By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Let's discuss the DC Universe Animated Original Movies!

I know the Killing Joke's movie adaptation received a lot of criticism for its eyebrow-raising first act, but this is a moment that hits hard (Spoilers):
https://youtu.be/tRSE0cOcwN0

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Moren said:
I know the Killing Joke's movie adaptation received a lot of criticism for its eyebrow-raising first act, but this is a moment that hits hard (Spoilers):
https://youtu.be/tRSE0cOcwN0

It's a bit of a shame.  The Killing Joke is an amazing story, but it's just not movie length.  They decided to fix that by adding a new story to the beginning, but everything just clashes.  I mean, they could have tried to replicate Alan Moore, but they would have failed.  I would have suggested a double feature with a completely separate one-shot.

I actually didn't have a problem with Barbara sleeping with Batman.  I mean, Bruce and Barbara were in a canon romantic relationship in the Timmverse going back to the 90s.

I actually didn't mind the extended Batgirl story. It gave us a chance to see her in action and cheer for her before her tragic fate. Fell flat for a lot of people but it didn't bother me.

d21lewis said:
NightlyPoe said:

It's a bit of a shame.  The Killing Joke is an amazing story, but it's just not movie length.  They decided to fix that by adding a new story to the beginning, but everything just clashes.  I mean, they could have tried to replicate Alan Moore, but they would have failed.  I would have suggested a double feature with a completely separate one-shot.

I actually didn't have a problem with Barbara sleeping with Batman.  I mean, Bruce and Barbara were in a canon romantic relationship in the Timmverse going back to the 90s.

I actually didn't mind the extended Batgirl story. It gave us a chance to see her in action and cheer for her before her tragic fate. Fell flat for a lot of people but it didn't bother me.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't particularly memorable.

I'd say that one big advantage these stories have over live-action is that characters feel established in a sense. We've seen Batgirl in some animated form in the past, that even if the one in this movie isn't so convincing, it's easy to associate the character to the one we know and love from the large catalog of Batman animated media.

I've had Superman Red Son downloaded for weeks now, if not longer. Probably gonna watch it today. Anyone watch it already? Does it hold up? Haven't read the story in forever.

d21lewis said:
I've had Superman Red Son downloaded for weeks now, if not longer. Probably gonna watch it today. Anyone watch it already? Does it hold up? Haven't read the story in forever.

I liked the movie, but it does have some meaningful changes from the comic. Also, the music is pretty good.

Let us know what you think!

Around the Network

FYI - The new Justice League is out today.

Okay, MAJOR spoilers for Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. Don't click if you haven't watched the movie. It's absolutely worth watching though.

Spoiler!

So is this the end of the entire DC Animated Movie Universe? I had no idea, I'm kind of bummed.

The movie was great though. They closed an arc that had been there for years, and were able to take bold moves. That said, I had just been talking about how I enjoy a lot of characters and they're all gone now.

I wonder what the plan will be from now on. Standalone movies? Or a brand new continued universe? Will this universe ever be mentioned again?

Last edited by Moren - on 05 May 2020

Me watching Justice League Dark Apokolips War: 😳