By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do gamers really want Cloud gaming?

So long as consoles sell 200 million every gen more or less, traditional gaming whether physical or digital isn’t going anywhere.

But we will get to a point where cloud gaming will be viable as an option. And MS is the only console manufacturer that has the infrastructure, with tens of billions invested, to capitalize on the future.

People like us won’t be crazy over it, but it’s all about core games so I personally see no reason to complain. 

That’s why I feel Stadia will fail, same with the other one I can’t remember it’s name....they don’t have 14 studios with high profile IPS like the “holy trinity of Xbox” lol to push their service. Stadia has like....1 developer? Lol that ain’t gonna cut it once Xcloud enters full release.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I don't mind if the option exists.

JRPGfan said:
Imaginedvl said:

That^

I mean, traditional console (or PC) is my main mean of gaming but having the cloud option on top of it is just amazing :)
So if I buy my game and then play it at home on my console, or remotely using the cloud, Im all for it.

Even if it means you need to pay more for your internet subscription, ontop of paying for a monthly subscrption to have cloud gameing?

I think alot, would rather just use other options, *IF* they had any.
I see cloud gameing, more as something OTHER instead of a choice ontop off, something.

Its more of a either or, thingy.
Its for those that wont even buy a game console imo.
(because if you had one, why would you subject yourself to a lesser experiance?)

I mean "on top of something" means exactly that... 
Having a console and/or PC and being able "ON TOP OF THAT" to play remotely using the cloud.

You are confusing Stadia with the everything else here. Stadia does not offer than option, it is all of nothing with them.

But xCloud or even that thing from NVidia (could not remember the name) is giving you the option to also play remotely; which can be only a good thing for everyone... 

If you do not want to, just don't use it (or even pay for it if it is not part of the package) and simply play your game at home or on whatever device you are using... 

zero129 said:
eva01beserk said:

Dosent MS has press statements all the time glorifing gamepass and streaming? They brag more about it than they do their consoles. Its kind of obvious what is their focus.

Yes their focus is clearly their nextgen console and the xbox eco system. With gamepass and streaming they are looking to position themselves for the future.

But for now both are secondary options and MS has stated as much already.

Or to you expect MS to just sit back and let company's like Google and Amazon etc take all the streaming market share?.

Fact is and yes i also dont like it but streaming "IS" the future of gaming. It wont be for awhile yet but it is coming. and yes like i said i also hate it, but im not so blinded that i cant see where the market is going. Once users can stream their games on any device without the problems it faces right now (Internet speeds, data caps etc) the biggest part of the market is going to move that way.

Next gen, their main focus is obviously on building the foundation for what they envision the future of gaming to be like and them becoming the Netflix of gaming with Xcloud and GP. Phil Spencer said that in about 10 years there will be no need for dedicated hardware anymore and we'll all be gaming in the cloud on a ton of different devices.  

It doesn't sound like such a bad idea in theory, but I think there are a ton of things they're just not thinking through when they're comparing it to streaming music and movies. First of all, everybody listens to music and watches movies, but not everybody plays games, at least not the kind of games we see on consoles or pc. Games are interactive and are people really going to carry around their Xbox controller wherever they go? Also, If you get a bad signal while you're in middle of doing a perfect head shot in COD, people would get a lot more frustrated than if a video they're watching stops for a second while it's buffering. Core gaming is also about immersion so will people then really buy the latest AAA game and play it on a phone? The only use for cloud gaming I see is at home where you can stream to a second tv. But do we really need the Cloud for that, when a wireless hdmi dongle would do the same trick?

Last but not least, if cloud gaming actually does replace traditional gaming consoles and pc. How are they then so convinced they will become the Netflix of gaming? Would it really be impossible for behemoth companies like Nintendo and Sony to do the same thing just because they don't have their own cloud servers? I'm sure they will figure it out and in the end it'll still be about the games where we'll have Halo, Gears and Forza on MS's streaming platform vs Mario, Zelda on Nintendo's service and Sony's ip's on another. As things are now, I just don't see MS coming out of that a winner at all.

MS keeps talking like max 200m gamers on consoles is too small a market for them and how they're looking for ways to expand that. But shouldn't they first focus on actually winning over those 200m gamers and get people excited for their next gen exclusives? 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 28 February 2020

Baldur's gate 3 is apparently coming to Stadia and Steam. Turn based combat and the general pace of an RPG are pretty well suited to streaming. However I don't like their business model, feels very pointless to buy a stream game. Like buying a movie you can only watch on Netflix.

