By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online - February Game Updates

CaptainExplosion said:
Mar1217 said:

I sure don't care about Joker. Don't we all ?

I was talking about Hero.

Dragon Quest is one of the biggest JRPG franchises of all time, and you say that no one cares about Hero being added into Smash? HAHA! Just because YOU don't care, does not mean you speak on behalf of everyone else. 

Around the Network

This list of new additions is somewhat lacklustre. I mean, technically it could have been worse - on the other hand it could have been a whole lot better.

At this point I think we can all agree that we shouldn't have skyhigh expectations. I am very sure that heavy hitters like Earthbound, Super Mario RPG or DKC will eventually be added, but we shoudn't expect them every time. Nintendo is very patient with bringing the big guns to the service. Also I think it's naive to ask for the entire library of all past Nintendo consoles at once and right now. This service is supposed to be relevant for years to come, so of course it's going to be prolonged in very tiny doses.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sugarcoat this, I just want to address some of the frustration in this thread. Just be patient, guys. There will be better updates.

GoOnKid said:

At this point I think we can all agree that we shouldn't have skyhigh expectations. I am very sure that heavy hitters like Earthbound, Super Mario RPG or DKC will eventually be added, but we shoudn't expect them every time. Nintendo is very patient with bringing the big guns to the service. Also I think it's naive to ask for the entire library of all past Nintendo consoles at once and right now. This service is supposed to be relevant for years to come, so of course it's going to be prolonged in very tiny doses.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sugarcoat this, I just want to address some of the frustration in this thread. Just be patient, guys. There will be better updates.

These are 25+ year old games, not new AAA blockbusters. It's perfectly reasonable to have expected them to build off of the virtual console's library rather than start over yet again. There's no need for drip feeding, as you can see it's only done harm. This service is already forever relevant, you can't play online without it.

Before Nintendo Online:

”Bahhh, who cares about 25 year old games that everyone has played a gazillion times!”

After Nintendo Online (the same people):

”OMG give me all the 25 year old games (that no one wants to play) at once!”

Around the Network
Spindel said:

Before Nintendo Online:

”Bahhh, who cares about 25 year old games that everyone has played a gazillion times!”

If you're going to do something even if it's questionable, you should try to do a good job at it, not use that as an excuse to suck.

Also the information was different, before NSO we only knew that there would be NES games. I couldn't care less if all or one were added. Now that we know they can add other systems, I now care about NES and SNES games being added, because the sooner we get through those, the sooner we can get to the N64 and Gamecube games that I actually want to play.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Spindel said:

Before Nintendo Online:

If you're going to do something even if it's questionable, you should try to do a good job at it, not use that as an excuse to suck.

Also the information was different, before NSO we only knew that there would be NES games. I couldn't care less if all or one were added. Now that we know they can add other systems, I now care about NES and SNES games being added, because the sooner we get through those, the sooner we can get to the N64 and Gamecube games that I actually want to play.

The way you phrase this comment only  makes you come across as very spoiled and entiteled. 

Lonely_Dolphin said:
GoOnKid said:

These are 25+ year old games, not new AAA blockbusters. It's perfectly reasonable to have expected them to build off of the virtual console's library rather than start over yet again. There's no need for drip feeding, as you can see it's only done harm. This service is already forever relevant, you can't play online without it.

Yes, these are 25+ year old games, and yet many of them are still in high demand, whether you like them or not. There are plenty of people who look forward to play these games, even though I will say again that this february update is shallow indeed. Of course your opinion about them is fine, no doubt, but it's not applicable to others. Like I said myself in the op, I look forward to Shadow of the Ninja.

Also, what harm has the drip feeding done? You lost me here.

Well, that is disappointing...

Seeing that our Nintendo Switch Online suscribtion money is not going to decent servers, doesn't give us cloud savings for every game and doesn't grant us any especial discount on the eShop or something (besides those NES controllers at 60 dolars)... one would think that they would use some of that money to grab some interesting third party licences for their classic catalogue (Contra, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Castlevania, Street Fighter...).

... I guess I was wrong. We get... Smash Tennis? And... Some boat shoot em up? Yeah, that shall do it...

Spindel said:

The way you phrase this comment only  makes you come across as very spoiled and entiteled. 

Your comment shows you not only have no argument but also no standards or integrity if you think we should just blindly and happily buy things without a care for their quality. Are you being paid by Nintendo, otherwise why are you shilling? People criticizing and wanting Nintendo to do better is only to your benefit.

GoOnKid said:

Yes, these are 25+ year old games, and yet many of them are still in high demand, whether you like them or not. There are plenty of people who look forward to play these games, even though I will say again that this february update is shallow indeed. Of course your opinion about them is fine, no doubt, but it's not applicable to others. Like I said myself in the op, I look forward to Shadow of the Ninja.

Also, what harm has the drip feeding done? You lost me here.

Oops I needed to make my point more clear. I brought up their age as a counterpoint to your skyhigh expectations comment. It's not like these old games take any real effort or resources on Nintendo's part to put out. You're right they're in high demand, which only boggles the mind further why Nintendo didn't make the effort to make them all available. They're just leaving free easy money on the table.

You've already acknowledged some of what it's done, the frustration and disappointment on consumers end, but it also hurts Nintendo. They would undoubtedly have a lot more subscribers than they do now if the games were all there.