By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 7 Remake File Size Revealed

You know SE. They could totally make a small linear game 100GB. Can't wait to preload it on EGS.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I'm sure it's going to have plenty of content. However, we shouldn't use the file size to measure that. FF XIII was 38 GB on PS3, a massive size file for when it launched... and it turned out to be a bunch of corridors with a somewhat open area at the end.

Why is the front not just white with the logo and then the addition of 'Remake' under it? Did SquEnix even play FF7?

Hmm, pie.

Metallox said:
Signalstar said:
WTF? Still two discs? After 20+ years?

Faithful to the original. 

Didn't the original PSX game had 3 discs and Japan 4? 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Metallox said:

Faithful to the original. 

Didn't the original PSX game had 3 discs and Japan 4? 

I think so, but then all the discs had more or less the same data except for different cutscenes.

Around the Network

That means when the complete edition drops 10 years from now, it will be well over 300 GB.

Last edited by Shiken - on 19 February 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

deskpro2k3 said:

This is the Korean version of the cover and I assume it leaked from the printing company.

If you zoom in on the back by where the memory requirement is located you can see 100GB, that's on par with what Red Dead Redemption 2 requires and that's without a day one patch. This leads into the fact that people thought this game was going to be completely on rails, and episodic, that was shot down when we got the side quests revealed recently and the file size suggests that there will be a lot of things to do, see, and explore. It's worth repeating that this will be a full game taking place inside the city of Midgar and that we're getting a full games worth of content. There's also side quest from the people that lives in Midgar and they have their own stories to tell.

When I see Midgar in the original game I see a lot of potential to tell an amazing story inside the city alone that's why I always say we haven't really seen FF7, and I don't care what you say, no you haven't really seen it either. The prospect of a Midgar only game excited me because I can compare this city to the likes of a Yakuza or a GTA game that features hours of side content, and the size of the maps in Yakuza games is small in comparison to most open-world games but there's almost something to do on every street corner in Yakuza. This is the potential Midgar has in just this game alone with a file size of 100GB, and of course it could end up being bigger with patches.

Waiting for the 50GB day one patch to add to it.

About the maps on Yakuza it isn't only every corner, is almost every square meter. That may the reason I like it even with the open-world elements, you don't really have to walk far to get something new to do and that something isn't also very far away and you have good fights and completionist objectives meanwhile.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hiku said:
Vodacixi said:
I'm sure it's going to have plenty of content. However, we shouldn't use the file size to measure that. FF XIII was 38 GB on PS3, a massive size file for when it launched... and it turned out to be a bunch of corridors with a somewhat open area at the end.

I think the two discs is more telling than the filesize alone. That's an extra cost and logistics issue they'd rather avoid if they could.
Only one game so far has come on two discs this generation and that's Red Dead 2. Final Fantasy 7 and The Last of Us 2 will be the second and third.

TLoU 2 is gonna be two disks? Wow, didn't know that. I didn't like the first one so I'm not paying attention to the second one. That's crazy xD

I guess you have a point...

Signalstar said:
WTF? Still two discs? After 20+ years?

Um, this is part I of like III.  So we may go from 3 discs to 6 in total.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Mar1217 said:
I understand why people get excited about the size file but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. This is still 100 GB without patch so I can safely assume Sqaure Enix does the bare minimum in optimization here :P

Why do you care ? You don't have a PS4