Is this a good idea?

Absolutely 10 71.43%

It doesn't matter that much 4 28.57%

No, MS should continue to... 0 0%

See results 0 0%

Total:14
sethnintendo said:
d21lewis said:
Probably won't make a huge difference but yeah, I agree. Just like how they locked Netflix and other features for years on the 360, it wasn't a very consumer friendly choice. Change it.

Didn't they allow Netflix for free (not behind Live paywall) once it came out on PS3 and Wii?

Can't remember exactly when but even when Netflix came out for competing consoles after the year of exclusivity, Xbox 360 owners still couldn't access it without Gold. In fact, I think it was pretty close to the release of the Xbox One that the policy finally changed. Even the XB 360 web browser was locked behind Gold and that wasn't added into veeeeery late in the generation.

*Googled it. It was locked until 2014!! 😲

https://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712696/microsoft-dropping-xbox-live-gold-requirement-netflix-rumor

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

Can't remember exactly when but even when Netflix came out for competing consoles after the year of exclusivity, Xbox 360 owners still couldn't access it without Gold. In fact, I think it was pretty close to the release of the Xbox One that the policy finally changed. Even the XB 360 web browser was locked behind Gold and that wasn't added into veeeeery late in the generation.

*Googled it. It was locked until 2014!! 😲

https://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712696/microsoft-dropping-xbox-live-gold-requirement-netflix-rumor

It wasn't until Phil took over, Netflix and other apps were locked behind Gold. I think doing something similar with f2p games would be the right move. 

Conina said:
smroadkill15 said:

You don't need Gold to have access to cloud saves. 

Yeah, but you need PS+ and Nintendo online for that on other systems.

Those things shouldn't be locked behind a paywall either. All 3 of them could do more work to be more consumer friendly. 

I agree. It's not very "Pro consumer " to have free games behind a pay wall. Sony got this right. Let F2P games be truly "Free".

Conina said:
smroadkill15 said:

You don't need Gold to have access to cloud saves. 

Yeah, but you need PS+ and Nintendo online for that on other systems.

XBO's managing of cloud saves is the best in the business and (even though I pay for it) as a guy who owns multiple XBO consoles, I appreciate that. Nothing beats playing a digital game in my game room, waking up at night and (after a few seconds to sync with the cloud) continuing right where I left off in my bedroom.

But you have me wondering. Which of the big three consoles offers the most consumer friendly experience for free? 🤔

Around the Network

Xbox finally made the change a little over a year after this thread was created. I'll unofficially take some credit for this happening