However I never thought of the benefits on the developer side:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-27-baldurs-gate-3-interview

In terms of the technical stuff that that brings, there are a lot of promises there - do you feel the benefits of that? Is it like "wow the power of Stadia" and it's really changing the game, or is it just like developing on PC or anywhere else?

Walgrave: The cool thing about Stadia is that, for a very long time during development, we did not have to take care of optimisation so much. So, normally during development what you do is you write big pieces of tech, and then you start optimising. And obviously, as any "good programmer" should, you should optimise constantly and blah-blah-blah. But in the reality of development, you sometimes really want to just pump out whatever so that the designers, for instance, can start working. Stadia, having all this processing power behind it, makes you go like "Y'all, here's the new feature," and you can just pump up whatever you want. So in that regard, it was a big advantage. And now we can start focusing on optimising. So yeah, it helped.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
zero129 said:

Yes their focus is clearly their nextgen console and the xbox eco system. With gamepass and streaming they are looking to position themselves for the future.

But for now both are secondary options and MS has stated as much already.

Or to you expect MS to just sit back and let company's like Google and Amazon etc take all the streaming market share?.

Fact is and yes i also dont like it but streaming "IS" the future of gaming. It wont be for awhile yet but it is coming. and yes like i said i also hate it, but im not so blinded that i cant see where the market is going. Once users can stream their games on any device without the problems it faces right now (Internet speeds, data caps etc) the biggest part of the market is going to move that way.

Next gen, their main focus is obviously on building the foundation for what they envision the future of gaming to be like and them becoming the Netflix of gaming with Xcloud and GP. Phil Spencer said that in about 10 years there will be no need for dedicated hardware anymore and we'll all be gaming in the cloud on a ton of different devices.  

It doesn't sound like such a bad idea in theory, but I think there are a ton of things they're just not thinking through when they're comparing it to streaming music and movies. First of all, everybody listens to music and watches movies, but not everybody plays games, at least not the kind of games we see on consoles or pc. Games are interactive and are people really going to carry around their Xbox controller wherever they go? Also, If you get a bad signal while you're in middle of doing a perfect head shot in COD, people would get a lot more frustrated than if a video they're watching stops for a second while it's buffering. Core gaming is also about immersion so will people then really buy the latest AAA game and play it on a phone? The only use for cloud gaming I see is at home where you can stream to a second tv. But do we really need the Cloud for that, when a wireless hdmi dongle would do the same trick?

Last but not least, if cloud gaming actually does replace traditional gaming consoles and pc. How are they then so convinced they will become the Netflix of gaming? Would it really be impossible for behemoth companies like Nintendo and Sony to do the same thing just because they don't have their own cloud servers? I'm sure they will figure it out and in the end it'll still be about the games where we'll have Halo, Gears and Forza on MS's streaming platform vs Mario, Zelda on Nintendo's service and Sony's ip's on another. As things are now, I just don't see MS coming out of that a winner at all.

MS keeps talking like max 200m gamers on consoles is too small a market for them and how they're looking for ways to expand that. But shouldn't they first focus on actually winning over those 200m gamers and get people excited for their next gen exclusives? 

Phil also said steaming will never be as responsive as console gaming and is a convenience. Forgot that quote huh? 

Well you seem to not understand the appeal of Xcloud or how it could be used. Kids can use it in the car for short to long rides. Adults can play in the bedroom when winding down for the day. Or kids when sent to bed and very commonly...are not willing to sleep right away. Waiting in the doctors office...a small backpack is all you need to carry the controller and holder. Obviously if there is a AAA immersive game people can choose to play that at home only. 

MS invested tens of billions for their cloud infrastructure. No way Nintendo will follow and they always do dedicated hardware anyway. Sony literally will be coming to MS as a customer in the next gen...do you not keep up with the news? Even if Sony wins when they follow MS....MS wins even more because they getting paid $$$$$$ by Sony to use their cloud. See MS actually had the foresight to plan for the future where as Sony’s current streaming ambitions can’t keep up with the times. 

MS focusing on consoles too. In case you aren’t aware they been pushing the Series X in PR lately. Lockhart isn’t even officially announced....ya I think they value consoles too. 

“get people excited for their next gen exclusives?” I have never seen a Halo title receive anything less then stellar marketing with maximum penetration to the masses. Especially as a launch title. Especially as Halo and Xbox each represent a fresh start for the Xbox brand and fans. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 28 February 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

More than enough people will in the coming decades. This decision is not in the hands of us millennials anymore

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

Phil also said steaming will never be as responsive as console gaming and is a convenience. Forgot that quote huh? 

Well you seem to not understand the appeal of Xcloud or how it could be used. Kids can use it in the car for short to long rides. Adults can play in the bedroom when winding down for the day. Or kids when sent to bed and very commonly...are not willing to sleep right away. Waiting in the doctors office...a small backpack is all you need to carry the controller and holder. Obviously if there is a AAA immersive game people can choose to play that at home only. 

MS invested tens of billions for their cloud infrastructure. No way Nintendo will follow and they always do dedicated hardware anyway. Sony literally will be coming to MS as a customer in the next gen...do you not keep up with the news? Even if Sony wins when they follow MS....MS wins even more because they getting paid $$$$$$ by Sony to use their cloud. See MS actually had the foresight to plan for the future where as Sony’s current streaming ambitions can’t keep up with the times. 

MS focusing on consoles too. In case you aren’t aware they been pushing the Series X in PR lately. Lockhart isn’t even officially announced....ya I think they value consoles too. 

“get people excited for their next gen exclusives?” I have never seen a Halo title receive anything less then stellar marketing with maximum penetration to the masses. Especially as a launch title. Especially as Halo and Xbox each represent a fresh start for the Xbox brand and fans. 

He didn't say never. He said in about 10 years there will be no need for dedicated hardware anymore. That's why selling next gen consoles isn't important for MS because they're already looking past next gen. 

The head of Xbox just unveiled a new console, but Phil Spencer isn’t too worried about selling you one. “I don’t need to sell any specific version of the console in order for us to reach our business goals,” he told me in an interview yesterday, the day after Microsoft held its annual E3 keynote.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18661247/phil-spencer-interview-xbox-project-scarlett-xcloud-e3-2019

And who cares if Sony pays MS $$$$$$ to use their Cloud? I'm not a MS shareholder, I just like to play games. In the end gaming is entertainment and even if Cloud gaming is the future like we're seeing now with streaming movies/music, content will still be king. 

When games become all cloud and publishers can take them down anytime they want and have full control. There is no craft anymore. It's just disposable marketable digital playgrounds designed purely around making money by nickel and diming. People will not appreciate a craft anymore esp as there will be none, but even for the few that are a work of craftsmanship, it won't matter. Just treat it as something disposable. Nothing will be valued anymore. I will not part take in that "future"

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

He didn't say never. He said in about 10 years there will be no need for dedicated hardware anymore. That's why selling next gen consoles isn't important for MS because they're already looking past next gen. 

The head of Xbox just unveiled a new console, but Phil Spencer isn’t too worried about selling you one. “I don’t need to sell any specific version of the console in order for us to reach our business goals,” he told me in an interview yesterday, the day after Microsoft held its annual E3 keynote.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18661247/phil-spencer-interview-xbox-project-scarlett-xcloud-e3-2019

And who cares if Sony pays MS $$$$$$ to use their Cloud? I'm not a MS shareholder, I just like to play games. In the end gaming is entertainment and even if Cloud gaming is the future like we're seeing now with streaming movies/music, content will still be king. 

Consoles are over when we the consumer say it’s over by not buying them. We dictate when that time comes. Looks like you didn’t respond to the examples of Xcloud use. Glad we sorted that out. 

Thanks for the quote that literally backs up my argument haha. MS wants you in the family. Because once you in you are more likely to keep investing time and money. The Series X appeals to those who want it, simple as that. 

You said you wouldn’t expect MS to win if Sony followed them in the cloud space. I said they would profit massively lol. That profit literally would keep Xcloud investments strong if you want a gamers benefitting spin. I wouldn’t talk about it though until Sony actually announces something. Its funny you said your just a average joe gamer who likes to play good games, who previously admitted to wanting bad launch exclusives if they give a glimpse of the consoles power.