By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Covid-19. Not the best name, but it will do.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
John2290 said:

It doesn't matter how small the percentage of a population that are carrier's of the virus for that long, it matters about how fucking long of a time that is. 24 days, even if it is only 1 in 1,000 is bonkers. That's close personal contact with enough people to cause exponential growth in itself. People downplaying this bit of news are the ones caught the propaganda to save face for the economy. Lets just hope that, by the luck of some higher deity, that the spread was held soon enough yet that looks very unlikely to be the case. 

Of course it matters. The lower the average incubation period, which I believe somebody mentioned was only 3 days, the less chance of it actually spreading. A few outliers does change that, yes, but not by anywhere near enough to be worried. Besides, you could also flip it the other way and say that if you're one of the people that it would take 24 days to incubate... well that's an extra 21ish days you've got over anybody else that picks up the disease for them to develop a cure before you even suffer any symptoms!

Besides, if you're that worried about it, just do the maths. Work out your chances of actually dying to this thing. After that work out your chances of dying on the way to work. I'm pretty sure you'll worry about the new corona virus much less then. You might not want to go to work anymore... but that's a different problem

The CDC considers the Incubation period to be between 2 and 14 days. 24 days are massively overblown: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Of course it matters. The lower the average incubation period, which I believe somebody mentioned was only 3 days, the less chance of it actually spreading. A few outliers does change that, yes, but not by anywhere near enough to be worried. Besides, you could also flip it the other way and say that if you're one of the people that it would take 24 days to incubate... well that's an extra 21ish days you've got over anybody else that picks up the disease for them to develop a cure before you even suffer any symptoms!

Besides, if you're that worried about it, just do the maths. Work out your chances of actually dying to this thing. After that work out your chances of dying on the way to work. I'm pretty sure you'll worry about the new corona virus much less then. You might not want to go to work anymore... but that's a different problem

The CDC considers the Incubation period to be between 2 and 14 days. 24 days are massively overblown: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html

a single, non-peer reviewed, study by the team that first identified the SARS virus says the longest incubation period for covid-19 they have tracked with reasonable confidence was 24 days - that's where that number is from

Ka-pi96 said:

If going to work had a mortality rate of 2%, I would have died ~5 times in the past year.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

today shows a huge increase in cases, as 13,332 clinically diagnosed patients (show the symptoms, lung-CT-scans show abnormality, patients in active treatment) have been added to the tally - these haven't undergone the specific testing for the covid-19 virus yet though

Around the Network

The tally is at

60329 confirmed cases 1369 deaths and 5995 recovered

Pyro as Bill said:
Ka-pi96 said:

If going to work had a mortality rate of 2%, I would have died ~5 times in the past year.

Going to work hasn't a mortality rate of 2% but getting hit by a car may have such a rate.

It's not as If everyone will get the virus so that you can't assume everyone will be hit by a car.

China has like 250k deadly traffic accidents per year and we have over 1m a year worldwide. As long as this virus won't kill many more you shouldn't be more scared of dying from that than leaving your house to die in a traffic accident.

At least not If you aren't in a chinese area where there are many cases.

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 13 February 2020

Its worse than SARS

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

So the official numbers are getting updated massively to appear closer to the real hidden numbers, just in once, the effect is multiplied by more than 2.
Don't expect soon a Nintendo Direct.

barneystinson69 said:
Its worse than SARS

It is "SARS-CoV2"

Aren't sequels supposed to be worse?