By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The LGBT thread (Revisited)

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Pfew this thread has become a bit tense.

I do not really think we have a lot of transphobes in this community but people are just afraid that well known characters that have build a this IP get shoved to the side in order to push a political agenda, and certain information on the background of Naughty dogs vice president and complains of the devs seems to partly point in that direction.

If Kratos got slaughtered in GOW3 before he could fully climb mount olympus to take his revenge in order for a female to take his place then people being upset about that would not assumingly be sexist.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/02/18/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-part-2-playstation-4-fan-art-agenda/

This is apparently what counts as "pushing an agenda".

If he posted fanart of someone "shipping" two heterosexual characters who were never explicitly romantic in the series, do you think there would have been similar outrage?

There would be an outrage but very possible not similar yet there would still be outrage for pushing an agenda,you do not need to assumingly think the worst of people that do not like this direction as it has mostly nothing to do with any dislikes against certain groups of people but the fear that a story might suffer under unneeded inclusiveness.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Pfew this thread has become a bit tense.

I do not really think we have a lot of transphobes in this community but people are just afraid that well known characters that have build a this IP get shoved to the side in order to push a political agenda, and certain information on the background of Naughty dogs vice president and complains of the devs seems to partly point in that direction.

If Kratos got slaughtered in GOW3 before he could fully climb mount olympus to take his revenge in order for a female to take his place then people being upset about that would not assumingly be sexist.

I think you might be wrong there. I think there are a lot of them, but they're subtle about it and not blatantly shitty about it. If they weren't transphobic, they wouldn't be using these games and these arguments against trans inclusion. they're masking their bigotry with the call to 'not be political'.

People are not as bad as you think,what you see behind their mask might just be your own negative view on a certain amount of the population.

They arent using the games as arguments against any inclusion but they just want a game to focus on the game itself first and when it has a great story it can has as many inclusion as is needed.

You know what? I think more companies DO need to come out and say 'yeah, we do have a political agenda, and that agenda is to normalize typically marginalized groups. we feel that everyone deserves respect. our 'agenda' is that nobody deserves hatred, and I don't see how anyone could feel that's a bad thing.'

I just wanna see the inevitable meltdown by all the folks who subconsciously are bigoted and just don't know it yet. Because, like, last I checked the entirety of the gaming masses have been clamouring for gaming to be seen as an art form, so I'm pretty sure that opens up all developers and creators to have whatever artistic vision they want. If I want to write a book featuring fantasy lesbians teaming up to take on the world, I can do that because I think that it's important to represent every sexuality and gender and ideal. some might hate it for pandering (to a group that is still a minority and has been historically treated poorly), but I just say it's the story I wanna tell. why is it any different for game devs?

Honestly, the whole argument is stupid. It's absolutely stupid, and it's disgusting and immature and pathetic. and I hate having to walk on eggshells any time the discussion is brought up because the reality is that, if you're arguing that any gay/lesbian/trans/nonbinary/etc representation is a political message and that's somehow a bad thing, you're a bigot. If you're saying something along the lines of 'I don't have a problem with representation as long as it's done a certain way or not done a different way', then you're a bigot AND you're stupid because you're trying to control how others make art, how others live, and how others represent themselves.

You might not even know you're being bigoted. you might genuinely feel justified in your rules and regulations and perception, but the reality is that you are bigoted. You are. IT's not even a discussion or debate anymore. Either you need to be informed of this bigotry so you can reflect upon yourself and change your behaviour, or you need to be called out on it so you can be shamed into changing or growing up or whatever. Either way, this behaviour needs to be addressed, it needs to be dealt with.

And no, being uncomfortable around something that you are unfamiliar with is NOT the same as outwardly crying about it and whining about it. I was uncomfortable around trans people for the longest time, feeling that they 'needed to be clear' or have a different designation (you're not male, you're TRANS MALE' or whatever.) Then I grew up and realized that what someone else does, how someone else presents themselves, and how someone else lives their life is...

none

of

my

fucking

business.

None. The only time it becomes ANY of my business is if it affects me (Like, if I was dating them or whatever.) A trans person does not need to adhere to the expectations or rules or regulations of anyone that isn't going to be fishing around in their pants. Once I realized that, I quickly realized how many of these 'micro-aggressions' were outright bigoted and oppressive. They may not be as bad as 'tranny fags can rot in hell' or whatever, but it's still a small way to exert control over someone else for being different by shaming them into behaviour YOU deem appropriate. That's not cool. that's why it's called a 'micro-aggression', and the anti-SJWs out there have demonized the term despite it being remarkably poignant and effective. Hell, they demonized the term SJW by using it as a pejorative against anyone who...you know...believes even minorities deserve respect and representation.

