By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Let's discuss the DC Universe Animated Original Movies!

Underappreciated gem for me: Superman vs the Elite.

Art style sucks but the story was great

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:

Major fan here. Flashpoint Paradox is probably my favourite but I haven't been disappointed with any of the ones I've watched (Dark Knight Returns, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad, the Damian Wayne trilogy, others I'm forgetting off the top of my head). I'd love a separate series of the alternate Batman from Flashpoint.

I highly recommend Young Justice if you haven't seen it. It's one of the best animated series ever IMO.

I love Young Justice, but I was mixed about how they had to reboot with season 3 and basically just turn it into B-Grade X-Men.

Damian Wayne quickly became my favourite character of that 'DC Animated Movie Universe', and I've been hoping they'd make more Teen Titans, especially 'cause The Judas Contract was pretty underwhelming.
I did buy Batman: Hush recently but I'm not sure if Damian Wayne features in it. I still have to watch Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, and still have to buy The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen if I want to watch them all in order.

Just in case anyone needs a guide to the continuities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies#Continuities

Shaunodon said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Major fan here. Flashpoint Paradox is probably my favourite but I haven't been disappointed with any of the ones I've watched (Dark Knight Returns, Justice League Dark, Suicide Squad, the Damian Wayne trilogy, others I'm forgetting off the top of my head). I'd love a separate series of the alternate Batman from Flashpoint.

I highly recommend Young Justice if you haven't seen it. It's one of the best animated series ever IMO.

I love Young Justice, but I was mixed about how they had to reboot with season 3 and basically just turn it into B-Grade X-Men.

Damian Wayne quickly became my favourite character of that 'DC Animated Movie Universe', and I've been hoping they'd make more Teen Titans, especially 'cause The Judas Contract was pretty underwhelming.
I did buy Batman: Hush recently but I'm not sure if Damian Wayne features in it. I still have to watch Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, and still have to buy The Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen if I want to watch them all in order.

Just in case anyone needs a guide to the continuities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies#Continuities

I think Damian Wayne might be my favorite as well. I have heard he is divisive, but I appreciate his character growth, his passion and his uncomfortable relationship with Batman. He's a flawed character because he's meant to be one. Court of Owls (Batman vs Robin) was just fantastic.

We haven't had a movie with Damian Wayne for a while. I think he'll make an appearance on the next JL movie, but there's still a lot they can do with him and Batman in a standalone film.

Last edited by Moren - on 24 April 2020

I saw Superman: Red son some weeks ago. It liked it a lot.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I actually tried to ol pirate Hush. After about half an hour, it was so good I paid the $20 it cost to own it digitally.

... Then, it all went downhill.

DCAU films are mostly good but they make some questionable changes to the source material sometimes. Sometimes for the better (Red Hood) sometimes, for the absolute worst.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Underappreciated gem for me: Superman vs the Elite.

Art style sucks but the story was great

Yea, the art style wasn't exactly ideal, but the tone and message were spot on.

The movie basically showcased the essence of Superman, a hero who will not compromise his ideals of believing in the greater good within everyone and not falling into the temptation of lawless violence. It shows why heroes aspire to be someone like him. Even as an alien growing up a humble farm in Kansas, he understands that his powers are opportunities for him to protect others rather than be something to cause fear.

d21lewis said:
I actually tried to ol pirate Hush. After about half an hour, it was so good I paid the $20 it cost to own it digitally.

DCAU films are mostly good but they make some questionable changes to the source material sometimes. Sometimes for the better (Red Hood) sometimes, for the absolute worst.

Yeah the final arc was underwhelming, and a bit anticlimactic, but I thought it was a pretty fun watch.

I think that one instance where changing the source material was effective was in Gotham by Gaslight.

Moren said:
d21lewis said:

Yeah the final arc was underwhelming, and a bit anticlimactic, but I thought it was a pretty fun watch.

I think that one instance where changing the source material was effective was in Gotham by Gaslight.

I never read the original. Maybe that plays a huge role in whether or not I enjoy an adaptation. Could be that, most of the time, I'm just a fan of whichever version I see first. 🤔 But now I'm tempted to buy the print version. It's been critically acclaimed for decades.

NightlyPoe said:
For several years I've been advocating that the DC feature movies should be more like the animated ones. Make continuity completely optional between films and just mine all the classic stories you can find. Run different versions of the characters with different tones, art styles, and world building depending on the needs of the story. Above all, just focus on making each movie as good as it can be instead of worrying about connecting it to a dozen different characters that are being forced into the same style as your main characters. If that means having two different actors playing Batman at the same time, cool. They've been branching out a bit more in that direction (Joker most notably), but they've still got a ways to go before they just focus on making one good movie at a time.

I mean, I liked Man of Steel. It wasn't perfect, but I'm glad I saw that version of the character. But DC cinema never had a chance when they decided to structure the entire world around it.

I feel like there's been some level of continuity (at least, in this set of movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe), while most are standalone stories, a few of the side characters show growth and the timeline remains consistent. 

Today I re-watched Superman vs The Elite (thanks to the posts here that made me want to watch it ) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1).

The Dark Knight Returns is an interesting one. While a lot of the most memorable moments come from the second part, the first is a really strong entry on its own. Seeing this future Gotham divided regarding Batman and his impact to society, in a lot of moments told by newscasts and how the people react, is very engaging. There's also a very powerful moment with Harvey Dent, even if he's not the focus of this film.

Kai_Mao essentially explained why SvsTE worked so well, I also want to add Manchester Black's voice acting was phenomenal.

Last edited by Moren - on 25 April 2020