By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: We've Won the Core Gamer

I'm getting the same talking to a brick wall / regret feeling I get whenever I reply to a post or try to argue with MikeB. Just ignore the previous post I made and define a core gamer whatever way you want.  I happen to agree with Microsoft's, EA's, Ubisoft's, etc's definition and in that definition Microsoft's claim is very hard to argue against for North America.

Around the Network
naznatips said:

AgainIf you really think those 14 year olds calling everyone "gay" on Xbox Live are core gamers, then I have to say it's an awful category to be included in. 

I just wanted to add one thing...  What does this have to do with the conversation?  It makes absolutely no sense in the context of this discussion unless you're trying to claim that 14 year olds can't be core gamers or that what a person says in online games can exclude them from being a core gamer.  Are you actually trying to make ridiculous claims like that?

Personally,I think being a 'hardcore' gamer is not about the types of games you play,it´s about how you play,how much time you devote to these games and about your willingness to try out different types of games and try to be really good at each one of them.

Ajax said:

many american gamers love shooters

not strange
cause guns play a much greater roll in their society than in Europe
they can even buy guns at stores there

:P

and many of us are damn proud of it

RPGJock said:
mrstickball said:

And then the PS3 seems to specialize in "niche" games such as your old Niche PS2-only games that were/are Japanese-heavy (atleast in the West).

I had to stop and "well actually" you right there.  I think the problem with the poor sells in Japan is because Sony completely left out the Japanese market.  I mean there are maybe 10 games that Sony's "core" audience are even playing and the rest are Western games that they can give two fish about. 

I think Sony saw Xbox as the threat in the West and went after them and completely and fatally forgot about Nintendo at home.  They are paying for that mistake now and probably for years to come.

Good gosh man, they don't even have a "true" PS3 JRPG game on the market yet and they let Monster Hunter 3 get away.  Talk about dropping the damn ball.

fixed

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

My dad loves Need for Speed and Gran Turismo and my mom loves Trackmania United and Super Mario platformers, I really don't see them as "core gamers".
I am a core gamer by my own definiton but I know only a handful who are (2-3 tops).

krik said:
So there are 18M core gamers in the world and I'm not one of them? lol @ Microsoft and their stupid FUD press releases.

They won nothing. How stupid can someone be to actually still believe in this FUD-type press releases?
you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

i guess a core gamer is someone who gets really invested into them and wants to be great at them or is interested in the story of a game. also u would call games with a lurning curve hardcore to someone who has never played before so i guess racers and shooters count

Legend11 said:
I'm getting the same talking to a brick wall / regret feeling I get whenever I reply to a post or try to argue with MikeB. Just ignore the previous post I made and define a core gamer whatever way you want.  I happen to agree with Microsoft's, EA's, Ubisoft's, etc's definition and in that definition Microsoft's claim is very hard to argue against for North America.

Taken from Wilkepedia (below) - i notice in both definitions it doesn't state it's defined by the type of game you play so where is this Industry Definition you constantly throw into the conversation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer 

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term (see Usage of the Term). Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing or reading about video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them.

Me said:
Legend11 said:

Taken from Wilkepedia (below) - i notice in both definitions it doesn't state it's defined by the type of game you play so where is this Industry Definition you constantly throw into the conversation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer 

Hardcore gamer is a widely used term applied to describe a type of video game player. There is currently no unanimously agreed upon definition for the term (see Usage of the Term). Some describe hardcore gamers as those whose leisure time is largely devoted to playing or reading about video games. This type of gamer prefers to take significant time and practice on games, in contrast to a casual gamer. Many hardcore gamers pride themselves on mastering the rules or use of a game, although this is not a strict requirement. Conflicting opinion argues that it is not so much the time spent on games however, as casual gamers can spend hundreds of hours on games without ever mastering them.

This pretty much sums up what the industry thinks core gamers are:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000801/adams_01.htm##