By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts January 2020 Discussion Thread

9% market share for Xbox One, it's gonna be a long year for Microsoft. At least until November.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
9% market share for Xbox One, it's gonna be a long year for Microsoft. At least until November.

I'm kind of morbidly curious to see just how low it will go before it is replaced. Could we get to sub-30k weeks?

Ya that 1-2 year cross gen exclusives quote....think they will do one year now. Tops lol

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

If I recall correctly, Wii had a very good Holiday 2019, but tanked 2010 onwards.

Moren said:
If I recall correctly, Wii had a very good Holiday 2019, but tanked 2010 onwards.

No, Wii did well in 2010, selling over 17 million units.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Moren said:

Hmh. Did it happen to have explosive Holidays but a disappointing run during the year? I recall that was when the PS3 started doing better in the charts.

Moren said:
curl-6 said:

Hmh. Did it happen to have explosive Holidays but a disappointing run during the year? I recall that was when the PS3 started doing better in the charts.

It sold 8.5 million from January to September, then another 8.5 million in October-December.

trunkswd said:

Read the complete article and analysis of this article here.

Switch vs 3DS – VGChartz Gap Charts – January 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,164,634 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,477,496 - Switch

Total Lead: 10,254,950 – Switch

Switch Total Sales: 50,512,696

3DS Total Sales: 40,257,746

January 2020 is the 35th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.26 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 6.48 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 10.25 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 50.51 million units, while the 3DS sold 40.26 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.12 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently 24.61 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

Really goes to show how much more appealing Switch is as a product that it's not only tracking 10 million ahead already, but doing so at a much higher price.

By this point in it's life the 3DS cost $170 and you could get a 2DS for $130.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Really goes to show how much more appealing Switch is as a product that it's not only tracking 10 million ahead already, but doing so at a much higher price.

By this point in it's life the 3DS cost $170 and you could get a 2DS for $130.

Also shows the Switch is most likely to top 100 million sold. 

Yeah at this point I'd say that's practically a given barring some disastrous intervention like a global nuclear winter or Nintendo's management being replaced by androids sent back from the future to prevent Switch outselling the Wii because some mad scientist in 2065 was salty over losing a bet on it in his teens.

trunkswd said:

Read the complete article and analysis of this article here.

Switch vs DS – VGChartz Gap Charts – January 2020

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 297,238 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,962,080 - DS

Total Lead: 1,249,633 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 50,512,696

DS Total Sales: 51,762,329

January is the 35th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the DS by 297,238 units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the DS has outsold the Switch by 5.96 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 1.25 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 50.51 million units, while the DS sold 51.76 million units during the same timeframe.

The 35th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is January 2020, while for the DS it is September 2007.

Damn impressive that the Switch has been able to keep within spitting distance given what an absolute monster the DS was.