By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Let's discuss the DC Universe Animated Original Movies!

Anyone here a fan? DC movies have had a few rough years, and now Wonder Woman 1984 was delayed as well.

I've just re-watched Batman: Under the Red Hood, probably the movie that got me into this universe in the first place. Voice acting, characters, story and art direction were always on point, and the dialogue was extremely memorable.

I'm probably going to be re-watching a lot of the movies in the next few days. The Dark Knight Returns are among my favorite movies in the series, but I also really enjoyed The Teen Titans & Justice League movies, the Damian Wayne movies, the Superman movies, Flashpoint Paradox, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad, and even Gotham by Gaslight was enjoyable.

For all DC Animated Movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

For the canon DC Animated Movie Universe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe

Last edited by Moren - on 24 April 2020

Around the Network

I'm a fan. DC 's animation in general, both the movies and TV shows, have been blowing Marvel out of the water for 30 years and counting, beginning with Batman: The Animated Series. I have only seen a handful of the the Original Animated Movies, but have enjoyed the 4 or 5 I did see. I was actually planning on going on a buying spree to get a bunch of them before Covid-19 hit, due to watching a smattering of clips on YouTube.

The one that surprised me was Batman/TMNT. If I had only heard about it, my gut reaction would be that it would probably suck, but it looked good!

Aannnnd I'm googling it and finding out that DC started an "animated universe" in 2013. And there are a LOT of animations I've never seen. More than I realized for sure.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 16 April 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

HUGE fan, here!
And if you're into raunchy humor you should check out Harley Quinn on the DC app (or just buy it digitally like I did).

One thing that did disappoint me was the remake of the Death of Superman.

In comics, the actual death was just the appetizer for the real story: The Reign of the Supermen. With the latest version, the death half was handled so well but the "Reign" was pretty terrible. Both halves had different writers for some reason.

COKTOE said:

I'm a fan. DC 's animation in general, both the movies and TV shows, have been blowing Marvel out of the water for 30 years and counting, beginning with Batman: The Animated Series. I have only seen a handful of the the Original Animated Movies, but have enjoyed the 4 or 5 I did see. I was actually planning on going on a buying spree to get a bunch of them before Covid-19 hit, due to watching a smattering of clips on YouTube.

The one that surprised me was Batman/TMNT. If I had only heard about it, my gut reaction would be that it would probably suck, but it looked good!

Aannnnd I'm googling it and finding out that DC started an "animated universe" in 2013. And there are a LOT of animations I've never seen. More than I realized for sure.

Yes. The "Animated Universe" started in the Flashpoint Paradox, and contains the Teen Titans and Damian Wayne. It's a little weird to me, because I'm pretty certain Under the Red Hood should also fit within that canon (even if, it doesn't contain major connections).

trasharmdsister12 said:

Major fan here. Flashpoint Paradox is probably my favourite but I haven't been disappointed with any of the ones I've watched (Dark Knight Returns, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad, the Damian Wayne trilogy, others I'm forgetting off the top of my head). I'd love a separate series of the alternate Batman from Flashpoint.

I highly recommend Young Justice if you haven't seen it. It's one of the best animated series ever IMO.

I've always been delaying Young Justice, but I definitely want to!

d21lewis said:

In comics, the actual death was just the appetizer for the real story: The Reign of the Supermen. With the latest version, the death half was handled so well but the "Reign" was pretty terrible. Both halves had different writers for some reason.

Hmh. I thought the movie was okay, I didn't know it had different writers.

Around the Network
Moren said:
COKTOE said:

Yes. The "Animated Universe" started in the Flashpoint Paradox, and contains the Teen Titans and Damian Wayne. It's a little weird to me, because I'm pretty certain Under the Red Hood should also fit within that canon (even if, it doesn't contain major connections).

trasharmdsister12 said:

Major fan here. Flashpoint Paradox is probably my favourite but I haven't been disappointed with any of the ones I've watched (Dark Knight Returns, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad, the Damian Wayne trilogy, others I'm forgetting off the top of my head). I'd love a separate series of the alternate Batman from Flashpoint.

I highly recommend Young Justice if you haven't seen it. It's one of the best animated series ever IMO.

d21lewis said:

Guess it depends on what you're looking for. In the original story, half the excitement was trying to guess which of the Supermen was the real Superman. Everyone got their moment to shine and made you think "Maybe he's the one..." Everyone was supposed to have an aspect.

Cyborg Superman had the power, Eradicator had the appearance, Steel had the heart, and Superboy had the coolness. When Cyborg "turned heel" and destroyed an entire city, it was a huge shock. And the real Superman was supposed to return with no powers and still save the day proving that he was more than his powers. I don't think any of this was conveyed in the animated version of Reign.

d21lewis said:
Moren said:

Guess it depends on what you're looking for. In the original story, half the excitement was trying to guess which of the Supermen was the real Superman. Everyone got their moment to shine and made you think "Maybe he's the one..." Everyone was supposed to have an aspect.

Cyborg Superman had the power, Eradicator had the appearance, Steel had the heart, and Superboy had the coolness. When Cyborg "turned heel" and destroyed an entire city, it was a huge shock. And the real Superman was supposed to return with no powers and still save the day proving that he was more than his powers. I don't think any of this was conveyed in the animated version of Reign.

I just re-watched them, and I see where you're coming from.

On my first view, I absolutely loved how Conner Kent was depicted, and I was definitely misled by Cyborg Superman. But I definitely wish these characters had had much more screen time! The fact the end casts them aside and Conner just gets a photo is disappointing.

I love how the DC Animated Universe gave us two really good Suicide Squad movies: Hell to Pay and Assault on Arkham.

Got done watching all the animated series not long ago (JL+JLU being my favs). Recently started a trek through the movies, most of which I've never seen. Going at these more randomly than I intended, just whenever and whichever I'm in the mood for. Tonight I was just about to try out Justice League Dark before stumbling upon this thread, lol.

Marvel's mostly got their cinematic universe on lock, but can't touch DC's animated stuff.

TallSilhouette said:

Got done watching all the animated series not long ago (JL+JLU being my favs). Recently started a trek through the movies, most of which I've never seen. Going at these more randomly than I intended, just whenever and whichever I'm in the mood for. Tonight I was just about to try out Justice League Dark before stumbling upon this thread, lol.

Marvel's mostly got their cinematic universe on lock, but can't touch DC's animated stuff.

There's actually a little continuity in a chunk of the post Flashpoint stuff. Each movie still stands on its own, though.