By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180

FFVII aged alright. Like a fine wine.

Nobody has really seen Final Fantasy 7. It's my favorite game I've played it a many times, but no I don't care, I've never seen it, you've never seen it, nobody's ever seen it, because all we saw was Lego people. When you play with Legos as a kid your imagination takes over so that's what has happened with this game, our imaginations have taken over. We've gotten to the point where we've imagined and sort of like crafted and built these scenes in our heads in these characters and how they look almost like reading a book. It's really was like a book and now we're at the point where we're able to see it for real in the Remake.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

Nobody has really seen Final Fantasy 7. It's my favorite game I've played it a many times, but no I don't care, I've never seen it, you've never seen it, nobody's ever seen it, because all we saw was Lego people. When you play with Legos as a kid your imagination takes over so that's what has happened with this game, our imaginations have taken over. We've gotten to the point where we've imagined and sort of like crafted and built these scenes in our heads in these characters and how they look almost like reading a book. It's really was like a book and now we're at the point where we're able to see it for real in the Remake.

Legos don't engage your imagination because they're blocky, it's because you can actually create both the physical sets, make up your own personalities for the characters, and any stories you want to make with them.  FF7 is not remotely the same. 

Jumpin said:
Chicho said:

Chrono Cross is the game the game thats a contemporary to OOT and FF7. It is better than the prequel too.

back on topic: I would choose OOT but i do like both games

Chrono Cross didn’t have a prequel or sequel. It was the last game attempt for the franchise. The game was also not very good (Xenogears Lite with horrendous gameplay and an uninspired cast), and we can than Chrono Cross for a mass exodus from Square which included composer Mitsuda - who refused to work with Square again for over 15 years. On the bright side, we can thank Chrono Cross for swelling the numbers of Monolithsoft since so many staff left during its development.

Incorrect, Chrono Cross was pretty great.  They guy above you was referring to Trigger as "the prequel".  I do not agree that it was better than Trigger, but it is definitely one of my top 5 games of all time.

The story was deep and followed Trigger nicely, but had a pacing issue and many people missed the point of the game as most of the big twist that tied it to Trigger was part of two massive info dumps midway and at the end of the game.  But if you truly understand what is happening, Cross would not have happened without Trigger.  The main issue fans had was while the story was a true follow up to Trigger, it was not a direct sequel that followed the same cast and had a different play style from the first game.  Despite that, the game is still seen as one of the PS1's greatest games today by many.

Even so, Cross should be played as its own game and the connections to Trigger should only be drawn at the end due to this pacing issue and the fact that they do not play the same.  The battle system was very enjoyable and the game itself was one of the most ambitious projects on the PS1.  A true classic and a great JRPG with one of the best soundtracks ever made.

Last edited by Shiken - on 15 February 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

JWeinCom said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Legos don't engage your imagination because they're blocky, it's because you can actually create both the physical sets, make up your own personalities for the characters, and any stories you want to make with them.  FF7 is not remotely the same. 

Dude, what you just describe is also the use of imagination.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 15 February 2020

Ocarina of time has aged terribly gameplay wise. So  FF7 gets my vote. It also has a better story and better characters.

I honestly never understood why Ocarina of time is so highly rated. A link to the past, the gamecube/wii zelda's and breath of the wild are all much more enjoyable to play.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 15 February 2020

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I wonder what the results would be if we got to vote between their modern flagship games, FFXV and Botw.

This has already happened too many times. Botw would win (this is also a more Nintendo prone site), but it would be much closer if things weren't the way there are with the FF fanbase on the forums. 

Pretty sure the hardcore FF fans scared off most of the FFXV fans on the forums for the time being because it's the game that's cool to hate at the moment.

FF7 got the same treatment, but just not to the same extent due to information travel back then vs now.  Don't give me that "but FF7 is actually a good game unlike FFXV" either.  *Don't reply to me at all if that's where your head is going. 

For the main topic, FF7 easily.  Better story and music.  Gameplay between the two is not possible to compare, but FF7 had more depth in its mechanics than you'd think with its limit breaks and vast array of materia types.  The game flow  felt more consistent in FF7 than OoT, where OoT's game flow had some significant drops in enjoyment in the water dungeons or the times where you need to find the next dungeon became kind of tedious.  In any of the lower points of FF7 you at least had the story to keep the game's quality up, and it doesn't hurt that the gameplay was great to begin with.  You could even greatly change the pacing of the gameplay's speed at any time in the config menu, and raise the stakes changing the wait battle option to active.  This created a very different feel to the combat system and it was nice that you could change it any time to how you like the speed.  It was present in past FF games, but I think FF7 did it much smoother with the speed slider.

Lube Me Up

If you're talking about age and holds up until this day. The winner is easily Ocarina of Time due to technical innovative & nicely English translated, sure the control may still clunky, but everything else is hard to deny.

P.S: Once i received my Final Fantasy 7 Remake copy this year, i'll never go back to original version again.

deskpro2k3 said:
JWeinCom said:

Uhhhh... yes, that was the point.  I was talking about the things that Legos have that encourage the use of imagination, and that FF7 does not have those things.  

JWeinCom said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Uhhhh... yes, that was the point.  I was talking about the things that Legos have that encourage the use of imagination, and that FF7 does not have those things.  

Sounds like you have a lack of imagination.

deskpro2k3 said:
JWeinCom said:

Sounds like you have a lack of imagination.

There are things that invite the use of imagination.  Things that involve creation with no defined narrative- yes.  Things that do not involve any creation and have a very clearly defined narrative- not so much.