By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 22 February 2020

Even with shortages, Switch still leading PS4 7:1 in Japan, and comfortably ahead of PS4 + Xbone globally.
This won't be a normal year in terms of sales trends due to the impact of COVID-19.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Radek said:
trunkswd said:
Shortages have started to hit Japan due to the coronavirus. If it keeps up shortages will start happening in the rest of the world.

I just don't understand why Japanese players wouldn't buy Switch Lite if hybrid Switch is facing shortages.

It's not like they play at home on the TV for the most part (probably 80% of them).

Before the shortages, the majority of Switch sales in Japan were the hybrid model despite it being more expensive, so clearly while some Japanese consumers will settle for a Lite if it's all they can get, they clearly prefer the base version. 

It's not like Japanese folks don't play at home at all, more that they don't have as much time to play only there, so the regular Switch allowing them to play both at home and on the go suits their lifestyle better. Ring Fit Adventure is also a big seller for the Switch there, and that's primarily a TV-mode game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 February 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Even with shortages, Switch still leading PS4 7:1 in Japan, and comfortably ahead of PS4 + Xbone globally.
This won't be a normal year in terms of sales trends due to the impact of COVID-19.

We shall see when the shortages will start impacting North America and Europe. If the Coronavirus isn't contained in the next couple months I could see hardware sales dropping worldwide to the lowest they've been in in over a couple generations. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

We shall see when the shortages will start impacting North America and Europe. If the Coronavirus isn't contained in the next couple months I could see hardware sales dropping worldwide to the lowest they've been in in over a couple generations. 

At this point I'm not sure it can be contained in the long run, it's already made it to so many countries. I expect it will have a heavy impact on sales throughout the year.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

At this point I'm not sure it can be contained in the long run, it's already made it to so many countries. I expect it will have a heavy impact on sales throughout the year.

Digital software sales will likely be fine as people stay home and try to avoid crowded places. Movie theaters and retailers will likely take a hit, but an increase in Netflix, Disney+, etc subscribers is a possibility. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Radek said:
PS4 is getting really close to Switch, and that console is over 6 year old.

Yes, because 74,000 short is getting real close.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
Radek said:
PS4 is getting really close to Switch, and that console is over 6 year old.

Dude, get off me. First you told me I'm always downplaying Nintendo and now this. Look my post history, because I know you are gonna cherry pick.

Also I said "getting" which means it's a process, and I'm aware of Japanese Switch shortages, but it's still unsual for 6+ year old console to sell above 100K every single week.

Last edited by Radek - on 26 February 2020

curl-6 said:
Radek said:

I just don't understand why Japanese players wouldn't buy Switch Lite if hybrid Switch is facing shortages.

It's not like they play at home on the TV for the most part (probably 80% of them).

Before the shortages, the majority of Switch sales in Japan were the hybrid model despite it being more expensive, so clearly while some Japanese consumers will settle for a Lite if it's all they can get, they clearly prefer the base version. 

It's not like Japanese folks don't play at home at all, more that they don't have as much time to play only there, so the regular Switch allowing them to play both at home and on the go suits their lifestyle better. Ring Fit Adventure is also a big seller for the Switch there, and that's primarily a TV-mode game.

Low price seems very appealing to me, and I've heard many Japanese people don't have big TV's in their apartments.

I would rather buy cheap Lite than wait months for shipments of Switch Hybrid, but that's just me.

Radek said:
SpokenTruth said:

Dude, get off me. First you told me I'm always downplaying Nintendo and now this. Look my post history, because I know you are gonna cherry pick.

Don't complain about others pointing the obvious flaws in your post. The numbers aren't anywhere near each other and the ps4 didn't go anywhere, it was the switch that went down because of low stock in japan.

Also, you shouldn't complain about someone saying you downplay nintendo when you just did that.

Nu-13 said:
Radek said:

Don't complain about others pointing the obvious flaws in your post. The numbers aren't anywhere near each other and the ps4 didn't go anywhere, it was the switch that went down because of low stock in japan.

Also, you shouldn't complain about someone saying you downplay nintendo when you just did that.

Wow, just wow! Alright then!

I guess I just always do it, right? Literally all I ever post! At least that's according to Spoken Truth!