By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: We've Won the Core Gamer

selnor said:
mrstickball said:
Well, you have to define what a core gamer is, plays, and does.

The X360 by some standards, has the core gamer - the average joe-blow shootemup American loves the 360. Look at what sells on the 360 - core games such as shooters, racers, and sports games which are a big portion of the American market.

Whereas the Wii has the more casual base, since it sells mostly Nintendo-based IPs, and Casual games.

And then the PS3 seems to specialize in "niche" games such as your old Niche PS2-only games that were/are Japanese-heavy (atleast in the West).

So yes, the 360 has the biggest core product of the American gamer - look at who sells more sports, shooters, and racing games. It's the 360 in the US.

Outside of the US, the 360 caters more toward the cultural "hardcore" in Japan (JRPGs, and whatever Tecmo makes, and Western games). And in Europe, I'd say they have the "core" audience, but less than the PS3 does, while the Wii also seems to be taking the Core market by storm.
I disagree. The 360 has far more PS2 orientated games than PS3 at the mo. Just look at the current game list.

That's the reason I bought a 360 again......

Around the Network

So there are 18M core gamers in the world and I'm not one of them? lol @ Microsoft and their stupid FUD press releases.

They won nothing. How stupid can someone be to actually still believe in this FUD-type press releases?

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

They're losing every week in sales from the PS3, they haven't won yet, so shut up MS!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

I can't understand Microsofts intention - they want to go after niche crowds and not expand is what I get from some of his statements.

I mean I know the myth is that core gamers buy games a lot more and such but is that the driving reason?

Oh well it would be interesting to hear Halo 4 being developed by Infinity Ward or something, that would be killer on potential sales.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

The title made me laugh.

Around the Network

I think they ment the trendycore gamers.

You know last generation we considered people who played nothing but sports, shooters, and racers casual...

I still consider them casual. 90% of gamers are casual.  The only ones who aren't are us few internet gamers who actually pay attention to gaming media and news.  The internet is hardly 100% 360...

They are always trying to say they are winning something, so they rush this statement before is to late.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

I think he's talking about North America and looking at the numbers I agree with him.  The fact that EA isn't even going to bother making a version of Madden 09 for the PC this year (a game that pretty much only sells in North America) says a lot.

swyggi said:
MS better not count their eggs before they hatch. Sadly it seems like they have already done that. There are still over a dozen titles the 360 will have to survive against the PS3.

First off, I think a dozen is an extremely optimistic number, especially considering each previous "zero-hour" was nothing of the sort.  Secondly, there my be a few on that list that the PS3 will have to survive, maybe a spiritual successor to Lair?