By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Sony looking to acquire Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Silent Hill IP's from Konami, Kojima involvement planned

TruckOSaurus said:
That would be good news if it were to happen. Although, I'd prefer a SOTN style Castlevania game to a LoS style one.

I think the "Lords of Shadow" part was just a reference in the sense that it would be 3D, but going by that game success vs the Souls game, guess it will be more Souls-like.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Nintendo should buy the Jak & Daxter IP from Sony since they are not doing anything with it. Then Sony should buy F-Zero from Nintendo since they are not doing anything with it. Then MS should buy Ghosts`n Goblins from Capcom since they are not doing anything with it. Then Capcom should buy Rayman from Ubisoft and trade it with Square-Enix for Actraiser.

Replicant said:
Azzanation said:

I wish a 3rd party buys out Dead Space from EA but i wouldnt want Sony, Xbox or Nintendo to do it because they will surely lock it away from others to play.

I agree of course that it'd be better if a 3rd party publisher revived these games and made them multiplatform.

With that said, I'm not sure why you'd rather not ever see e.g. a new Dead Space game than to have Microsoft or Sony bring it to XB/PC or PS/PC, respectively. That doesn't make much sense to me other than fear of getting the short stick in a made up console war.

I don't play Komani games, I was never a fan of the titles to begin with, though its the principle of the idea of companies buying IPs only to lock others out from playing them which is bad customer business, unless you own the said platform. My point is if Sony do this, this will spark a buy out war and will start seeing Google, MS and maybe even Nintendo start buying IPs from devs that are too busy to make newer games for the IPs and start seeing games being thrown all over the place. This means gamers are going to need to buy every platform to play there favourite games and that's a lot of money spent especially if next gen is more expensive.

As long as the games make it to PC at least that creates a middle ground for those already invested but knowing Sony and Nintendo, they don't like sharing.

While I do not care about the Cattlevania and Silent Hill, Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchise out there.
Bought a Play Station Three only for that game and will buy a Play Station Five only for it if the next one is exclusive (Next Horizon Zero Dawn is probably already going to make me buy one anyway )

While it always suck when something become exclusive for other gamers, for Sony itself, this would be great I think.

Sony wouldn’t be my first choice to manage these properties, but then Konami would pretty much be my last choice to manage them—so I guess I’m onboard.

Still seems unlikely though.

Around the Network

Should change from report to rumor, and one with dozen pinch of salt.

About they becoming exclusives, much better than not being done or being shitty.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not a chance in hell. I also would heavily disprove of this.

I love how MS buying several studios was no issue and didn't cause a buying spree for other platform holders, but any and all purchase rumor for Sony is met with the implosion of console gaming.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Relax guys, it not official yet. Also it might be just an exclusives deal or a full project made it only for Sony and can be later ported to PC like Horizon Zero Dawn. Sony seem trying to reach PC it self, thus they will pay a lot exclusivity on PS console first with 4 to 5 year for this and then later on selling it on PC.

Azzanation said:
Signalstar said:

Say you have a car and a TV I would like to buy from you? Why the fuck should I buy your whole house just to get them when those are the only two things I care about?

Because by buying Castlevania, MGS and Silent Hills, you are basically clearing them out. Why would people want to support anti-consumer decisions like these? 

This will breed other companies to do the same. Let's say if Google Stadia brought these IPs instead of Sony and they promised to make them big AAA budget titles, would you be happy about it?

How is this 'anti-consumer' in the least? It's good business sense. If you want people to come to your platform, you offer them experiences they can't get anywhere else. Companies are not charities, they aren't going to make money simply by wishing for it and hoping their 'customers' feel generous. People buy Nintendo products becuase Nintendo consoles are usually unique and interesting and gimmicky while also having easily the best lineup of exclusive games. People buy sony becuase they also have a wide variety of well-loved exclusives as well as power that can compete with Xbox. Nobody has been buying Xboxes becuase they have no exclusives and the few 'exclusives' they do have can be purchased on PC. 

This isn't 'anti-consumer', it's Business 101. This outrage by folks like you bitching about exclusivity makes me laugh becuase you are either delusional, entitled, or blind. Either way, your opinion can't really be respected if you're that distanced from reality. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android