Forums - Movies Discussion - Let's discuss the DC Universe Animated Original Movies!

For several years I've been advocating that the DC feature movies should be more like the animated ones. Make continuity completely optional between films and just mine all the classic stories you can find. Run different versions of the characters with different tones, art styles, and world building depending on the needs of the story. Above all, just focus on making each movie as good as it can be instead of worrying about connecting it to a dozen different characters that are being forced into the same style as your main characters. If that means having two different actors playing Batman at the same time, cool. They've been branching out a bit more in that direction (Joker most notably), but they've still got a ways to go before they just focus on making one good movie at a time.

I mean, I liked Man of Steel. It wasn't perfect, but I'm glad I saw that version of the character. But DC cinema never had a chance when they decided to structure the entire world around it.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
For several years I've been advocating that the DC feature movies should be more like the animated ones. Make continuity completely optional between films and just mine all the classic stories you can find. Run different versions of the characters with different tones, art styles, and world building depending on the needs of the story. Above all, just focus on making each movie as good as it can be instead of worrying about connecting it to a dozen different characters that are being forced into the same style as your main characters. If that means having two different actors playing Batman at the same time, cool. They've been branching out a bit more in that direction (Joker most notably), but they've still got a ways to go before they just focus on making one good movie at a time.

I mean, I liked Man of Steel. It wasn't perfect, but I'm glad I saw that version of the character. But DC cinema never had a chance when they decided to structure the entire world around it.

I feel like there's been some level of continuity (at least, in this set of movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe), while most are standalone stories, a few of the side characters show growth and the timeline remains consistent. 

Today I re-watched Superman vs The Elite (thanks to the posts here that made me want to watch it ) and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Part 1).

The Dark Knight Returns is an interesting one. While a lot of the most memorable moments come from the second part, the first is a really strong entry on its own. Seeing this future Gotham divided regarding Batman and his impact to society, in a lot of moments told by newscasts and how the people react, is very engaging. There's also a very powerful moment with Harvey Dent, even if he's not the focus of this film.

Kai_Mao essentially explained why SvsTE worked so well, I also want to add Manchester Black's voice acting was phenomenal.

Last edited by Moren - on 25 April 2020

Moren said:
NightlyPoe said:

I feel like there's been some level of continuity (at least, in this set of movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Movie_Universe), while most are standalone stories, a few of the side characters show growth and the timeline remains consistent. 

Huh, they really cranked out of lot of those in the past couple of years, haven't they?  I might be remembering the good ol' days a bit.

Maybe I'll amend what I said to preferring the way the DC animated guys used to do it.  The Wonder Woman, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman/Superman: Apocalypse, Superman vs. The Elite era is the one that most pops with me.

Not much in the way of connective tissue, but it doesn't matter.  DC characters are the icons of the industry.  The archetypes are so well established that it's all short-hand anyway.

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 25 April 2020

I know the Killing Joke's movie adaptation received a lot of criticism for its eyebrow-raising first act, but this is a moment that hits hard (Spoilers):
https://youtu.be/tRSE0cOcwN0

Around the Network
Moren said:
I know the Killing Joke's movie adaptation received a lot of criticism for its eyebrow-raising first act, but this is a moment that hits hard (Spoilers):

It's a bit of a shame.  The Killing Joke is an amazing story, but it's just not movie length.  They decided to fix that by adding a new story to the beginning, but everything just clashes.  I mean, they could have tried to replicate Alan Moore, but they would have failed.  I would have suggested a double feature with a completely separate one-shot.

I actually didn't have a problem with Barbara sleeping with Batman.  I mean, Bruce and Barbara were in a canon romantic relationship in the Timmverse going back to the 90s.

NightlyPoe said:
Moren said:

It's a bit of a shame.  The Killing Joke is an amazing story, but it's just not movie length.  They decided to fix that by adding a new story to the beginning, but everything just clashes.  I mean, they could have tried to replicate Alan Moore, but they would have failed.  I would have suggested a double feature with a completely separate one-shot.

I actually didn't have a problem with Barbara sleeping with Batman.  I mean, Bruce and Barbara were in a canon romantic relationship in the Timmverse going back to the 90s.

I actually didn't mind the extended Batgirl story. It gave us a chance to see her in action and cheer for her before her tragic fate. Fell flat for a lot of people but it didn't bother me.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

d21lewis said:
NightlyPoe said:

I actually didn't mind the extended Batgirl story. It gave us a chance to see her in action and cheer for her before her tragic fate. Fell flat for a lot of people but it didn't bother me.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly memorable.

I'd say that one big advantage these stories have over live-action is that characters feel established in a sense. We've seen Batgirl in some animated form in the past, that even if the one in this movie isn't so convincing, it's easy to associate the character to the one we know and love from the large catalog of Batman animated media.

Moren said:
d21lewis said:

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly memorable.

I'd say that one big advantage these stories have over live-action is that characters feel established in a sense. We've seen Batgirl in some animated form in the past, that even if the one in this movie isn't so convincing, it's easy to associate the character to the one we know and love from the large catalog of Batman animated media.

It wouldn't have been terrible if it had just been on its own story about Batgirl.  I mean, it still wouldn't have been good, but it wouldn't have been objectionable enough for anyone to care.

It was that it got paired with The Killing Joke that got under so many people's skin.  People were legit hyped for that movie.  Mark Hamill himself lobbied for it as a project he would voice the Joker role for after retiring (a few times) from the role.  And then, half a decade later, it releases as the first theatrical debut for a DC animated film since Mask of the Phantasm if I'm not mistaken, and... half of the movie is a meh story about Batgirl that didn't even try that hard before a drastic shift in tone and quality to what everyone came to see.

I know what they were trying to do.  It just didn't work.

I've had Superman Red Son downloaded for weeks now, if not longer. Probably gonna watch it today. Anyone watch it already? Does it hold up? Haven't read the story in forever.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures