better. First party is clearly different.

GaoGaiGarV said:
Don't know what this guy means, but Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, Horizon or even Assassin's Creed are much bigger and much more detailed than Outer Worlds and are running just fine on current gen consoles. It is just a sorry excuse for the lack of time, money and talent.

It's as if there are many different studios with many different games with their own staff and budgets but he always wants to paint everything with a broad brush to suit his argument. Before this it was "RE3make runs better on PS4 Pro, so power doesn't matter" ignoring the gargantuan number of games that run better on Scorpio (and of course RE3 has already been patched for Scorpio so his entire premise was even more irrelevant).

Given the budget and studio size those other games you listed, who doubts Obsidian wouldn't have made a bigger, better optimized title lol.

Pemalite said:
eva01beserk said:

Im glad china is keeping PC Gaming alive with their free to play and/or esport. But As someone who boast PC master race and all, why brag about games that can be played in phones? Why not talk about where the big budget games are making all the money? Why not be honest and say Consoles are almost 50% biger market over all, and add to that the majority of PC gaming is free to play titles coming from asia? So yea, PC gaming is small compared to consoles.

Consoles includes multiple platforms, even handhelds from multiple manufacturers.

The PC is a single platform... And is still a larger platform than any single console.

So whilst collectively consoles are a larger market than the PC, the PC is still a larger market than any single console... And is still not "Small or insignificant". - Anyone who says that about a $35 Billion market is insane.

And yes, the Asian regions account for a big chunk of that, but that doesn't diminish the PC's market reach, because the Asian markets also account for a sizable chunk of the Playstation 4/Switch sales as well. Just ask Microsoft.

I never said "small or insignificant" I said smaller than consoles. 

$35b is definetly a lot. But like the graphs showed over half of that is free to play and/or e sports titles. If we are talking big budget AAA games each individual console sells more than pc. Maybe not switch. 

Not dissing Asia either (goverment sucks though). Just saying that they are way more inclined into free to play and/e sports. Over half of pc gaming is asia and 80-90% of that is thouse types of games. Just saying devs take that into account. They don't just see that $35B. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Immersiveunreality said:
Azzanation said:

A good game depends on the devs, not the hardware its on.

Did you forget Zelda BOTW was made on the WiiU.

I know that the devs are important but to say cross gen does not hold back the developing is a bit wrongly.

We do not only buy games from those devs that put in the extra effort but also from those with a lesser budget or a worse management so if an easier to develop for console could improve that, then it could be assumed that there will be more time being put into quality at least by some of them.

You can make a good game for the NES but to go a step further you might need better hardware.

No one is saying hardware doesn't hold games back, my entire point is a good game is a good game no matter the hardware, hence why I brought up a WiiU title. Its one of the most ambition games this generation designed on a platform with 1gig of ram. Of course the more hardware the better the results however, bad devs will still make bad games no matter how good the hardware is.
Look at this generation, last gen kill this gen when it comes to quality games and many still prefer to play last gen games because they were just built better while this gen, we have seen many games focus solely on visual quality and lack so much substance.

HollyGamer said:

I am not saying Cross gen games are bad nor it will have bad quality games, i am sure cross gen games (Halo infinite) will be masterpiece . But i am saying exclusive on next gen hardware are far far more important then telling consumer how good the spec or technical prowess of a machine is. Consumer don't understand Teraflop, SSD speed, IO speed, polygon count etc. Hell they don't even understand 120 fps, 60 fps. Probably some exception to resolution (because general consumer has been targeted by TV marketing lately). They just need some games that prove how new hardware are good at compared to old gen. 

Selling next gen consoles is not just about better resolution, and high frame rates (this are mid gen refresh message for Xbox One X and PS4 pro) New generation is more the that. 

You have nothing to worry about because of a few reasons.

1) 3rd party games are still being made on the XSX and will carry the system with possibly the best versions of each game. People are not going to be caring about if a game is designed on next gen hardware when they are playing games like Cyberpunk 2077 enhanced on the XSX.

2) Big first party games are going to come out for the XSX since a lot of the big studios under MS have games planned in completion in another 2 years, we don't even know what the Initiative is making let alone a release date and there game is rumoured to be some type of AAA budget Tomb Raider style game.

3) You don't seem like you game on Xbox so this wouldn't affect you at all.

You know a couple games I cannot wait to play, EverWild and Grounded, made on this gen and I am excited to see more, I don't care if they aren't made with next gen in mind, they look like fun titles either way. And ill probably play them again when the XSX comes out and play an enhanced version of them. I honestly don't see the issue but if you don't like cross gen games than this goes back to my point No: 3. You have nothing to worry about.

sales2099 said:
eva01beserk said:

Then you don't really expect much of a new gen. I expect new experiences and mechanics and new ways to play. Things not possible before. You expect the same as before but with more frames and pixels. Just go pc then.

