By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts February 2020 Discussion Thread

PS4 + Xbone are looking to have significantly worse legs than PS3 + 360, though they'll probably still end up ahead in the end due to the lead they've built up and general population growth.

Around the Network

I still reckon Switch should win in the long run, but only if it continues getting a decent supply of games for the next 3 years; again, it should, but Nintendo could do a Nintendo.

Switch well and truly hammering 3DS, should pass it easily unless Nintendo do something astoundingly dumb like dumping support prematurely.

As for DS, the fact they're even still in the same ballpark is impressive given DS's monstrous total sales. I don't expect Switch to have the same kind of insane total, but it's a good sign.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Switch well and truly hammering 3DS, should pass it easily unless Nintendo do something astoundingly dumb like dumping support prematurely.

As for DS, the fact they're even still in the same ballpark is impressive given DS's monstrous total sales. I don't expect Switch to have the same kind of insane total, but it's a good sign.

Switch is doing great. I expect we will learn soon the big Switch games for holiday 2020. AC will help boost sales up as long as shortages aren't too bad. 

DS had a slow start, but picked up huge steam later on. 

I hope so, their near total silence about what's coming this year beyond AC has me rather concerned. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. They'll need some heavy hitters in the second half of the year or their momentum could crash.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I hope so, their near total silence about what's coming this year beyond AC has me rather concerned. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid. They'll need some heavy hitters in the second half of the year or their momentum could crash.

Something like BotW2 or MP4? Yes I know both are very unlikely. 

I would saw off my right arm without anesthetic for either of those games to come out in 2020, but I expect neither will.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I would saw off my right arm without anesthetic for either of those games to come out in 2020, but I expect neither will.

I'm guessing 2021 for BotW 2 and 2022 for MP4. I have a feeling we will see remasters and rereleases for this year. 

Yeah that sounds about right. 

I really hope Nintendo has some new and major games for this year beyond AC. This should be the Switch's prime, yet their schedule is as barren as the Sahara.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah that sounds about right. 

I really hope Nintendo has some new and major games for this year beyond AC. This should be the Switch's prime, yet their schedule is as barren as the Sahara.

I am sure we will learn something soon. Nintendo loves to wait to announce games. Square Enix announcing games 5+ years before they launch is worse IMO. 

Yeah that's annoying too, I'm still fucking pissed they announced Bayonetta 3 back in 2017 and still haven't shown any gameplay more than two years later. I wish they could just do a happy medium; announce stuff that's 9-18 months out, announce it with actual gameplay, and release it on time.

PS4 vs DS

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 210,041 – DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,678,071 – DS

Total Lead: 34,997,039 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 107,575,699

DS Total Sales: 142,572,738

February 2020 is the 76th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo DS when compared with the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. The Nintendo DS has grown its lead over the PlayStation 4 by 210,041 units and in the last 12 months outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.68 million units. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 35.00 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan and March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 107.58 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 142.57 million units during the same timeframe.

The 76th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 is February, while for the Nintendo DS it is February 2011.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 154.02 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 46.44 million units to outsell the Nintendo DS.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 vs DS

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 210,041 – DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,678,071 – DS

Total Lead: 34,997,039 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 107,575,699

DS Total Sales: 142,572,738

February 2020 is the 76th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo DS when compared with the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. The Nintendo DS has grown its lead over the PlayStation 4 by 210,041 units and in the last 12 months outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.68 million units. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 35.00 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan and March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 107.58 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 142.57 million units during the same timeframe.

The 76th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 is February, while for the Nintendo DS it is February 2011.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 154.02 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 46.44 million units to outsell the Nintendo DS.

Thanks for posting this one. Slipped my mind when I published the article. I guess that is what happens on Fridays lol. 

No worries mate, it happens to all of us. I almost forgot to pay my mortgage the other week haha. 

Anyway, crazy to see that even at this late stage DS is still widening the gap.

trunkswd said:

Read the complete article here.

Switch vs PS4 – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 242,033 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,229,444 – Switch

Total Lead: 5,955,945 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 51,517,893

PS4 Total Sales: 45,561,948

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 242,033 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 2.23 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 5.96 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 51.52 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 45.56 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is October 2016.

Will be interesting to see how long before the double helix crosses again. This is the furthest ahead Switch has gotten so far, but shortages and the pandemic will likely reduce its sales over the coming months.