By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Price Will Likely Be Determined by Xbox Series X Price

https://sea.ign.com/hardware-1/157429/news/ps5-price-will-likely-be-determined-by-xbox-series-x-price

" Chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki stated that he intends to ensure a "smooth transition" for Sony from the PS4 to PS5. But he was questioned on how we will do this and asked which costs Sony can control.

As translated by VGC, Totoki said Sony must control the labour and personnel costs, and will prepare the right volume for production and sales ahead of the PS5 launch.

He then said that one factor Sony can't control is the "price level" of the next-gen console space. Totoki implies that Sony is waiting to see what the price of the Xbox Series X will be before putting a price on the PS5, so as to be competitive.

"What is not very clear or visible is because we are competing in the space, so it’s very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this point of time, and depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy and how much costs we are prepared to pay."

Totoki then adds that balancing these predictable costs against the ones Sony can't foresee means that nothing concrete can be said at this time. "But when I said smooth transition, we mean that we will definitely choose the optimal approach and that we will try to have the best balance so that we will be profitable in the life, during the life of this product," Totoki said. "

Around the Network

So they're going to do an e3 2013? And wait till the day after and announce a cheaper price? lol.

Well, if the rumors of MS doing a cheaper console along with the 12tf console are true, any attempt at trying to be cheaper seems doomed to fail. Of course, that's operating under the assumption MS will do two models (which seems rather likely at this point based on rumors).

Barkley said:

So they're going to do an e3 2013? And wait till the day after and announce a cheaper price? lol.

Sony didn't decide the ps4's price in one day.

And what if Xbox Series X price will be determined by PS5 price? We're gonna in a loop lol

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Well, if the rumors of MS doing a cheaper console along with the 12tf console are true, any attempt at trying to be cheaper seems doomed to fail. Of course, that's operating under the assumption MS will do two models (which seems rather likely at this point based on rumors).

If Microsoft choose to go with 2 SKU (premium and cheap ) then Xbox series X (12 tf) will not going to be cheap. But if Microsoft decide to choose only one SKU , Microsoft can play the price .

But i bet Sony also can play the price games due to their benefit on current gen sales and revenue from PS4 sales and games sales.  Sony business now focus more on Playstation their live and butter now depend on Playstation , I bet they are willing to bring a lot of blood and sacrifice to make Playstation number one again.

AlbiNecroxz said:
And what if Xbox Series X price will be determined by PS5 price? We're gonna in a loop lol

HollyGamer said:
NobleTeam360 said:

If Microsoft choose to go with 2 SKU (premium and cheap ) then Xbox series X (12 tf) will not going to be cheap. But if Microsoft decide to choose only one SKU , Microsoft can play the price .

But i bet Sony also can play the price games due to their benefit on current gen sales and revenue from PS4 sales and games sales.  Sony business now focus more on Playstation their live and butter now depend on Playstation , I bet they are willing to bring a lot of blood and sacrifice to make Playstation number one again.

Yeah, if MS only does one model, then I fully expect to see a 500 price point on Series X and could see Sony doing 450 or even 399 on PS5. 

Nu-13 said:
Barkley said:

Sony didn't decide the ps4's price in one day.

Well we don't know, but we know that steve Race literally announced the 299$ line literally 10 minutes after Sega announced 399$ for the Saturn and we also know that when Sony did not care about the price and announced the 599$ price it did not do that well for them.  

I guess it is slow news day.

AlbiNecroxz said:

50$ for both next gens, yay!