By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Better controller wanted!

I was never really a "joystick guy". When it comes to fighting games, I NEED a D-Pad! Unfourtunately, this is the only design flaw I have with Microsoft's default 360 controller. The d-pad is VERY imprecise. After dominating the 90's with Nintendo and Sony's awesome controllers, I find it nearly impossible to consistently execute my special moves in Street Fighter 2 Turbo on Xbox Live Arcade. As a result, the Japanese laugh at the mention of my Gamertag! Does anyone know of a high quality 3rd Party controller for the Xbox 360? If I'm going to humiliate Elgefe02 in Soul Calibur IV and Street Fighter 4, there can be no room for error.

Around the Network

i heard sony and nintendo actually patented the d-pad design. only hear'say though.

Hmmm. The 360 is the best controller I've used to date on average for most genres. But I agree with you the D-pad needs stiffining up. However I become really good with analog on VF5 so it not really a problem for me anymore.

It's not that bad

I think Nintendo patented their specific D-pad design (and the d-pad name I think) and Sony probably patented theirs too (I find you need to press too hard on the PS controllers though, but it is better than the majority)

Around the Network

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to modify the d-pad.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste. I play still play Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on my Ps2, and Super Street Fighter on the Wii Virtual Console, with zero problems. Turbo on Xbla is nigh impossible for me. I end up jumping when I don't want to, and executing my special moves 80% of the time. This simply will not suffice.

d21lewis said:
I was never really a "joystick guy". When it comes to fighting games, I NEED a D-Pad! Unfourtunately, this is the only design flaw I have with Microsoft's default 360 controller. The d-pad is VERY imprecise. After dominating the 90's with Nintendo and Sony's awesome controllers, I find it nearly impossible to consistently execute my special moves in Street Fighter 2 Turbo on Xbox Live Arcade. As a result, the Japanese laugh at the mention of my Gamertag! Does anyone know of a high quality 3rd Party controller for the Xbox 360? If I'm going to humiliate Elgefe02 in Soul Calibur IV and Street Fighter 4, there can be no room for error.

I think there is something wrong here, Sony controller d-pads being awesome??? The d-pad has always sucked bad for the Sony PS1/PS2 controllers(I've never used the PS3 one, so I'm not sure about that one). The damn plastic in the middle and only the little four points sticking out, sheesh.

The Sega Saturn controller (JP ver./2nd USA ver.) was always the best one for me for fighting games. The PS1/PS2 controller pales in comparison. The nintendo controllers were also much better than the Sony controllers, but the Sega Saturn still ruled them all (for fighting games that is).

Anyway, you'd probably be better off finding a 3rd party controller, or even better a joystick controller that is compatible with the 360. Then you could use it for all the fighting games you might purchase. :)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Fighter games are way too loose to play with the D-Pad anyways.

Of course, pulling off combos with the analog sticks, gee, you might as well just come over and bust my balls right there, ya know?

smbu2000 said:
d21lewis said:

I think there is something wrong here, Sony controller d-pads being awesome??? The d-pad has always sucked bad for the Sony PS1/PS2 controllers(I've never used the PS3 one, so I'm not sure about that one). The damn plastic in the middle and only the little four points sticking out, sheesh.

The Sega Saturn controller (JP ver./2nd USA ver.) was always the best one for me for fighting games. The PS1/PS2 controller pales in comparison. The nintendo controllers were also much better than the Sony controllers, but the Sega Saturn still ruled them all (for fighting games that is).

Anyway, you'd probably be better off finding a 3rd party controller, or even better a joystick controller that is compatible with the 360. Then you could use it for all the fighting games you might purchase. :)

I know, it's like you have 4 buttons and you press them. That is so mediocre and hard to use!