Game devs are and should be allowed to do whatever the fuck they want. If they want a trans drag queen lesbian asexual alien fucker in their game, that's their right. It's also your right to not like that. but don't pretend you're in the right if you raise a fuss about it and certainly don't act innocent if you're actively campaigning to force them to change their artistic vision because their lesbian character offended your pathetic snowflake sensibility.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

SpokenTruth said:
Immersiveunreality said:

People are not as bad as you think,what you see behind their mask might just be your own negative view on a certain amount of the population.

They arent using the games as arguments against any inclusion but they just want a game to focus on the game itself first and when it has a great story it can has as many inclusion that is needed.

So tell us, when was the last time Naughty Dog put out a bad game or a game that didn't have a great story?

Crash

Mothafuckin'

Bandicoot! 

Bitch's story isn't even as deep as mario's! 

(This post brought to you by an unhealthy dose of sarcasm)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Immersiveunreality said:
JWeinCom said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/02/18/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-part-2-playstation-4-fan-art-agenda/

This is apparently what counts as "pushing an agenda".

If he posted fanart of someone "shipping" two heterosexual characters who were never explicitly romantic in the series, do you think there would have been similar outrage?

There would be an outrage but very possible not similar yet there would still be outrage for pushing an agenda,you do not need to assumingly think the worst of people that do not like this direction as it has mostly nothing to do with any dislikes against certain groups of people but the fear that a story might suffer under unneeded inclusiveness.

I'm not assuming the worst of people, I'm making an educated decision based on my observations.  If you think that the sexuality aspect of this has nothing to do with the backlash, I'd say you're being very naive... especially because most of the negative comments focus specifically on that aspect.

Can you define unneeded inclusiveness?  For example, was including Elana in Uncharted "unnecessary inclusiveness"?  I mean, there's no storyline reason that it was necessary for Drake to have a hot blonde female love interest.  It seems to me that inclusiveness is only a problem when certain groups are included...

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Immersiveunreality said:

They arent using the games as arguments against any inclusion but they just want a game to focus on the game itself first and when it has a great story it can has as many inclusion that is needed.

So tell us, when was the last time Naughty Dog put out a bad game or a game that didn't have a great story?

Never, but i tell you that consumers have the right to worry about it without being called bad names.

And the future is not set in stone,not even with an history of great games.

Immersiveunreality said:
SpokenTruth said:

Never, but i tell you that consumers have the right to worry about it without being called bad names.

Some people need to be called bad names. if they're not gonna respect others, why do they deserve respect? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Overall...

The TLoU2 spoiler thread should have been locked a long time ago. I appreciate some mods did put up a warning, but it ultimately went unheeded, or the attacks became more veiled or just tried to toe the line.

A thread like that can talk about story and character development and that's good - but it ultimately became a thread about appearances and gender identity. There's not going to be any respect if toxic environments like that are allowed to grow unchallenged (even if, there is no explicit rule broken).

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

I'm not assuming the worst of people, I'm making an educated decision based on my observations.  If you think that the sexuality aspect of this has nothing to do with the backlash, I'd say you're being very naive... especially because most of the negative comments focus specifically on that aspect.

Can you define unneeded inclusiveness?  For example, was including Elana in Uncharted "unnecessary inclusiveness"?  I mean, there's no storyline reason that it was necessary for Drake to have a hot blonde female love interest.  It seems to me that inclusiveness is only a problem when certain groups are included...

Your observations need too much assumptions,when the game is fully out and if it is a great game then you could assume people being transphobic IF they still have a problem with those characters being in there.Unneeded inclusiveness is when there is a good amount of PR focus on diversity but when it fails to deliver interesting characters or adds it without understanding.

Bolded:And yet that DLC for Uncharted had plenty of inclusiveness and not a problem right? 

Runa216 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Some people need to be called bad names. if they're not gonna respect others, why do they deserve respect? 

Because you do not know them and even if they did not respect others,why would it matter for them what names you call out.

How do you differentiate between those without unjustly making good people into bad ones?