By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

sales2099 said:

Basically FF7 fans are where I stand when Halo Reach the game retconned Halo Fall of Reach novel, which is the most beloved novel in the extended universe. To this day I consider Halo Reach to be fan fiction and recognize it as a great video game, nothing more.

Then you have to argue with fans who only play the video games and take it as gospel, leading to a complete fracture between lore and game fans. I don’t envy the arguments that will take place regarding which FF7 is the definitive story. Good luck on that. 

To the fans who feel outraged by the changes, you have every right to complain as they took something you held dear and made it different (in many cases worse) for no reason.

To those downplaying these concerns, you simply can’t relate and or aren’t half as invested in the IP as the one voicing their critiques. This is not an insult, this is just acknowledging the gap of perspective.

This. I always consider Canon what came first. In this instance if you lived through the mid 90s and were of a certain age (I was 12-13) Final Fantasy VII was a genre defining, monumental achievement in the industry. The game was released during the golden era of the JRPG genre too. Just based on that, most us of didn't expect  the FFVIIR to be as influential and monumental a piece, and it isn't. However, I am very disappointed at how the story was handled here, as it pretty much makes the original work irrelevant at least as far the Remake is concerned.

I suspected this could be the case, as Crisis Core introduced elements (Like Genesis) that made no sense in the context of the original work. With Nomura's (the director this time around) notoriously bad storytelling prowess my fears were justified. What boggles the mind, is that perhaps a deeper retelling of the original story was all that was needed, and Nomura decided to pull "Some KH bulls*t" with a story that is still remembered by most of the original fans as the pinnacle of what that genre had to offer. It was a story held sacred by fans, and to me it took the wind out of the sails in terms of my desire to play the game.

Perhaps I should treat it as a work of fan fiction, perhaps that way I might be able to overlook Nomura's lunacy, and enjoy some of what is there. But, I don't feel like rewarding Square with 59.99 of my hard earned cash (especially during times of Pandemic crisis) for ruining one of the greatest JRPG stories of all time. This is far fetched, but I wonder if Nomura has something against the series, had he been left to his own devices he would have ruined FFXV too, it makes me wonder.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Look those comments in this thread.
Probably people who do not like Final Fantasy or JRPGs.
Game media is not at all different from these people.

Fave genre and played hundreds if not more. FFVII,IX and VI are in my tops.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Whoa-oh hold your horses there. I'm not "tricked" more like pleasantly surprised. Seems like the majority who "signed for" is in agreement that the changes are fine. The likes and reviews can attest to that.

By the way reimagining is closer to remake. It shares attributes with both remake and reboot. Reboot is a brand new game.

I've read about 20ish international reviews of the game ranging from 90 to 60 on Metacritic (I'm ignoring the 100 reviews because they don't have anything bad to say about the game... and it clearly has. Even outside of the story department). As for the topic we are discussing, the feeling is quite diverse. A few recognize the issue, but are curious to see how things play out in the end. Some recognize the issue and don't know how to feel about the changes. Some are directly bothered by the direction the story took in the end. And the vast majority play safe and instead of taking a position for good or bad, warn their readers about how this may like some and absolutely disgust others. As for the players... well, this is a hot topic in lots of sites. Many people are concearned.

In the end, while there are a lot of people that definetely like the changes, there are also a lot of people who don't like the changes or at the very least admit that there is an issue that might bother people. Why? Because as I said, Square Enix tricked people into buying something that wasn't what they promised. People expected to revisit FF VII story. They won't. Some might not be bothered  by this. But some obviosuly will. It is what it is, however you might feel personally.

And no. This game does not reimagine the story of FF VII. This game acknowledges said story and literally restarts it at certain point to tell a different one. It's literally restarting (rebooting) the story. There is no way around it.

But as I said, it doesn't matter the word you pick. Reimagine or reboot, either way is not a remake.

