By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180

Chrono Cross is the game the game thats a contemporary to OOT and FF7. It is better than the prequel too.

back on topic: I would choose OOT but i do like both games

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Xenogears.

Would be my pick too.

On the topic. Before Breath of the Wild, it probably would have most likely been Ocarina of Time, but it would have been arguable. But today it is a hard win for Final Fantasy 7.

Breath of the Wild kind of ruined Ocarina of Time for me. I find the game difficult to pick up without being reminded of all the things I don’t like about it - essentially, all dungeons after the forest temple. Dungeons are too long, too many “find key 1 to get to the area where you find switch 1 to get to the area where you find key 2 to get to a room of weird puzzles and you have to guess which one is important and guess what it even is), etc... etc... until 2-3 hours later Gamefaqs.com to find the out where that needle in a haystack is.” I only realize I didn’t really like them after contrasting it to Breath of the Wild which has MUCH more of the game taking place on a FAR richer surface world, and the dungeons are better paced and you’re never stuck with “find this one key in one of these 28 room in order to continue the game” type puzzles, because unlike Ocarina of Time, nothing is on a critical path, if you get to a part you can’t solve, so something else instead.

I’m more of an RPG guy, so FF7 is appealing. It’s not my favourite, but in 2020 I like it much more than Ocarina of Time. In 2010 it would have been Ocarina of Time (and I otherwise didn’t really like 3D Zelda outside of that and Majorca’s Mask).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Chicho said:

Chrono Cross is the game the game thats a contemporary to OOT and FF7. It is better than the prequel too.

back on topic: I would choose OOT but i do like both games

Chrono Cross didn’t have a prequel or sequel. It was the last game attempt for the franchise. The game was also not very good (Xenogears Lite with horrendous gameplay and an uninspired cast), and we can than Chrono Cross for a mass exodus from Square which included composer Mitsuda - who refused to work with Square again for over 15 years. On the bright side, we can thank Chrono Cross for swelling the numbers of Monolithsoft since so many staff left during its development.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Two of my favourite games ever made.. but ill give it to Zelda.

Story - FF7
Everything else - Zelda Ocarina of Time.

Story: Final Fantasy VII
Everything else: Final Fantasy VII

It’s not even close.

To those answering the question by mentioning an unrelated title, you’re not clever or anything. Just annoying.

Around the Network

They are both definitely the titans of their era, without a doubt.

Final Fantasy VII simply has a special place in my heart. It's not a perfect game by any means and it's not even the best RPG I've ever played but it just leaves its mark on you after you finish it.

I think both have aged terribly... but I guess Ocarina of Time was the better, more innovative experience when it came out.

That being said, both have been totally outclassed by almost all of their respective "sequels".

JWeinCom said:
Ocarina of Time. Gameplay holds up much better, visuals hold up much better, and was straight up a better game when they both released.

Gameplay hasnt aged as well imo, visual neither, nore was it a "straigth up better game".
FF7 beats it in all 3 area's you mentioned imo.

Too many nintendo die hards on this forum. Is the most likely explaination if Ocarina of time wins.

Spike0503 said:
They are both definitely the titans of their era, without a doubt.

Final Fantasy VII simply has a special place in my heart. It's not a perfect game by any means and it's not even the best RPG I've ever played but it just leaves its mark on you after you finish it.

^ this.

Ocarina of Time. Because it’s the best game ever made.

JRPGfan said:
JWeinCom said:
Ocarina of Time. Gameplay holds up much better, visuals hold up much better, and was straight up a better game when they both released.

Gameplay hasnt aged as well imo, visual neither, nore was it a "straigth up better game".
FF7 beats it in all 3 area's you mentioned imo.

Too many nintendo die hards on this forum. Is the most likely explaination if Ocarina of time wins.

I dont know what FF7 game you were playing, but its crazy to suggest FF7 visually looks better than Zelda OoT. 

This looks better than..

That.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 February 2020