Your expectations don’t necessarily require cutting edge tech. Just a creative developer who has a great idea.

New IP is a new experience. New mechanics is just how you play the game, purely creative and not dependant on the tech. New ways to play...new twist on existing genres. Sounds great to me....all those can be done on current gen.

Things not possible before: Faster loading times for one, 4K 60 FPS standard. Accurate ray tracing. And there have been examples of games having features in next gen versions with past gen versions missing it due to limitations. 

See, you worry too much :)

A new ip could be a new experience. But it's not a guaranty that they wont just rip off something else. Not that it could not happen with a new gen. And yes you could definitely deliver something new with the old hardware is just a matter of creativity and vision. But your reach can be hampered by hardware. Like I said before, the CPU will be the biggest obstacle with crosgen games. I have seen some tech demos of amd new physics engine that would set a jaguar on fire. I can't really give examples of things that don't exist yet or could even happen. That's kind of the excitement not knowing what could come next. More frames and pixels is not exciting at all. Ray tracing will be coming to consoles at last. But its been available for 2 years so we know what to expect. 

You are right that I worry to much. I really should not put so much faith in this kind of things. But what can I say. I love video games. Even if I don't have that much time to play anymore.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:

$35b is definetly a lot. But like the graphs showed over half of that is free to play and/or e sports titles. If we are talking big budget AAA games each individual console sells more than pc. Maybe not switch. 

Not dissing Asia either (goverment sucks though). Just saying that they are way more inclined into free to play and/e sports. Over half of pc gaming is asia and 80-90% of that is thouse types of games. Just saying devs take that into account. They don't just see that $35B. 

But Pem wasn't putting focus on just AAA games, he was putting focus on the entire side of the PC industry. You were the only one putting focus on just the AAA games market, which as we all know isn't the entirety of the games industry, or the market itself, so his point still stands.

There's nothing wrong with e-sports or F2P titles, but at the same time, AAA games aren't somehow "more important", than the former either. A lot of devs see that money, hence why that market is very profitable, as well as why we see devs constantly making new games on PC first, via consumer supported projects, publisher funded ones, or devs just making games out of their own pocket. Devs absolutely see the money in the PC market, they wouldn't be making games on and for that platform if it wasn't profitable.

I've seen this weird kind of focus before from console players, and I'm honestly not sure if it's an argument born from jealousy, or some kind of thought process, to self validate seeing PC as some inferior platform, be it in sales or exclusives (which they excel at for both anyway, as Pem will likely tell you). I've seen that focus point being used for years, and it gets debunked every time (Pem will be sure of it in this thread, so I'd cut the losses on that thought process while you can, or get prepped for a few days worth of arguing a focus point, that's easily debunkable).

Last edited by Chazore - on 21 April 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

eva01beserk said:
Pemalite said:

Consoles includes multiple platforms, even handhelds from multiple manufacturers.

The PC is a single platform... And is still a larger platform than any single console.

So whilst collectively consoles are a larger market than the PC, the PC is still a larger market than any single console... And is still not "Small or insignificant". - Anyone who says that about a $35 Billion market is insane.

And yes, the Asian regions account for a big chunk of that, but that doesn't diminish the PC's market reach, because the Asian markets also account for a sizable chunk of the Playstation 4/Switch sales as well. Just ask Microsoft.

Correct. You did say "small compared to consoles". - But it's still a big market and consoles aren't multiples larger.

Call of Duty Warzone is free to play... And that is dominating paid AAA titles. (Because maybe it is AAA?)
Just because it's Free to play doesn't mean it isn't AAA. That is highly disingenuous.

No developer looks at the 47.9~ billion dollar console market and says "That is all mine" either. - Especially if they don't release on all major platforms. (Which happens more often than not... Poor Switch.)

Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

But Pem wasn't putting focus on just AAA games, he was putting focus on the entire side of the PC industry. You were the only one putting focus on just the AAA games market, which as we all know isn't the entirety of the games industry, or the market itself, so his point still stands.

There's nothing wrong with e-sports or F2P titles, but at the same time, AAA games aren't somehow "more important", than the former either. A lot of devs see that money, hence why that market is very profitable, as well as why we see devs constantly making new games on PC first, via consumer supported projects, publisher funded ones, or devs just making games out of their own pocket. Devs absolutely see the money in the PC market, they wouldn't be making games on and for that platform if it wasn't profitable.