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Kyuu said:
A tad lower score than I expected. The visual inconsistencies will damage immersion for me, and the side quests are apparently as bad as I thought they'd be. And from the spoilers I accidentally saw, I'm getting the feeling that a certain character may end up NOT dying in later episodes which would be a freaking disaster. I'd only accept changes like this if time travel/dimensions is a significant and established element of a fictional universe, which it isn't in FF7 as far as I know/remember.

That apart, this is looking like a great game, and a soild base to build the hopefully-more-open and better-polished sequel upon.

I hope that you did not indirectly spoil anything. 

I am going into it as an alternate reality to the original canon game. It is its own game, that tells a similar story based on the original events from the first game, that unfold differently. It is not a remake nor a reboot, but a completely different game altogether that pays homage to the source material (albiet incorrectly labled).

This will make some people upset, some will be in denial, and some will embrace what it is and look forward to where the new story might take them. I for one am looking forward to seeing where this new adventure based on a game I loved growing up will take me.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

I've read about 20ish international reviews of the game ranging from 90 to 60 on Metacritic (I'm ignoring the 100 reviews because they don't have anything bad to say about the game... and it clearly has. Even outside of the story department). As for the topic we are discussing, the feeling is quite diverse. A few recognize the issue, but are curious to see how things play out in the end. Some recognize the issue and don't know how to feel about the changes. Some are directly bothered by the direction the story took in the end. And the vast majority play safe and instead of taking a position for good or bad, warn their readers about how this may like some and absolutely disgust others. As for the players... well, this is a hot topic in lots of sites. Many people are concearned.

In the end, while there are a lot of people that definetely like the changes, there are also a lot of people who don't like the changes or at the very least admit that there is an issue that might bother people. Why? Because as I said, Square Enix tricked people into buying something that wasn't what they promised. People expected to revisit FF VII story. They won't. Some might not be bothered  by this. But some obviosuly will. It is what it is, however you might feel personally.

And no. This game does not reimagine the story of FF VII. This game acknowledges said story and literally restarts it at certain point to tell a different one. It's literally restarting (rebooting) the story. There is no way around it.

But as I said, it doesn't matter the word you pick. Reimagine or reboot, either way is not a remake.

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

I've been generally avoiding spoilers, but I'm personally SUPER excited to see what changes are made and how the story and characters are altered. I still have the original FFVII in all its glory, that continuity is never going away. to me, this is an AU version of the same story but with a different plot (as in, same themes, same characters, same world, different series of events). That's what I expected, that's what I wanted from day one, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. 

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

All I wanted was to play the same story of the original game but expanded to be better, with modern gameplay and graphics of course. I don't want any alternative timeline or dementors bullshit. It's okay to expand the story while keeping it faithful to the original one, but adding this is so unecessary, and if what I read is true, the next parts won't necessarily need to follow the story of the original... Bah. Good for those who like this "remake", but this is clearly not a product for me.

Runa216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

Well,yeah since they marketed it as a REMAKE and not a reboot. They lied to people about what it is. Even Carefully giving out a demo that feels like the original game modernized.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Runa216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I've been generally avoiding spoilers, but I'm personally SUPER excited to see what changes are made and how the story and characters are altered. I still have the original FFVII in all its glory, that continuity is never going away. to me, this is an AU version of the same story but with a different plot (as in, same themes, same characters, same world, different series of events). That's what I expected, that's what I wanted from day one, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. 

Yes.  Yes there are.  That's why people wanted to buy a remake, because that's generally what remakes are.

There are also people like you who would like a different story, and good for them.  And if that's what Square wanted to make, good for them too.  But they should have been clear on that from the start. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Metallox said:

I'm not sure what programming as a whole, or a basic programming class for that matter, says about not being able to adapt an overambitious 1997 game to the modern tastes and preferences. 

To be fair, you have to have a very good grasp of quantum physics to understand Final Fantasy 7, let alone the remake. 

No worries there. The remake of the remake is going to make everyone happy and will be the ultimate key to understand all reality. To make this happen, Square Enix took controversial but necessary steps with this first remake. At least that gives me comfort. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.