By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Okami - PS2 VS Wii - Graphical Comparison

I prefer the Wii version. It all depends on if you like the faded rice paper look or the colors being more vibrant. By the way, bought this yesterday and don't want to overreact about how good it is but I can honestly say that if you have never played it that you should pick it up immediately. I like the idea of a game being about creating life instead of being about leaving a trail of destruction behind you. It's refreshing and probably why it didn't sell originally.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

My first impressions on the Wii version of the game... This game marks a departure from the usual third-party waggle-thons, in that you'll actually not accomplish much by waving the Wii Remote around wildly. You have to make small, precise shakes that come to a solid stop to perform attacks. Also, brush strokes tend to work best when they're kept small (the game doesn't really seem to care about the size of the stroke, just the shape). It takes a bit of getting used to at first, but once you do get used to it, it's quite fun. On another subject, the characters for Z and 2 look pretty similar, so be sure to note button shape when being given instructions; I thought you had to hit 2 to save at first, until I realized it was Z.

Overall, I'm finding it a very good quality port of the PS2 version, and decidedly better-looking without the rice paper texture in the way. What it loses in purely artistic appeal it makes up for in spades with vibrancy. And widescreen is definitely nice to have for this game.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Definitly much better on the Wii. I don't know why people are so persistant in trying to take this game down a notch. "oh the PS2 in theory could do all those stats, just because it didn't doesn't mean that should be counted against it." Great argument, that doesn't come across as pety or vindictive at all. By that logic I can argue that the Wii version is better because the Wii is capable of doing more with Okami than what we see in the Wii version. Its a silly pissing contest.

I highly recommend this game for the Wii. Definitly a step up from the PS2 installment though controls will always be a matter of preference.

great game, got it on ps2. everyone should have a copy. its that good.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

the wii only has only brighter colors. Other than that they are the same. Anyway i have already played the game on my slim PS2 and tested on my 60g PS3 upscaled. Upscaled on the ps3 looks sharper and plays a little smoother, but on my big screen either way it looks dated. I got bored really quick with it, anyway i had rent it

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

Around the Network

the real quesiton now is which version will sell the most.

Ok I may be a HD "fanboy" so take what I say now with a grain of salt. But they seriously killed much of the look of the PS2 Okami. I know Wii gamers like bright colors (I always see Mario and think Extasy must be nice) but this is too much.

Yes the colors are brighter and everything is now purple and yellow. BUT THIS IS NO GOOD THING.

Definitely don't see the technical upgrade (ie. 480i->p) but i do like the colours they have chosen...

jlauro said:
The original PS2 version was faded that way on purpose to make it look like rice paper. They either couldn't easily port that to the wii, or just decided that most people prefer brighter colors. Anyways, the PS2 version was made to look that way.

I felt the faded colours of the PS2 version worked better with the art style. Actually makes it look like a Japanese watercolour.

If you play Okami Wii, you can see the difference in the pre-rendered scenes. I would have liked the PS2's colour and texture with the Wii's 16:9 and IR pointer, but you can't have everything.

The game still looks gorgeous, and I'm not one to quibble. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I like the visuals better on Wii. So much more vibrant and happy.
The rice paper filter in the ps2 version does not look good at all in my opinion.