By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Better controller wanted!

the 360 controller works for fps games perfectly, but suffers bad on other types. the ps pad is a jack of all trades, master of none type of controller to me. it works with all types of games, but it's not perfect for them.

Around the Network

I must agree that the d-pad is awful and this is coming from a 360 controller fan!

I've also owned Tetris on Gameboy, Super Nes, Nintendo Ds, PS1, and I have Tetris Evolution on the 360. The 360 is the only version on which I miss my mark, on occasion.

MontanaHatchet said:
smbu2000 said:
d21lewis said:
I was never really a "joystick guy". When it comes to fighting games, I NEED a D-Pad! Unfourtunately, this is the only design flaw I have with Microsoft's default 360 controller. The d-pad is VERY imprecise. After dominating the 90's with Nintendo and Sony's awesome controllers, I find it nearly impossible to consistently execute my special moves in Street Fighter 2 Turbo on Xbox Live Arcade. As a result, the Japanese laugh at the mention of my Gamertag! Does anyone know of a high quality 3rd Party controller for the Xbox 360? If I'm going to humiliate Elgefe02 in Soul Calibur IV and Street Fighter 4, there can be no room for error.

I think there is something wrong here, Sony controller d-pads being awesome??? The d-pad has always sucked bad for the Sony PS1/PS2 controllers(I've never used the PS3 one, so I'm not sure about that one). The damn plastic in the middle and only the little four points sticking out, sheesh.

The Sega Saturn controller (JP ver./2nd USA ver.) was always the best one for me for fighting games. The PS1/PS2 controller pales in comparison. The nintendo controllers were also much better than the Sony controllers, but the Sega Saturn still ruled them all (for fighting games that is).

Anyway, you'd probably be better off finding a 3rd party controller, or even better a joystick controller that is compatible with the 360. Then you could use it for all the fighting games you might purchase. :)

I know, it's like you have 4 buttons and you press them. That is so mediocre and hard to use!

Well let's just say that whenever I bought a fighting game during the Saturn/PS1 era, I would always buy it for my Saturn(or import it), because I hated playing fighting games on my PS1 as the controller sucked balls. I've never liked the d-pad on my PS2 controllers either (the analog is fine though:) )

PS controllers = craptastic d-pad. I've never really used the d-pad on my 360 controllers, but I've heard bad things about them too.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-26p2.html

(haven't tried it myself but looks good) 

Around the Network

I haven't tried the X360 d-pad but I really like the Classic Controller d-pad, is so much bigger than the all the others.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

I think the good 'ole Dualshock 2 is really good for most games, the only gamepad I like more is the N64 one.

Ah. Someone already mentioned the Hori stick.

It's one of the best if your into fighting games.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I'm not a big joystick fan, but that Hori stick does have some really high marks with the gaming crowd. $79 is a lot for something I "might" like, though.

As much as I want SC IV and SF 4 for the 360, I'm likely to go with the PS3 versions. SF 4 on the PS3 at the very least. :(

d21lewis said:
I was never really a "joystick guy". When it comes to fighting games, I NEED a D-Pad! Unfourtunately, this is the only design flaw I have with Microsoft's default 360 controller. The d-pad is VERY imprecise. After dominating the 90's with Nintendo and Sony's awesome controllers, I find it nearly impossible to consistently execute my special moves in Street Fighter 2 Turbo on Xbox Live Arcade. As a result, the Japanese laugh at the mention of my Gamertag! Does anyone know of a high quality 3rd Party controller for the Xbox 360? If I'm going to humiliate Elgefe02 in Soul Calibur IV and Street Fighter 4, there can be no room for error.

Here is what I did to solve this problem...

I bought the PS2 to xbox 360 converter called XFPS Pro... http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_360_PRO.htm

And then I bought the Saturn pad made for PS2 by sega off ebay. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-imb.html

It cost me 200 bucks for everything but man...its the best 200 bucks ever spent as saturn pad is god.