I've seen this weird kind of focus before from console players, and I'm honestly not sure if it's an argument born from jealousy, or some kind of thought process, to self validate seeing PC as some inferior platform, be it in sales or exclusives (which they excel at for both anyway, as Pem will likely tell you). I've seen that focus point being used for years, and it gets debunked every time (Pem will be sure of it in this thread, so I'd cut the losses on that thought process while you can, or get prepped for a few days worth of arguing a focus point, that's easily debunkable).

Your right . he gave a list of games and I added the question of why being a pc master race person would he champion the smaller games to wich his setup really wont matter much. That's why I included AAA. 

Nothing wrong with e sport titles and f2p. But the issue being discused was games being held back and he brought up games that are relics or are so undemanding that phones play them. Pretty much disproving his point.

Again I never said pc gaming is small. I said there is a clear divede of which games are making most of the money. Thouse games are not the type of games we drool over when it comes to specs and whatever else fans fight each other for. 

Never claimed pc was inferior. I think nobody can deny that its the superior experience if you have the money for it. Which makes that groupd very small. Nothing wrong with it just that it explains why devs don't focus to much on thouse high specs machines. 

I myself don't play f2p or e sports or any multiplayer to be honest. But that is mainly do to time. I only have time for so few games that I only play the best games I can. Also they must have an end in sight. Unlike f2p e sports on multyplayer focused titles that are meant to be replayable for ever. I just dont have time for that. If you wana laugh it took me almost a month to beat god of war. That should tell you a lot.

Pemalite said:
eva01beserk said:

Correct. You did say "small compared to consoles". - But it's still a big market and consoles aren't multiples larger.

Call of Duty Warzone is free to play... And that is dominating paid AAA titles. (Because maybe it is AAA?)
Just because it's Free to play doesn't mean it isn't AAA. That is highly disingenuous.

No developer looks at the 47.9~ billion dollar console market and says "That is all mine" either. - Especially if they don't release on all major platforms. (Which happens more often than not... Poor Switch.)

Call of duty warzone is one of the exceptiins that proves the rule. And you definitely know that.

Never claimed that the $47.9b is all AAA. I honestly dint look at the split for it. Just said at least half of the pcs $35b could be dismissed. I can't even pull numbers acurately because digital is hard to track. But what is being reported almost every time is for multiplatform releases the pc version tends to be behind each individual console. But like I said ..could be wrong as digital sales makes the bulk of pc and its harder to track. But judging at the revenue split I would say the numbers are correct.

And like I said to chazore. It's not that I'm craping of pc. Its just that the numbers explain why devs dont focused to much on high end pcs and gamers feel that its bad ports and what not. Just lower number compared to consoles but yes they are still pretty big numbers and yes still growing. 

eva01beserk said:

Call of duty warzone is one of the exceptiins that proves the rule. And you definitely know that.

There are plenty of other titles that proves the rule. And many that do not.

eva01beserk said:

Never claimed that the $47.9b is all AAA.

Fantastic.

eva01beserk said:

I honestly dint look at the split for it. Just said at least half of the pcs $35b could be dismissed.

And how much of the consoles can be dismissed? What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

eva01beserk said:

I can't even pull numbers acurately because digital is hard to track.

Bingo. Which is why it's only "estimated" numbers because Valve doesn't disclose numbers and they are a big chunk of the AAA PC gaming pie... And unlike other companies such as Activision, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo as well as others... Valve is privately owned, so they don't even have to disclose any numbers to people like investors.

eva01beserk said:

But what is being reported almost every time is for multiplatform releases the pc version tends to be behind each individual console.

No different than Multiplats on Xbox One and Nintendo Switch being behind the Playstation 4.

eva01beserk said:

But like I said ..could be wrong as digital sales makes the bulk of pc and its harder to track. But judging at the revenue split I would say the numbers are correct.

First you say there is no evidence... But then go on to assert that the numbers which are back up by non-existent evidence is accurate? Common.

eva01beserk said:

And like I said to chazore. It's not that I'm craping of pc. Its just that the numbers explain why devs dont focused to much on high end pcs and gamers feel that its bad ports and what not. Just lower number compared to consoles but yes they are still pretty big numbers and yes still growing. 

Like I have listed prior there are plenty of developers and exclusive games that focus on PC and on High-End PC's at that.

We need to remember that the PC has also been the breeding ground for new gameplay mechanics/genre's... Which tend to go gangbusters first on that platform.
PUBG ring a bell? Battle Royale happened on PC.
Minecraft ring a bell? Procedural generated, open-world, survival, crafting game. PC.
Star Citizen? - Giant Universe/Galaxy sized AAA space-sims? Again. PC.

The thing with the consoles is that it's split between Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, the PC owns it's entire market. - That's the difference.