By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 22 February 2020

First week the Switch is down YoY (if I'm not mistaken) but it wouldn't be without the shortages.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

The Switch was already down yoy in January npd. They confirmed it was down in revenue and units that month.

The Switch was already down yoy in January npd. They confirmed it was down in revenue and units that month.

Even with shortages, Switch still leading PS4 7:1 in Japan, and comfortably ahead of PS4 + Xbone globally.
This won't be a normal year in terms of sales trends due to the impact of COVID-19.

Radek said:
trunkswd said:
Shortages have started to hit Japan due to the coronavirus. If it keeps up shortages will start happening in the rest of the world.

I just don't understand why Japanese players wouldn't buy Switch Lite if hybrid Switch is facing shortages.

It's not like they play at home on the TV for the most part (probably 80% of them).

Before the shortages, the majority of Switch sales in Japan were the hybrid model despite it being more expensive, so clearly while some Japanese consumers will settle for a Lite if it's all they can get, they clearly prefer the base version. 

It's not like Japanese folks don't play at home at all, more that they don't have as much time to play only there, so the regular Switch allowing them to play both at home and on the go suits their lifestyle better. Ring Fit Adventure is also a big seller for the Switch there, and that's primarily a TV-mode game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 February 2020

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:
Even with shortages, Switch still leading PS4 7:1 in Japan, and comfortably ahead of PS4 + Xbone globally.
This won't be a normal year in terms of sales trends due to the impact of COVID-19.

We shall see when the shortages will start impacting North America and Europe. If the Coronavirus isn't contained in the next couple months I could see hardware sales dropping worldwide to the lowest they've been in in over a couple generations. 

At this point I'm not sure it can be contained in the long run, it's already made it to so many countries. I expect it will have a heavy impact on sales throughout the year.

Radek said:
SpokenTruth said:

Yes, because 74,000 short is getting real close.

Dude, get off me. First you told me I'm always downplaying Nintendo and now this. Look my post history, because I know you are gonna cherry pick.

Don't complain about others pointing the obvious flaws in your post. The numbers aren't anywhere near each other and the ps4 didn't go anywhere, it was the switch that went down because of low stock in japan.

Also, you shouldn't complain about someone saying you downplay nintendo when you just did that.

Radek said:
curl-6 said:

Before the shortages, the majority of Switch sales in Japan were the hybrid model despite it being more expensive, so clearly while some Japanese consumers will settle for a Lite if it's all they can get, they clearly prefer the base version. 

It's not like Japanese folks don't play at home at all, more that they don't have as much time to play only there, so the regular Switch allowing them to play both at home and on the go suits their lifestyle better. Ring Fit Adventure is also a big seller for the Switch there, and that's primarily a TV-mode game.

Low price seems very appealing to me, and I've heard many Japanese people don't have big TV's in their apartments.

I would rather buy cheap Lite than wait months for shipments of Switch Hybrid, but that's just me.

Well, I'm not Japanese myself, but Famitsu's numbers show that before the shortages, the base Switch consistently and considerably outsold the Lite in spite of its higher price tag, so clearly the Japanese do see some value in TV play.

Ring Fit Adventure has become quite successful in Japan, again up until the shortages, and that's a game you can't exactly play on the train to work.

Why is it only in Japan?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Leave my boy Radek alone.

PS4 still doing good. I can't wait to see Final Fantasy VII Remake / The Last Of Us Part. 2 / Ghost Of Tsushima and all impact + price drop.