Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Switch get third party support post PS5?

Will Switch get AAA support after 9-th gen consoles launch

Yes, as good or better 25 34.25%
 
Yes, but less games 18 24.66%
 
Yes, Switch will get exclusives 11 15.07%
 
No, just spinoff games 9 12.33%
 
No, Switch will get dropped 10 13.70%
 
Total:73

It depends. I imagine any cross-gen games could still potentially be ported to the Switch. But once third parties stop supporting the PS4 & XBO, it's likely that the only games they'll release for the Switch are either remasters of old games or new titles made especially for the Switch, which will probably not be common in either case. Well, except for Ubisoft, who will probably keep releasing Just Dance for the Switch for the next decade like they did with the Wii.



Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
It depends. I imagine any cross-gen games could still potentially be ported to the Switch. But once third parties stop supporting the PS4 & XBO, it's likely that the only games they'll release for the Switch are either remasters of old games or new titles made especially for the Switch, which will probably not be common in either case. Well, except for Ubisoft, who will probably keep releasing Just Dance for the Switch for the next decade like they did with the Wii.

Don't forget about indies and other non-demanding games. Those aren't going to go PS5/XSX/High-spec-PC only.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 February 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Shadow1980 said:
It depends. I imagine any cross-gen games could still potentially be ported to the Switch. But once third parties stop supporting the PS4 & XBO, it's likely that the only games they'll release for the Switch are either remasters of old games or new titles made especially for the Switch, which will probably not be common in either case. Well, except for Ubisoft, who will probably keep releasing Just Dance for the Switch for the next decade like they did with the Wii.

Don't forget about indies and other non-demanding games. Those aren't going to go PS5/XSX/High-spec-PC only.

Yeah. Those too. I was thinking mostly about AAA games from the big third parties, but the Switch has gotten really good support from indies. I imagine that will not change any.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 14 February 2020

I wonder if Switch could handle RDR2 in 540p on lowest details, probably not as it's much more demanding than Witcher 3 on my PC.



Radek said:
I wonder if Switch could handle RDR2 in 540p on lowest details, probably not as it's much more demanding than Witcher 3 on my PC.

It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it could be done. Both games are 1080p/30fps with some framerate drops on PS4. RDR2 is a little lower res on Xbone but not by much; 864p vs 900p.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Radek said:
I wonder if Switch could handle RDR2 in 540p on lowest details, probably not as it's much more demanding than Witcher 3 on my PC.

It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it could be done. Both are 1080p/30fps with some framerate drops on PS4. RDR2 is a little lower res on Xbone but not by much; 864p vs 900p.

I can actually make a 540p screenshot quite easily by setting my res to 1080p and enabling 0.5X resolution scale in RDR2 graphics settings.

540p resolution on 1080p screen, but settings are still medium-high with ultra textures as I was too lazy to change that lol.

Open the picture in new tab so it's fullscreen.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad in 540p, but this is not lowest settings.

Last edited by Radek - on 15 February 2020

Genuine, non cash-grabby AAA support is not great today, and will probably get worse, but at this point Nintendo shouldn't care. With a new batch of big first party titles on the horizon and indie studios choosing them over all other platforms, they have enough to get by with, much better than they did with the Wii, with similar limitations.



Radek said:
curl-6 said:

It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it could be done. Both are 1080p/30fps with some framerate drops on PS4. RDR2 is a little lower res on Xbone but not by much; 864p vs 900p.

I can actually make a 540p screenshot quite easily by setting my res to 1080p and enabling 0.5X resolution scale in RDR2 graphics settings.

540p resolution on 1080p screen, but settings are still medium-high with ultra textures as I was too lazy to change that lol.

Open the picture in new tab so it's fullscreen.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad in 540p, but this is not lowest settings.

It'd look a lot more cut down than that in terms of the detail and settings, but I honestly think a Switch port would be doable. A year ago I would've said hell no, but then a year ago I also would've said hell no to Witcher 3.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.