By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts January 2020 Discussion Thread

At this point the Wii U isn't even really contributing to the 3DS + Wii U total. Switch has this in the bag.



Signature goes here!

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is about to blow past 3DS + Wii U.  Hopefully this will dispel the myth that the Switch is only selling to the "Nintendo market".

Yeah that was always a nonsense claim, and I suspect usually made simply to downplay the system's potential.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is about to blow past 3DS + Wii U.  Hopefully this will dispel the myth that the Switch is only selling to the "Nintendo market".

Yeah that was always a nonsense claim, and I suspect usually made simply to downplay the system's potential.

When it first released there was a chance of that. But after the first year the claim sounded ridiculous. Success or failure one generation doesn't mean the same will happen the next generation. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

TruckOSaurus said:
At this point the Wii U isn't even really contributing to the 3DS + Wii U total. Switch has this in the bag.

Switch is keeping up with the PS4 up to now, so 100+ million seems the most likely outcome. Unless, Nintendo stops supporting it. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah that was always a nonsense claim, and I suspect usually made simply to downplay the system's potential.

When it first released there was a chance of that. But after the first year the claim sounded ridiculous. Success or failure one generation doesn't mean the same will happen the next generation. 

And yet people are already predicting PS5 victory before any games have been announced or its price.



Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

When it first released there was a chance of that. But after the first year the claim sounded ridiculous. Success or failure one generation doesn't mean the same will happen the next generation. 

And yet people are already predicting PS5 victory before any games have been announced or its price.

History is on Sony's side, at least when you compare PlayStation vs Xbox. However, Microsoft does have 3 times the number of studios they did a few years ago and are launching the Xbox Series X with Halo Infinite. But Microsoft seems less focused on selling the most hardware and more focused on getting their games in the hands of as many gamers has possible with releasing all their games on PC and Game Pass day one.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read the complete article here.

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – January 2020

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 56,428 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 941,064 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,705,996 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 32,376,579

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,670,583

In January 2020 the gap in the US between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One grew in favor of the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 4 sold 56,428 more units than the Xbox One in the last month.  The PlayStation 4 has also sold 941,064 more units in the last 12 months.  The PlayStation 4 currently leads by 4.71 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Xbox One launched on November 22, 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 32.38 Million units, while the Xbox One has sold 27.67 million units.

The PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 60.05 million units in the US. The PS3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 72.13 million units lifetime in the US. The PS4 and Xbox One need to sell another 12.08 million units to reach the sales of the previous generation.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Read the complete article here.

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – January 2020

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 56,428 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 941,064 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,705,996 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 32,376,579

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,670,583

In January 2020 the gap in the US between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One grew in favor of the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 4 sold 56,428 more units than the Xbox One in the last month.  The PlayStation 4 has also sold 941,064 more units in the last 12 months.  The PlayStation 4 currently leads by 4.71 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Xbox One launched on November 22, 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 32.38 Million units, while the Xbox One has sold 27.67 million units.

The PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 60.05 million units in the US. The PS3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 72.13 million units lifetime in the US. The PS4 and Xbox One need to sell another 12.08 million units to reach the sales of the previous generation.

It's still weird seeing them so close when worldwide the gap is more than 2:1. The United States really has a relative affinity for the Xbox brand compared to the rest of the world, for whatever reason.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

It's still weird seeing them so close when worldwide the gap is more than 2:1. The United States really has a relative affinity for the Xbox brand compared to the rest of the world, for whatever reason.

Xbox still has all the third-party games as PS4 and the big 3 Xbox franchises are still somewhat popular in the US. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read the complete article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – January 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 135,533 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 907,090 – Switch

Total Lead: 2,664,386 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 17,391,542

PS4 Total Sales: 14,727,156

In January the gap in the US between the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 135,533 more units than the PlayStation 4 in the last month and 907,090 more units in the last 12 months.  The Switch currently leads by 2.66 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched on March 3, 2017. The Switch has sold 17.39 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 14.73 million units during the same timeframe.

The 35th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is January 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is September 2016.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.