By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cyberpunk 2077 delayed until September 2020

It'll be so close to next gen it might hurt it.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Benji revealed day before yesterday when FF7 was delayed until 1 week before Cyberpunk, that Cyberpunk preorders were tracking well above FF7 Remake, even in a PS4 vs PS4 only contest.

The delay happened for one of 2 reasons, probably a mix of the 2:

1. The game actually needs more time to be ready
  2. They decided at the last minute to make the game cross-gen, so they moved it closer to the launch window for PS5 and XSX so that they can release it on them a month or two after the current gen version releases.

A couple of things.

1.) Even if one is doing better than the other, they're not looking at it from that angle, but rather how to maximize profits (within reason).
If they project better sales in a less crowded time of the year, it can make sense to move it there. Whether they're selling better than FF7 or not.

2.) From my understanding, he has access to retailer info. But I don't imagine he is privy to PSN pre-orders. Since FF7 is only released on PS4, that will be where a big chunk of the pre-orders will be.

Not suggesting one is selling better than the other. I don't care which one does either. I just hope they both do well.

But personally I think this is more likely just a coincidence. If not, then I think RE3's sudden announcement last month was more likely what tipped the scales. Because FF7 was already relatively close to Cyberpunk even before the delay, and was known for quite a while.

Last edited by Hiku - on 16 January 2020

deskpro2k3 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I assume you are joking, but just in case you were not, Benji revealed day before yesterday when FF7 was delayed until 1 week before Cyberpunk, that Cyberpunk preorders were tracking well above FF7 Remake, even in a PS4 vs PS4 only contest.

The delay happened for one of 2 reasons, probably a mix of the 2:

1. The game actually needs more time to be ready
  2. They decided at the last minute to make the game cross-gen, so they moved it closer to the launch window for PS5 and XSX so that they can release it on them a month or two after the current gen version releases.

Never heard of'em, but I can tell you FF7 Remake will not be hurt at all, people will buy it and some will buy both. I question where he is getting these pre order numbers from. I've yet to see cyberpunk 2077 make it on the top 100 Amazon best sellers list yet. Even though it has the advantage of being multiplat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2020/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_pg_1?ie=UTF8&pg=1

Benji is a pretty well known insider, surprised you've never heard of him. He seems to have very good US retailer sources (he's usually like within 10-15% of the NPD with his predictions afaik), and has some sources with retailers in other countries as well. Considering CDP's last game, Witcher 3, sold over 20m since release in 2015 (and that was before the recent sales boost thanks to the Witcher show on Netflix), while the highest selling FF game ever, the first FF7, sold 12.3m including ports after 2 decades, I'd say his assertion that Cyberpunk preorders were ahead of FF7R was likely accurate. I highly doubt that CDP moved because they were scared of FF7R being so close, imo they moved either because the game needed more dev time or because they decided to make it cross-gen, or a mix of the two. 

But none of the preorder comparisons really matter now that the 2 are no longer in direct competition thanks to the Cyberpunk delay. I'm glad things worked out in the end so that we don't have 3 big AAA games within 3 weeks, lol.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 January 2020

BraLoD said:

Quite possible, as many may hold off on purchasing it until they make the transition to next gen.

I'd guess they're trying to kill two birds with one stone. Not only are they getting out of the way of a busier than normal, and more quality filled, early portion of the year, but they just may be able to tap into that GTAV late gen magic.

GTAV didn't come to next gen for about a year, but what if it had come almost right away?

EricHiggin said:
BraLoD said:

Quite possible, as many may hold off on purchasing it until they make the transition to next gen.

I'd guess they're trying to kill two birds with one stone. Not only are they getting out of the way of a busier than normal, and more quality filled, early portion of the year, but they just may be able to tap into that GTAV late gen magic.

GTAV didn't come to next gen for about a year, but what if it had come almost right away?

That's the reason why it worked though, they waited for a sufficient gap before making another release again. Litteraly, the game sales prayed upon a lot of early dippers who got it on the former gen to get it on the new platforms this time.

Do it with a lesser gap between both and I guarantee this will not act in their favor. Actually, they might just hold up their purchase to get it immediately on the newer platforms instead.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
EricHiggin said:

That's the reason why it worked though, they waited for a sufficient gap before making another release again. Litteraly, the game sales prayed upon a lot of early dippers who got it on the former gen to get it on the new platforms this time.

Do it with a lesser gap between both and I guarantee this will not act in their favor. Actually, they might just hold up their purchase to get it immediately on the newer platforms instead.

I don't think it will hurt them. It might not be a GTA V double dipping success story, but I doubt CDP would want that anyway, they want to keep their image as the most consumer friendly developer/publisher, so they would likely announce a next-gen port before the current gen versions release just to let people that don't want to double dip know so that they don't feel ripped off. If it releases on PS4/XB1/PC in September, and then XSX/PS5 in November, I could still see it selling like 4m copies on PS4/XB1 just in those 2 months, there will be alot of people who just can't stand to wait 2 months, or who have the money to double dip on purpose. All in all the last gen versions in that scenario could hit a combined 8m+ lifetime I think, with next-gen versions pulling in another 8m+ lifetime, plus probably 8m+ lifetime on PC (their last game, Witcher 3, was already at almost 6m on Steam alone as of the big July 2018 Steam Data leak, taking into account Steam sales since then, as well as sales on CDP's own GOG.com, I'd say that Witcher 3 has safely sold over 8m on PC now).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 16 January 2020

Mar1217 said:
EricHiggin said:

Mostly agree. It should still lead to more sales in general over time though, because some will have no choice but to wait years for a PS5, and won't be able to wait for Cyberpunk. They will double dip, if the game is that great, so extra get's made anyway, but probably not near as much as with GTAV.

Also depends on PS5 launch titles though. If it's a lot stronger than PS4, which I'd guess it should be stronger to some degree, then Cyberpunk will be more overshadowed than GTAV was.

It's okay guys, to be scarred of Final Fantasy VII Remake is understandable.

Keiji said:

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Keiji said:

Ah yes so scared then needed 5 months after it.